Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:18 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times

Advertisements

Funny how things change, I remember when wealthy Republicans were abolitionist commanders in the Union Army advocating the arming of blacks to fight against the expansion of Big Business...C'est La Vie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 10:27 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,326,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This is actually funny. LMAO!
While I'm clearly attempting humor here, what else is slavery but the arrogation, by force, of the fruits of the labor of others? Add to that the limits on personal freedoms like gun ownership/use, public expression of religious belief, how much salt or trans-fats we may have in our foodstuffs, and so on and one starts to get the picture.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:00 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,041,292 times
I always find these post fruitless. The truth of the matter is the Republican party at this time in history does not need the black vote to win elections. They have done fine without it for the last 40 years and they see no reason to change. They neither seek it or ask for it. It's not good for the party and it is not good for blacks but it is what it is. I have white friends who have ask this same question and I tell them to look at the Republican convention and ask them why there are so very few minorities in attendance. People vote for which group serves there needs the best. I personally can't see how any Republican and say the party has any agenda for black America. Blacks have taken the good and the bad from the Democratic party but there is something to hang your hat own. Only when the Republican party needs the black vote will the ask for it. I don't see it happening anytime soon. They will go after the hispanic vote first because they can't afford for them to go all Democrat like the blacks have.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 PM

161 posts, read 141,633 times
It's easy really. Politics shift all the time. I bet if newly freed slaves were able to vote, they probably would have voted Republican over Democrat. Don't get in the habit of labeling yourself one or the other because you feel that is what you're suppose to be. It's just a political label, and the Republican party platform is about to shift again with the Teabaggers taking over.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:53 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Did democrats support slavery?

Yes, very actively before and during the Civil War. After the war of course there was no slavery to support, but the Dixiecrats were solidly against equal rights for former slaves.

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" ONLY, per the Terms of Service.
Well, you are citing a lot of antient stuff that doesn't apply anymore. When it comes to economics, minorities are still pretty much at the bottom. So to put it simply, minorities vote Democrat for the same reasons that rich folks generally vote Republican.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,823 times
I need someone on here to tell me why I, a late 20's black man, should vote republican. Without being snarky or condescending. What do they have to offer my demographic?

Old 12-24-2010, 03:27 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I usually just post in the Austin Forum, and now I can see why. The Austin moderator is quick to put a stop to BS like this.

I am not easily shocked, but the racism, homophobia, and crazy evangelical rantings on this board are just over the top. I really need to just stop responding to certain posters.

At what point did it become okay to say "Black people are on welfare" and "Black people can't think critically" and "black people aren't individuals, they move as a collective".

I don't beat the drum of political correctness. But just plain old factual correctness would be nice.
I feel exactly the same way, seems that some of the same posters get away with much more than others on this particular forum. Maybe time to take another break.....

Old 12-24-2010, 05:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Not only were Democrats essential in getting civil rights legislation passed, the man who had the option to sign or veto it (he signed) was a Democrat also.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:32 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,041,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I need someone on here to tell me why I, a late 20's black man, should vote republican. Without being snarky or condescending. What do they have to offer my demographic?

You will never get a honest answer to this question. They will only tell you how the Democrats have ruined the black family.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:49 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Did democrats support slavery?

Yes, very actively before and during the Civil War. After the war of course there was no slavery to support, but the Dixiecrats were solidly against equal rights for former slaves.

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please post a link and a "snippet" ONLY, per the Terms of Service.
The Dem party of today hardly resembles the party of yesterday. Same for the GOP.

Not a tough concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies