Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:38 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
yea- and whats your point? Make some sense there Andrea girl.
BTW I NEVER said it didnt matter-
I'm still trying to figure out how someone "well off" would cash in their 401(k)....ever. People cash in their 401(k)'s when they are broke and need money. It doesn't make financial sense to do it otherwise due to the taxes and fees levied against the funds. And the only way to "lose" 100K would be to cash out.

So either she's lying and he didn't really lose 100K (because the market has been awesome this year except for May-July) or else she's lying and he's not really well off, and had to cash out during the flash-crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 02:55 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
What a load of crap. $15k/year is the equivalent of working 40 hours at the federal minimum wage. But you can't "sacrifice" your UE to go work for minimum wage? That is total bull. You are living off the taxpayer b/c you don't feel like getting a job, which is WRONG.

Sorry, but it's your own fault if you have no skills (which, if you've done a variety of jobs, I don't know why you would think that). If your art is enough to pay your way, fine, but if not, then you don't deserve a handout just so you can continue your art and you also don't deserve a handout just so you can attempt to start a business. Once you turn a profit, you should not be eligible for UE. I don't know how it works in reality but that's how it should be. Heck, any ol' Joe could get himself fired so he could receive UE to pay his bills while he uses savings or something to start a business. What crap.

The system is set up to allow people to mooch, and that is what is wrong.
i am not asking for a handout.
i have earned unemployment from years of paying taxes, and being a good citizen. i could have collected it immediately, but i waited 8 months while looking for a job.

if it makes you feel safer in your own world to believe that all of us on unemployment are lazy slobs, then go ahead. but the only reason you want to think that way is so that you can believe it will never happen to you. so no andrea, we are all losers. all 6 million of us are all lazy. does that help you sleep at night? frankly i really don't care what an obviously unreasonable and argumentative (as well as purely hateful) person like you thinks. i know who i am- and i know i am a hard worker, and i have done jobs that someone like you would probably run screaming, and hung on longer than most. i am no prima donna. believe me, if i have to work minimum wage i have no pride nor any laziness about it. i have done it before. i am not receiving a handout, i received something that i have paid into for the past 20 years. would you call the G.I. Bill a handout? give me a break. take a pill. grow a heart. reasonable arguments cannot be had with someone as derisive and obviously in a froth as you. there but for the grace of god go you.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:11 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
yea- and whats your point? Make some sense there Andrea girl.
BTW I NEVER said it didnt matter-
Do I honestly have to spell it out? You said HE is well off, and then went on to say there's a $35k wedding (which is ridiculous and you are bragging) in the works. I said it's HIS money and you proceeded to tell me YOU helped make the money. Your story just doesn't add up. It doesn't matter, though, now, your credibility is shot, so just don't worry about responding.

You didn't say it didn't matter per se, but you implied it, as you cited he is well off anyway.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i am not asking for a handout.
i have earned unemployment from years of paying taxes, and being a good citizen. i could have collected it immediately, but i waited 8 months while looking for a job.

if it makes you feel safer in your own world to believe that all of us on unemployment are lazy slobs, then go ahead. but the only reason you want to think that way is so that you can believe it will never happen to you. so no andrea, we are all losers. all 6 million of us are all lazy. does that help you sleep at night? frankly i really don't care what an obviously unreasonable and argumentative (as well as purely hateful) person like you thinks. i know who i am- and i know i am a hard worker, and i have done jobs that someone like you would probably run screaming, and hung on longer than most. i am no prima donna. believe me, if i have to work minimum wage i have no pride nor any laziness about it. i have done it before. i am not receiving a handout, i received something that i have paid into for the past 20 years. would you call the G.I. Bill a handout? give me a break. take a pill. grow a heart. reasonable arguments cannot be had with someone as derisive and obviously in a froth as you. there but for the grace of god go you.
I beg to differ. You stated you would not leave your cushy UE benefits to get a minimum wage job. What you are not understanding is that you would make the same amount of money on UE as you would working. Thus, you are happy to sit on your rear and collect a check instead. Also, unless you live in PA, NJ or one other state that I forgot, YOU have not paid into UE, although since after 26 weeks the money comes from federal taxes, I suppose you could say that, but it's not like it's a trust fund set aside for you that you can draw from at any time. Those taxes go to fund the running of our country, not for your personal lazy spell.

I find it HILARIOUS that everyone who disagrees with me on these threads says I'm hateful. I have not a hateful bone in my body. I just seriously dislike my tax money going to people who want to sit on their butts with their hands out, people such as yourself. Realize, I am basing this on what YOU yourself said. Again, it's time to call a spade a spade.

And YET AGAIN I WILL REPEAT MYSELF: I never said ALL people on UE or welfare are lazy, slobs, bums, druggies, etc. I believe MANY are, but I do not paint with as broad a brush as you excuse-makers love to use.

I will repeat myself again and say I'm not afraid that it will happen to me, I know for a fact it will not happen to me. I'm a business owner, I can't get laid off if I tried. My job is secure, either way. My fear is that this wonderful country is going to screw its citizens by allowing all sorts of handouts. Do you have a clue as to how much it costs to keep UE going for years on end?

The GI bill is something our soldiers get in exchange for putting their lives on the line. Did you do that? If so, collect away. If not, then hush up. Nice try with the strawman.

If you want to try to give me a good argument as to why you deserve to sit on your butt and collect, given that you previously stated it wouldn't be worth it to you to get a minimum wage job, ignoring the fact that I told you it's the same amount of money except you have to get off the couch...be my guest. Just don't get mad when I point out all the ways in which you're wrong. Emotional pleas do not get very far with me as you have nobody but yourself to blame, I do not feel sorry for you or any other person who can't get a job for 2+ years. I hope you don't have kids, as you are saddling the burden of our growing national debt on them and everyone else's kids. I hope you can sleep well at night knowing this.

If you know you're a hard worker, then you would not excuse your current behavior by stating that you paid into UE, you won't settle for $15k/year , that you're working on your art or you're trying to start your own business. You are a welfare recipient who doesn't feel like working. It's quite simple. Sorry if the facts are tough to face.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:13 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I beg to differ. You stated you would not leave your cushy UE benefits to get a minimum wage job. What you are not understanding is that you would make the same amount of money on UE as you would working. Thus, you are happy to sit on your rear and collect a check instead. Also, unless you live in PA, NJ or one other state that I forgot, YOU have not paid into UE, although since after 26 weeks the money comes from federal taxes, I suppose you could say that, but it's not like it's a trust fund set aside for you that you can draw from at any time. Those taxes go to fund the running of our country, not for your personal lazy spell.

I find it HILARIOUS that everyone who disagrees with me on these threads says I'm hateful. I have not a hateful bone in my body. I just seriously dislike my tax money going to people who want to sit on their butts with their hands out, people such as yourself. Realize, I am basing this on what YOU yourself said. Again, it's time to call a spade a spade.

And YET AGAIN I WILL REPEAT MYSELF: I never said ALL people on UE or welfare are lazy, slobs, bums, druggies, etc. I believe MANY are, but I do not paint with as broad a brush as you excuse-makers love to use.

I will repeat myself again and say I'm not afraid that it will happen to me, I know for a fact it will not happen to me. I'm a business owner, I can't get laid off if I tried. My job is secure, either way. My fear is that this wonderful country is going to screw its citizens by allowing all sorts of handouts. Do you have a clue as to how much it costs to keep UE going for years on end?

The GI bill is something our soldiers get in exchange for putting their lives on the line. Did you do that? If so, collect away. If not, then hush up. Nice try with the strawman.

If you want to try to give me a good argument as to why you deserve to sit on your butt and collect, given that you previously stated it wouldn't be worth it to you to get a minimum wage job, ignoring the fact that I told you it's the same amount of money except you have to get off the couch...be my guest. Just don't get mad when I point out all the ways in which you're wrong. Emotional pleas do not get very far with me as you have nobody but yourself to blame, I do not feel sorry for you or any other person who can't get a job for 2+ years. I hope you don't have kids, as you are saddling the burden of our growing national debt on them and everyone else's kids. I hope you can sleep well at night knowing this.

If you know you're a hard worker, then you would not excuse your current behavior by stating that you paid into UE, you won't settle for $15k/year , that you're working on your art or you're trying to start your own business. You are a welfare recipient who doesn't feel like working. It's quite simple. Sorry if the facts are tough to face.
i can just feel your vitriol. i suppose its better than shooting your neighbors.

if other people are accusing you of hate, maybe it IS time to call a spade a spade.

again, whatever makes you feel better, warms up that cold little heart of yours. when money is being wasted fighting fake wars and propping up corporate interests who send jobs overseas, i do NOT feel bad taking unemployment. again, i felt alot of pride and didn't want to take it for 8 months. i spend my savings FIRST. i used it as a last resort. hardly someone waiting for a handout. and starting a small business while looking for a job- trying to captain my own ship- is not someone who is sucking on the teat. getting 1400 a month while my rent is 750 a month is hardly living high on the hog. i doubt very seriously that most people could do it.

arguments are alot more convincing when they don't come drenched with vitriol. i have no need to defend my actions to you, who probably would call the cops on a homeless person because they were going through your trash. seriously, again, if it makes you feel better, look downwards on all of us worthless teat-sucking trash and keep yourself warm with the assurance that THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO YOU.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
+1

Many people in these long term unemployed predicaments would rather complain than take real action to look for work in an area with low unemployment. It's also easier to complain and live off the government than to suck it up and take a lower paying job until things improve.

In the old days, people moved for work all the time and it was more difficult to travel than it is now. There was no technology to search jobs in other cities, or to find a room on Craigslist. They sold their stuff or left it behind, and once in the new city they rented a room, slept on family/friends' couches until they earned their few few checks in the new job and found a place.

I don't see how the folks in high cost of living, high unemployment, high saturated areas don't see how easy the solutions can be, especially when they're receiving an unemployment check, which could fund a low budget move to Texas or another low unemployment state.
Hey, if I had the cash to get to another state, I would move TOMORROW. My unemployment check can't easily finance a move because it is a measely $265 a week. If I were making like $400 a week, I would have had my bags packed a long, long time ago and stayed in one of those extended stays until I found a job.

For people on unemployment from AZ, FL, TN, GA, MS moving isn't so easy because your check is so small you can't pay the bills. The states I mentioned pay less than $275 a week in unemployment.

I am trying to find work from out of state right now. If I find a job, I may just put the move on a credit card or something.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 PM

23 posts, read 29,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
If you're a "99'er", you are NOT an "unemployed person". You are, at that point, officially a welfare queen. This needs to stop being sugar coated or phrased in such a way that it makes these people feel better about asking for their handouts. If they're going to essentially live on welfare, they should have the stigma of the label attached with it. Sorry but I'm tired of someone calling themselves "long term unemployed" when they haven't been able to get one employer to give them a job in 2 years.

99er Alexandra Jarrin tells her story to CNN and sends letters to Sen. Sanders - Rochester Unemployment | Examiner.com
I know there are some people taking advantage of the system, but the majority are feeling the effects of the worst economy since the depression.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i can just feel your vitriol. i suppose its better than shooting your neighbors.

if other people are accusing you of hate, maybe it IS time to call a spade a spade.

again, whatever makes you feel better, warms up that cold little heart of yours. when money is being wasted fighting fake wars and propping up corporate interests who send jobs overseas, i do NOT feel bad taking unemployment. again, i felt alot of pride and didn't want to take it for 8 months. i spend my savings FIRST. i used it as a last resort. hardly someone waiting for a handout. and starting a small business while looking for a job- trying to captain my own ship- is not someone who is sucking on the teat. getting 1400 a month while my rent is 750 a month is hardly living high on the hog. i doubt very seriously that most people could do it.

arguments are alot more convincing when they don't come drenched with vitriol. i have no need to defend my actions to you, who probably would call the cops on a homeless person because they were going through your trash. seriously, again, if it makes you feel better, look downwards on all of us worthless teat-sucking trash and keep yourself warm with the assurance that THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO YOU.
You apparently read nothing I said since you are still asserting the same things with your personal attacks.

And as I've said for probably the 10th time, this thread is not about the wars or corporate handouts, it's about unemployment being welfare. If you want to know my opinion on the other items, start a thread or find the one I tried to start that no one would comment on. Then you will realize that I agree with you on those other two topics and you wouldn't have to feel such hatred for me anymore...but you won't do it since it's easier to hate me and spew personal attacks without any knowledge of my opinions on other topics.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Hey, if I had the cash to get to another state, I would move TOMORROW. My unemployment check can't easily finance a move because it is a measely $265 a week. If I were making like $400 a week, I would have had my bags packed a long, long time ago and stayed in one of those extended stays until I found a job.

For people on unemployment from AZ, FL, TN, GA, MS moving isn't so easy because your check is so small you can't pay the bills. The states I mentioned pay less than $275 a week in unemployment.

I am trying to find work from out of state right now. If I find a job, I may just put the move on a credit card or something.
It doesn't have to be another state even. You can go a couple hours away, or even an hour away, and be in a totally different environment that is more conducive to getting a job and paying your bills rather than staying stuck on UE in the same place, twiddling your thumbs and saying "I've applied everywhere and I still can't find a job!"

P.S. Good luck on your job search, I hope it pans out for you. If you have to put it on a credit card, at least it's better than sitting around where you're at now.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:03 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Exactly! This is what I did. I took a job that I was overqualified for and worked there until something better came along. The prospect of being unemployed scared me enough to take what was available. If I were to become unemployed I would not hesitate to do the same thing.
What kind of job did you end up with? I have applied for jobs that I am way overqualified for because I want off UE so bad. I haven't had much luck. Most of the response I keep getting is like, "If you have a bachelor's degree, why are you applying for this job?" It isn't easy to remove the degree from my resume because I have been a teacher for the past five years. Although, I know a couple people with degrees who managed to get waitressing type jobs to get off UE, so I will just have to keep trying everything until something works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies