Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 06:46 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
If it was a Republican President, you wouldn't have herd a peep of righteous indignation from the righties.

You betcha.....Steve
But, didn't we hear all kinds of righteous indignation from the Left when Bush took "vacations", MAINLY at his ranch....or his Xmas "vacations" at Camp David?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 06:49 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,097,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
All presidents take vacations. All presidents need special accommodations for security and what have you. I can't/won't fault any president for that, even W (even though W took entirely too many of them).

A million dollars for one week seems excessive, however.
One trip to Crawford, Texas cost the tax-payers just under $20M. Bush took over 240 trips from Camp David to Crawford to Kennebunkport. Excessive?! I think so.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:51 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,276,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Would you like to reevaluate that position?
Nope. I stand by it.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless unemployment View Post
BY MALIA ZIMMERMAN
Nestled in three luxury beachfront homes just outside a local favorite surf spot on the pristine turquoise waters of Kailua Bay,President Barack Obama and his family and friends are enjoying a seemingly quiet Christmas vacation,,,,

See More.... Obama’s Million Dollar Hawaiian Vacation: Costs to Taxpayers Detailed | Hawaii Reporter

What a crock. I belive Ms. Zimmerman's figures are not only inflated and completely fabricated, but purely for hyperbolic rhetoric spin.

The per hour cost for example of the C-40B is $7,500/hr. Not the $180,000/hr she insinuates from a "Dossier". I mean seriously, a dossier?! Why not just ask the Air Force or google it...like this:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...f&AD=ADA431492

Quote:
The Air Force designation will be C-40B. The approximate
procurement cost will be $75 million per aircraft, with an estimated hourly flying cost of $7,500. (Irwin, 2001) The C-40B will be able to carry 26 passengers with 11 crew members and fly more than 5,000 miles. Like the C-32A, the cruising speed of the C-40B will be 530mph. (Perry, 2002)
Now I know in this document is an estimated $7,500...but attempting to say it will go from $7,500 to $180,000 is just freakin' moronic. It's like something Palin would say.

I call a major league B.S. stinker on Ms. Zimmerman, and call into question the rest of her "facts".

Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Nope. I stand by it.
I certainly knew you would. And here ended the lesson.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:44 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
I certainly knew you would. And here ended the lesson.
Yup!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:22 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,351,853 times
Quote:
Blah blah blah... Bush was considerate of the SS and spent Christmas at Camp David... blah blah blah
While the Bush family tradition was to spend a quiet Christmas Day at Camp David, it was often their tradition to leave the following day for an expensive resort island in Florida, where they rent numerous rooms, cottages and private homes with family, friends, and yes -Secret Service and essential staff. They've been going on the lavish family trips ever since 41 was in office.

Just google "Bush family and Boca Grande" for years of articles about the Bush Christmas vacations. In fact, they're there right now playing golf in the chilly weather and they've got John Boehner with them.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:24 PM

565 posts, read 486,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
He's the POTUS, he's entitled to take a vacation. If you don't like it, too bad.
Simplistic at best.

That he chose to play golf in Hawaii for Christmas and this in a time of war and economic distress does not affect me personally.

Had I lost a son in Afghanistan, maybe I would see things differently.

If you don't understand what I mean is of no importance.

Please, don't come up with George Bush, Obama was supposed to be different.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Simplistic at best.

That he chose to play golf in Hawaii for Christmas and this in a time of war and economic distress does not affect me personally.

Had I lost a son in Afghanistan, maybe I would see things differently.

If you don't understand what I mean is of no importance.

Please, don't come up with George Bush, Obama was supposed to be different.
Yeah, when George did it, I didn't hear any of you complain.
You son would have VOLUNTEERED to go to war, no sorrow for him or you.
Choices, you know, choices.

1/3 of his presidency on holiday after getting us into 2 wars - you're right, there is no comparison.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
One trip to Crawford, Texas cost the tax-payers just under $20M. Bush took over 240 trips from Camp David to Crawford to Kennebunkport. Excessive?! I think so.
Can you provide a link for the $20 million single trip by the Bushes in Crawford? At least the OP had an interesting link about the Obama trip to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies