Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM

565 posts, read 486,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Geez, after reading this thread I'm sure glad I don't live in the USA where there are more guns than there are people....That would make even me paranoid!..Hell, I don't even lock my doors at night, and have never had a problem...The chances of even a burglar having a gun here is remote...
150.000 people killed by guns in the last ten years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/op...ml?ref=opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
It is quite interesting,I talked to my mother tonight,mentioned the shooting and she told me how there were news stories about all the shootings and gun crime happening there.

She lives in Australia.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:02 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Yes, but these people are though.
Nobody really knows if Americans are tough enough today to dislodge a dictator who abolishes elections and makes himself president-for-life with military backing, but the one thing that's certain is that disarming certainly won't improve our chances. It'll certainly involve much more than simply owning weapons - in truth, an attempt to remove such a dictator would rely on the seizing of weapons depots and the recruitment of both active duty and retired military personnel, as well as civilians to handle logistical issues and prepare and disseminate propaganda. But the starting point, as in the Revolutionary War, would be a stash of personal weapons and ammunition. The software is important, too - we need to have a population that not only has weaponry, but is also used to handling weaponry.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
You don't need a gun to protect your house. That's what the police are for, you know?
I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
What if they can't show up fast enough and someone with a gun is trying to break in?
For ford's sake, it's stuff.
It disgusts me how people thing that their things are more important than lives.
That they'll sacrifice lives for their stuff.

This is one of the reasons why I dislike US culture so very much.

Get your priorities straight, it's STUFF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Nobody really knows if Americans are tough enough today to dislodge a dictator who abolishes elections and makes himself president-for-life with military backing, but the one thing that's certain is that disarming certainly won't improve our chances. It'll certainly involve much more than simply owning weapons - in truth, an attempt to remove such a dictator would rely on the seizing of weapons depots and the recruitment of both active duty and retired military personnel, as well as civilians to handle logistical issues and prepare and disseminate propaganda. But the starting point, as in the Revolutionary War, would be a stash of personal weapons and ammunition. The software is important, too - we need to have a population that not only has weaponry, but is also used to handling weaponry.
Like Bush said, it would be easier if he were dictator for life.

But we don't have dictator in the US.
We have duly elected officials (except when Bush was selected by the SC).

This is not the 1700s.
Your comparison is ridiculous.

I'll never touch a gun in this life.
I don't need to and I have no desire to.

Oh for ford's sake, what delusional drivel.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:05 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
For ford's sake, it's stuff.
It disgusts me how people thing that their things are more important than lives.
That they'll sacrifice lives for their stuff.

This is one of the reasons why I dislike US culture so very much.

Get your priorities straight, it's STUFF.
And if they want to rape you,it is just your body...get over it.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 PM

565 posts, read 486,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post

Wy don't we just make it so that the voting machines work well.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:

The article says "murdered" but doesn't say how they were killed. Cain killed Able with a rock. How many deaths have been caused by using cell phones while driving in the past ten years?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:

Well, actually, they were murdered by the person holding the gun pulling a trigger that fired a projectile that cause the injury leading to death. But, why let the truth get in the way.

How many deaths in motor vehicles in the past decade? How many lives ended by abortion in the past decade?

Selective outrage as to the value of life by the gun banners.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
You don't need a gun to protect your house. That's what the police are for, you know?
How do the police protect all the houses since there are many fewer than one per house available? They are going to arrive too late to protect most of us no matter what we manage to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies