Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,719,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So it should be easy for you to quote for us some science that backs up your claim that MOST people are unstable & prone to violence. Please go ahead.

Take a class. Get educated.

It's not my job to teach you.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Take a class. Get educated.

It's not my job to teach you.
I took plenty of psychology classes in college. Your claims are distorted and off base. You've failed to provide a single link to prove otherwise.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,177,107 times
Default Actually

Quote:
I think that if you simply look at human nature, you'd discover that most people are violent.

Take any basic psychology course, and you can get that item of knowledge.
I took Psychology, and your comment is incomplete.

It's actually, "Most people have the CAPACITY for violence, but because we are capable of reasoning, do not act upon it.".

Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,232,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
It's called responsibility. There was a time when both Responsibility and Manners were the norm.

Lets be honest here. Anyone here in their 30's or older? How many of you (assuming both parents were still part of your family), talked back to your father. Probably none, zero, nada.. Why? Because he would spin your head right off your shoulders. Initially good manners towards your parents were learned out of fear, as well as responsibility and discipline. After it became a learned behavior, it became the NORM, because later on in life, you understood it was was right thing to do.

These days, it isn't the norm, because it isn't a learned behavior for many youngsters. (please note, I didn't say ALL!!!). While raising my children, when I introduced them to adults I would say "xxx this is Mr or Mrs XXX'. Once one said, go ahead and call me XXX, (Her first name). I stopped her and said, That wasn't possible, as it wasn't good manners for a 7 year old child to refer to an adult by their first name. By the same token, when my kids said Please and Thank You, a lot of people were suprised, they were not used to that.

It is things like this, the lack of discipline, the lack manners, and the lack of personal responsibility that leads to the events such as the one starting this forum.

Why are the prisons overflowing? Well, there is a place to start, to reverse the trend. When I was in grade school, and we did the wrong thing, the Principal would break out the "Board of Education". It hurt, it was feared, no one wanted to get paddled. G_d forbid that the Principal called your parents, cause they would do what he or she did, but twice as much. Manners were learned, discipline was learned, respect and responsibility was learned. It was expected and in higher amounts, each grade level you graduated to.

Not so much these days... And we wonder why many children are backtalking parents and teachers, breaking the law, have no respect, no manners, no discipline, and take no responsibility for their actions?
You got that right....

Old 01-06-2011, 03:34 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,232,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt
I took Psychology, and your comment is incomplete.

It's actually, "Most people have the CAPACITY for violence, but because we are capable of reasoning, do not act upon it."
Mankind has always been violent. When we try and hide that fact modern America is the result. Post #63 is an excellent example of this, forget the facts of history, modern progressive thinking are the new facts.

Reason vs an AK-74, reason will loose every time.

Last edited by plwhit; 01-06-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I took plenty of psychology classes in college. Your claims are distorted and off base. You've failed to provide a single link to prove otherwise.
As I said earlier, it's not my job to educate you.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,902,466 times
I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:58 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,000,905 times
Quote:
As I said earlier, it's not my job to educate you.
Given the inaccuracy of your statements I hope that it is not your career to educate anyone!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 763 times
if we all caried guns there wouldn't be any killings.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Given the inaccuracy of your statements I hope that it is not your career to educate anyone!
Given your blindness for common sense and facts, I'd say the same for you.

If people didn't act emotionally--and most do--they wouldn't be unstable. Emotions lead to instability. Instability leads to violence. Logical people are rarely violent except in cases of self-defense. Not that a weapon is necessary to defend oneself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies