Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 07:12 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,174,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Probably! I bet they talk about their spouses and children back home, and the single guys probably talk about their latest sexual escapades. I hear it even among civilian men, and we all know male soldiers have a certain amount of "bravado" about them. But heaven forbid a gay soldier mentions it's their partner's birthday, and they're planning to send a card... somehow that's being "too personal" and explicit, while the straight soldiers can talk about banging a Vietnamese hooker and it's no big deal.
And this changes that how? The straight solder is still going to talk about what shouldn't be talked about, and as soon as the gay solder mentions his partner's birthday, he's still going to be for the most part either ignored or cut apart from the group. Just as he or she doesn't want to hear about their escapades, they are not going to be interested in his or hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 07:36 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,120,946 times
What simply amazes me is that when people like John McCain.....and some posters on this forum ..... talk about "supporting the soldiers and what the soldiers want" and worrying about how the repeal of DADT will effect "our brave men and women serving in harms way" they seem NOT to understand that MANY OF THOSE SOLDIERS AND MANY OF THOSE BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN ARE GAY OR LESBIAN. They talk as if all "real soldiers" are straight and G&L soldiers are the enemy seeking to invade. Good grief. How delusional.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,176,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
What simply amazes me is that when people like John McCain.....and some posters on this forum ..... talk about "supporting the soldiers and what the soldiers want" and worrying about how the repeal of DADT will effect "our brave men and women serving in harms way" they seem NOT to understand that MANY OF THOSE SOLDIERS AND MANY OF THOSE BRAVE MEN AND WOMEN ARE GAY OR LESBIAN. They talk as if all "real soldiers" are straight and G&L soldiers are the enemy seeking to invade. Good grief. How delusional.
Good post and true.

Read in the paper yesterday....Between 2002 and 2008, 66,342 female veterans report sexual assault BY their STRAIGHT "band of brothers".

And gays in the military is an issue????

Can we ban rapists??? or do repugs support them???

Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 AM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Good point... just another example of subtle discrimination, and it IS really sad.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:53 AM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
And this changes that how? The straight solder is still going to talk about what shouldn't be talked about, and as soon as the gay solder mentions his partner's birthday, he's still going to be for the most part either ignored or cut apart from the group. Just as he or she doesn't want to hear about their escapades, they are not going to be interested in his or hers.
What changes? Ummmm, now they (gay/lesbian soldiers) can talk about their significant others & so forth without fear of being discharged. How the other soldiers react is up to them, but I honestly don't think you give them enough credit... not all straight soldiers are bigoted, just as not all gay soldiers are "anti-straight."

I'm a straight woman with gay & lesbian friends, and we've traded MANY stories of our escapades/romances over the years - some of which were TMI, and others I found rather intriguing. What makes you think the other soldiers will ostracize anyone who's openly gay?

Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,402,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Yes, he can share his news. However, he still needs to be respectful of other people's views. If someone is offended then he will have to tone it down. How much does he really want to tell?
Great! So if I'm offended by your views, no doubt you will be respectful and tone it down?

How much do you really need to bash gay people?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:24 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,414,616 times
Quote:
...If someone is offended then he will have to tone it down...
Care to elaborate on this assertion? Why will he have to "tone it down" and what is the "it" he has to supress?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:51 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,590,618 times
Quote:
The repubs give money back to working americans via tax breaks. The dems give it to illegals, gays, crackheads, & lazy bums.
Actually repugs could care less about working Americans, they only favor the elite. If you are not white, straight, religious, and rich, repugs could care less about you. That is why they are against equal rights for gays and the hate the poor.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,174,744 times
Default well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What changes? Ummmm, now they (gay/lesbian soldiers) can talk about their significant others & so forth without fear of being discharged. How the other soldiers react is up to them, but I honestly don't think you give them enough credit... not all straight soldiers are bigoted, just as not all gay soldiers are "anti-straight."

I'm a straight woman with gay & lesbian friends, and we've traded MANY stories of our escapades/romances over the years - some of which were TMI, and others I found rather intriguing. What makes you think the other soldiers will ostracize anyone who's openly gay?
Time will tell. I am just not as optimistic. I spent time in both army rotc, and in u.s. submarine forces. While I would like to see it all go smoothly, the pessimist in me says things are going to get much uglier before they get better.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,990,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Some white soldiers had problems with serving with blacks during wartime. Should we have let the bigots get what they wanted and banned blacks from serving alongside whites in the Military??

And this isn't about broadcasting it, its about now getting kicked out if its found out you are gay.

Weak comparison, only Michael Jackson could change his blackness. Most of the time black is black. God made them that way.
Deciding to have sex with the same sex is a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies