Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Because when a party is made up of special interest groups,those in power will decide which group will be essentially abandoned to concentrate on the more important group.

In the Repub camp,gun owners,abortion opponents are given some lip service but basically ignored,the reason being that who else will they vote for?

Same applies to the Dems, they know certain groups have little choice(or think there is little choice) and so while giving lip service to those groups,ignore them in reality.
Nonsense. I can just as easily vote for a Republican as i can a Democrat. If black folks switched party loyalties before, they can do it again just as easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nonsense. I can just as easily vote for a Republican as i can a Democrat. If black folks switched party loyalties before, they can do it again just as easily.
Not if it is seen the other party isn't offering anything(nevermind the fact their current party isn't either...)

But when you have a two party system you don't have much choice,especially when BOTH parties don't actually care for anything more than your vote on election day.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
OP:

The key word in your post is "history."

Obviously, times have changed.

I guess you didn't get the memo.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Not if it is seen the other party isn't offering anything(nevermind the fact their current party isn't either...)

But when you have a two party system you don't have much choice,especially when BOTH parties don't actually care for anything more than your vote on election day.
Fine..so now you're admitting that the Republican Party doesn't offer anything more than the Democrats do. So why bother applying "critical thinking."

In your last post, you said "special interest groups" make up the Democratic Party...in a roundabout way at least. Black people aren't a special interest group no more than white people are. We tend to vote the same way...yes. But it's not as if we hold meetings to determine who we're all gonna vote for. It's not that clandestine, despite what you might think.

If a majority of black folks vote for Dems...there must be a good reason. Speaking for myself, i have a good reason. But if that reason ceases to exist, i can opt for the other party, or just not vote. My options are no more limited than anyone elses. Again, black folkse en masse changed parties before, and we can do it again very easily.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fine..so now you're admitting that the Republican Party doesn't offer anything more than the Democrats do. So why bother applying "critical thinking."
Neither party does,both offer lip service and the bare minimum needed to keep their followers if not happy at least not looking elsewhere...

Quote:
In your last post, you said "special interest groups" make up the Democratic Party...in a roundabout way at least. Black people aren't a special interest group no more than white people are. We tend to vote the same way...yes. But it's not as if we hold meetings to determine who we're all gonna vote for. It's not that clandestine, despite what you might think.
If black people weren't a special interest group,then why would they vote the same way,as you stated?

Quote:
If a majority of black folks vote for Dems...there must be a good reason. Speaking for myself, i have a good reason. But if that reason ceases to exist, i can opt for the other party, or just not vote. My options are no more limited than anyone elses.
What is your good reason?
Your options are incredibly limited actually,as most people CANNOT bring themselves to vote for a party that does not have a chance of winning.

Hence why the two party system is so strong in this nation.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Obama made a promise to the Black community during his campaign:
Has Obama kept his promises to Blacks?

Obama made a promise to the Hispanic community during his campaign:
Latino Leaders Impatient With Obama After Promises on Immigration

So yes..Blacks and Hispanics make up major voting blocs in America and the Dems want them on their side.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Democrats, while giving the appearance of being a minority's best friend, are really their worst enemy. They constantly send a message of "you can't make it on your own, let the government help you," from cradle to the grave. They talk a big game of "empowering" people but all they really do is create a culture of dependency. Now that liberals have created this dependency they can constantly promise the world to minorities, not deliver on any of it, and still count on their votes year after year.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:40 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Apparently, you forgot about the page in the history book where a crap-ton of racist Democrats left the Democratic party because it stopped being in favour of Jim Crow. also the page in the history book where Republican president Nixon decided that it was good for the future of his party to assimilate these voters by all means necessary.
And that was the end of "Yellow Dog Democrats". People who registered and voted Democrat for generations because Abraham Lincoln was a member of the Republican Party.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:45 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,871 times
Look at the difference between the Republican party of 2010, and the Republican party of Regan in 1988. Notice any difference?

And that was only 22 years.

Now imagine the difference between the Democrat party that opposed the 13th amendment of 1865 and the democrat party of 2010.

You have to be kidding me? You cannot judge any political party based on it's stances from 145 years ago. Or from 50 years ago. Or really from 8 years ago.

What, can I hold the current Catholic church responsible for the crusades?

If you don't want to be a Democrat, don't be. But don't pretend that a BlueRay DVD is the same as a Betamax tape.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe it was Dem guilt that made them do a complete 360.
Now they've gone to the other extreme and can't give enough welfare benefits to them.
... you do realize that there are more white people on welfare then black people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies