Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You did the right thing. Congrats for doing what needed to be done. You just showed that it IS possible if you put your best effort in. Well done my friend! People should look to you as a role model in this situation. +1
A vast over-simplification of a very complex issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:42 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
If most of the 99ers hold Ph.Ds, then perhaps they are some of the ones who are not "settling" for any job like they should be just to get off UE. You take A job and use it to tide you over till the "right" job comes along.

Simple.
Simple and wrong.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM

527 posts, read 1,020,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

the only ones that lost on their 401ks are those that just got in

if you got in when it was 14k of course you lost when it went down to 6k,,but its back up to almost 12k now

my 401k took a hit in 08/09 sure, most did..but the smart ones invested more heavy at 6k, and now they are looking pretty

unless your 'boyfried' hasnt added to his 401k since the loss, it is almost assured to be worth more now, than it was in 08...his loss, has been recuped.....
Oh please- dont know why you have "boyfried" in quotes. But dont assume who were the smart ones. And honey not all recouped - some people had large amounts of money invested and didnt recoup their loss. So please give it a rest.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:50 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,790 times
Quote:
Why in the world did it cost you that much to move across town? We didn't pay anywhere near that to move and get settled after relocating to Wisconsin from Florida.
1st, last, deposit ONLY. I live in Santa Barbara, CA.

If I added in the moving van and all the various small things it would be more.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Pee tests are best, and of course they have to be done at an office, not at home, that's a dumb idea. The cleaning kits aren't worth jack. They get 24 hours' notice and they have to report to an office on time or else they lose benefits. If you're late once, okay, unless you're more than 15 minutes late, in which case you're done immediatley. If you're late twice, you're done. If you test positive for anything whatsoever, you're done, unless you have a valid prescription and doctor's note for opiate use. No one at the methadone clinic can obtain welfare, as many people get off heroin just to get addicted to methadone; if you're addicted to pills, no welfare. If you give the workers at the drug testing office any attitude or threaten them, you're done. If they catch you trying to fake it, you're done.

It's all common sense stuff, really.
Just a note on the stuff you drink to get a clean test, yes they do work very well. You drink the stuff before you take the test (which is taken at the doc office) and then you have a clean drug test.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

That's amazing, because I moved clear from Texas to the Pacific Northwest last year for half of what it cost you to move across town, and I've got a ton of stuff.
It was expensive but that was the housing expense ONLY. The actual move was fairly cheap. I too have a ton of stuff (being married nearly 20 years will do that to ya) but the van was cheap compared to the cost to get into my house. It also was what I was expecting to pay but was less than many places I looked at.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Yeah I am wondering about that 6 k myself.
I moved 40 miles bought a new sofa and some decorations and rented a truck and it didn't cost even half that much.
When your rent is nearly 2K a month and there is a deposit and last months rent it is completely normal. Many people I know who moved to homes in this area had a 10K deposit. It happens.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I guess it depends on where you live. Where I am there are plenty of community colleges that offer tuition for around 4-6k per year. I don't know about you, but I consider that to be pretty cheap.

And I've never heard of anyone spending that much money to move across town. It cost me less to move across the whole state! The most I've spent on a move was about $450 which included the security deposit for the new apt.
You must live somewhere MUCH less expensive than Santa Barbara.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
I'm for testing that averages monthly but they have to be relatively random or else people will clean up for a few days (weed aside) and/or prepare to fake it. Pee tests are best, and of course they have to be done at an office, not at home, that's a dumb idea. The cleaning kits aren't worth jack. They get 24 hours' notice and they have to report to an office on time or else they lose benefits. If you're late once, okay, unless you're more than 15 minutes late, in which case you're done immediatley. If you're late twice, you're done. If you test positive for anything whatsoever, you're done, unless you have a valid prescription and doctor's note for opiate use. No one at the methadone clinic can obtain welfare, as many people get off heroin just to get addicted to methadone; if you're addicted to pills, no welfare. If you give the workers at the drug testing office any attitude or threaten them, you're done. If they catch you trying to fake it, you're done.

It's all common sense stuff, really.
Unfortunately there are ways around the tests besides the cleaning kits, though I've heard that some work pretty well. People can buy clean urine on the internet or get it from a friend, with little belts and stuff that they use to attach it to themselves. The only way around it would be to have someone standing there and watching them pee. Do you really want the government to be able to do that? And then it would open up other people who have to be tested for work having to endure the same treatment. There has to be a better way than forcing people to go pee in front of others, but it's the only way to make 100% sure that the person isn't cheating.

http://www.ureasample.com/

This is an example of what I mean. Druggies know about these and use them all the time.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-15-2010 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 04:53 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
I am not unemployed. In fact I'm self-employed, which is something you seem to have advocated rather strongly in this thread. It is Not necessary to try to make your responses to posts so personal. You may be surprised to discover that you are often wrong. I stand by my belief that the 99rs are not "welfare queens." And I'd refer you to the 60 Minutes piece about the 99rs. Many who were interviewed were, in fact, Ph.Ds. Almost all were college graduates, which is something you also suggested as a solution to the problem of no jobs, going back to school and getting a college degree. If I may be so bold, I'd say that the solution to the problem of unemployent is not as simple as your suggestions for dealing with it.
I saw that 60 Minutes piece, too. My response: A degree in liberal arts or 19th century art history or 20th century women's studies is barely a degree, and is vocationally worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies