Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 11:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh no.. you dont sell your home when you become president.. you gain a 2nd one. You should be embarassed for not knowing this.

Which is why I havent criticized Obamas "vacations".. Presidents are entitled to their vacations just like everyone else, but to pretend Obamas vacations which costs millions and Bushs ones which "returned home".. are equal are rather silly..
I'm not embarrassed. Bush's home for those eight years was Washington, DC. Some presidents (Clinton comes to mind) never owned a home before becoming president. The persident's home is DC while they s/he is pres.

Bush "returned home" with a huge entourage of secret service protection, communications equipment (I mean, don't we all have the nuclear button in our kitchens?), staff that had to be put up somewhere, and you can bet it wasn't all in the ranch home for free; had to be fed, and again, it wasn't Georgie Porgy footing the bill for that, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 11:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Wiggle, squirm, squiggle

pghquest:""""Bush has lived in Texas his whole life.."""""
Quote:
Fact: Georgie Bush was intellectually UN-curious. He had never traveled much outside the US mainland...didn't even make it to Vietnam.......he mostly hid out in Texas which is NOT his home.
WRONG.. I moved to a town called Penn Hills when I was 2 and remained there till I was 24.. Yes, I consider Penn Hills my HOME.

He did live in Texas his whole life, unless you can recall things that took place while you were a toddler..

Old 01-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm not embarrassed. Bush's home for those eight years was Washington, DC. Some presidents (Clinton comes to mind) never owned a home before becoming president. The persident's home is DC while they s/he is pres.
Ahh no.. The presidential home is a curtesy home for their use while they are president. His home was STILL Texas, even if he resided in DC..
Quote:
Bush "returned home" with a huge entourage of secret service protection, communications equipment (I mean, don't we all have the nuclear button in our kitchens?), staff that had to be put up somewhere, and you can bet it wasn't all in the ranch home for free; had to be fed, and again, it wasn't Georgie Porgy footing the bill for that, etc.
The security measures for Bush's home, when he returned home were not much different than security measures while Bush was in DC.. Unless you somehow think no one watched the Bush's home while he was away for security reasons..

I'm would assume Obama also has Secret Service personnel outside his Chicago home while he is away.. Do you really think otherwise?

Old 01-01-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Ahh no.. The presidential home is a curtesy home for their use while they are president. His home was STILL Texas, even if he resided in DC..

The security measures for Bush returning home were not much different than security measures while Bush was in DC.. Unless you somehow think no one watched the Bush's home while he was away for security reasons..

I'm would assume Obama also has Secret Service personnel outside his Chicago home while he is away.. Do you really think otherwise?
A "curtesy" home? What's that? You can quibble all you want about what the president's home is when s/he is in office, but the point of fact is the president works and lives in DC while president. Going anywhere else is going "on vacation".

If that is the case, and it probably is, the security for Obama in HI is not much different than it is for him in DC.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
A "curtesy" home? What's that? You can quibble all you want about what the president's home is when s/he is in office, but the point of fact is the president works and lives in DC while president. Going anywhere else is going "on vacation".
There are numerous laws which allow for the president to set White House staff, but there is nothing that requires the president to move to DC or use the White House. Their legal home can stay where they were prior to being president..
Quote:
If that is the case, and it probably is, the security for Obama in HI is not much different than it is for him in DC.
The differences would be huge.. (and again, I'm not criticizing his vacation, just making factual statements).. While he is away from DC, they now need to maintain additional security.. One for DC, one for Chicago, one for Camp David, and now an additional one for Hawaii.. and since Hawaii is the unknown, they have to travel in advance, and maintain extra security and extend the parimeter because its not routine.

It would be a lot cheaper to return home because the amount of pre-visit security needs would be cut down because the homes and neighborhood regions have already been secured and planned in advance.

Last edited by pghquest; 01-01-2011 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Katina, Obama never changed his residency to DC..
Obama's Illinois Ballot: President Votes For Pat Quinn, Alexi Giannoulias

President Barack Obama has filled out an absentee ballot to vote in his home state of Illinois.

His residency is STILL Chicago Illinois..

Old 01-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:

President Barack Obama has filled out an absentee ballot to vote in his home state of Illinois.

So frickin' what? He works in DC. He sleeps there, is sending his kids to school there. He is a resident of DC. He may not be a "citizen" of DC, but again, so what? Many people live in places other than their official residence, sometimes for years. The laws of most states offer a lot of leeway. Bottom line is that's where his job is.

Quote:
There are numerous laws which allow for the president to set White House staff, but there is nothing that requires the president to move to DC or use the White House. Their legal home can stay where they were prior to being president..

So what? Do you know of any president who didn't move to DC since it was made the US Capital and the WH built?

The differences would be huge.. (and again, I'm not criticizing his vacation, just making factual statements).. While he is away from DC, they now need to maintain additional security.. One for DC, one for Chicago, one for Camp David, and now an additional one for Hawaii.. and since Hawaii is the unknown, they have to travel in advance, and maintain extra security and extend the parimeter because its not routine.

It would be a lot cheaper to return home because the amount of pre-visit security needs would be cut down because the homes and neighborhood regions have already been secured and planned in advance.
You are criticizing Obama while you say you aren't, just to make it OK that Bush took extensive trips, vacations, whatever you want to call them, to Texas.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:57 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Quote:
George Walker Bush was born in New Haven, Connecticut
Someone just got PWNed. --70Ford

Old 01-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
So frickin' what? He works in DC. He sleeps there, is sending his kids to school there. He is a resident of DC. He may not be a "citizen" of DC, but again, so what? Many people live in places other than their official residence, sometimes for years. The laws of most states offer a lot of leeway. Bottom line is that's where his job is.
So fricken what? I never said there was anything wrong with it I was disputing the fact that you said he LIVED in DC.. He is NOT a resident of DC.. He is a resident of Illinois.. Thats how he votes in Illinois..

I live in Ohio, my residency is out of PA though.. You are the one who clearly said that the White House is the presidents HOME.. it is NOT.. its more like a hotel stay while they are in DC.. Again I'm not criticizing so I'm not sure why you keep asking "so what".. I said it was FACTUAL that Obama lives in Chicago.. PERIOD.. Has he even returned to his home?
Quote:
You are criticizing Obama while you say you aren't, just to make it OK that Bush took extensive trips, vacations, whatever you want to call them, to Texas.
I'm not criticizing Obama.. I said it COSTS MORE to travel to Hawaii and not return home, and comparing his vacations to the Bush vacations which involved GOING HOME, not a fair comparison. The security costs of going home, where its already safe and being watched, thereby not needing a full force sent prior to secure the area is cheaper.. PERIOD..

You are so set on arguing with anyone who mentions Obama that you cant even admit the costs are higher then clearly they would have to be.. Hell I didnt even criticize him and you are on defense mode.. thats pretty sad...

Old 01-01-2011, 01:59 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,276,435 times
Quote:

Absolutely correct. Thanks for posting it for these naysayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies