Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:02 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times

Advertisements

^
Gizmo said well what I was going to. Theory in science (vast body of research supporting) means something far different than "theory" in regular parlance (vague opinion). I wasn't accusing you of being bigoted at all, just asking that you choose your words wisely because there are many bigots who who run with opinions as fact and ruin lives because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 08:13 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
[quote=andrea3821;17430045]This is a bunch of hogwash.I take it that you consider your reply something other than "hogwash".

You are not a conservative and thus cannot answer the question, first of all, since unless you can get into a conservative's mind, you are just putting words in our mouths. I cannot answer? Yet the "conservatives" here such as yoursellf constantly tell everyone what those not on the far right think and believe. So sorry but I will post whatever I wish and if you have an actual counter point you are free to express it, "hogwash" is not a counter point. Shoe is on the other foot now and you did not like someone telling the truth about your agenda, too bad.

Second, your example about Bush doesn't make sense. A state cannot legalize something the federal gov't has outlawed. The feds have every right to enforce the law that marijuana is illegal.
Excuse me but as YOU said, that first sentence was "HOGWASH". When someone attempts to amend the Constitution to lock into place who is allowed to marry that IS denying gays the right to get married. For your information Bush dropped the idea because he couldn't even get enough conservatives to agree to the amendment no less liberals, seems as if not as many conservatives agree with your thinking as you believe.
Third, it is "conception," not "inception."

Fourth, to say someone is homophobic is in and of itself homophobic, and you are projecting (like someone who sees racism everywhere is likely a racist). I know no one who is homophobic but I know plenty who are against gay marriage. The term "homophobic" is insulting and misrepresentative.Double talk at its best. I call it when I see it either homophobic or racism and if you do not believe there are homophobic or racist people out there then you need to broaden your exposure to the world or even easier just open your eyes. Your religious beliefs are yours to believe but when it comes our Constitution or the Laws of this nation they have to take a back seat and Logic has to take the lead.[/quote]
Casper

Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Theory when based on scientific/academic study and evidence (yes, evidence) is not merely an "opinion" - just as the theories of relativity & evolution aren't just opinions, although some may argue with the latter.
It may me an opinion based on observation but it isn't really proof and thats all I'm saying there is no test at birth that can determine if someone is Homosexual, no blood test nor brainscan that determines anything for certian.
This is not meant to be an insult it's just the way it is.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
^
Gizmo said well what I was going to. Theory in science (vast body of research supporting) means something far different than "theory" in regular parlance (vague opinion). I wasn't accusing you of being bigoted at all, just asking that you choose your words wisely because there are many bigots who who run with opinions as fact and ruin lives because of it.
Why does my statement bother you so much? there was no insults or argument against Homosexuals in it.
It's just that there is no proof of anything, nobody can take a blood test or anything else like that to determine if someone is Homosexual, theory is still just an opinion, there is no black and white proof.
Why if thats my opinion does that make me a Bigot and why do you feel the need to insult others over their opinion when no insult was issued by me.
you are free to have your opinion.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So you'd rather consider the viewpoints of ancient goat herders and a giant world-wide organization dedicated to behavior control than the viewpoints of actual individuals affected by the legislation?

That doesn't make sense to me, but to each their own (or not)
Huh? You're right, it doesn't make sense. Read the Bible and then get back to me once you have corrected your false statements here. Oh, and while you're at it, go talk to a priest, he can tell you what Christianity is all about, since you obviously have no clue.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The scientific community has proven that homosexuality is not a disease. It's not theory. You're messing with people's lives, encouraging murders and beatings, and teenage suicides by spreading anything but the truth that they have made collective statements based on science asserting that homosexuality is not a disease that can be cured. Please don't encourage such bigotry. Thank you.
Actually it has not been proven. Homosexuality was removed started in the third edition of the DSM, which is published by a group of psychiatrists. Hopefully you understand that there is nothing to "prove" in the realm of the mind, it will always be conjecture. Mind you, there is significant speculation that it was only removed b/c of political pressure.

Please don't encourage such false knowledge. Thank you.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 AM

[quote=Casper in Dallas;17435233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This is a bunch of hogwash.I take it that you consider your reply something other than "hogwash".

You are not a conservative and thus cannot answer the question, first of all, since unless you can get into a conservative's mind, you are just putting words in our mouths. I cannot answer? Yet the "conservatives" here such as yoursellf constantly tell everyone what those not on the far right think and believe. So sorry but I will post whatever I wish and if you have an actual counter point you are free to express it, "hogwash" is not a counter point. Shoe is on the other foot now and you did not like someone telling the truth about your agenda, too bad.

Second, your example about Bush doesn't make sense. A state cannot legalize something the federal gov't has outlawed. The feds have every right to enforce the law that marijuana is illegal.
Excuse me but as YOU said, that first sentence was "HOGWASH". When someone attempts to amend the Constitution to lock into place who is allowed to marry that IS denying gays the right to get married. For your information Bush dropped the idea because he couldn't even get enough conservatives to agree to the amendment no less liberals, seems as if not as many conservatives agree with your thinking as you believe.
Third, it is "conception," not "inception."

Fourth, to say someone is homophobic is in and of itself homophobic, and you are projecting (like someone who sees racism everywhere is likely a racist). I know no one who is homophobic but I know plenty who are against gay marriage. The term "homophobic" is insulting and misrepresentative.Double talk at its best. I call it when I see it either homophobic or racism and if you do not believe there are homophobic or racist people out there then you need to broaden your exposure to the world or even easie and have no clue,r just open your eyes. Your religious beliefs are yours to believe but when it comes our Constitution or the Laws of this nation they have to take a back seat and Logic has to take the lead.[/quote]
Casper

Wow, I have no response to any of this. You have a lot of crazy ideas about what conservatives are and what we believe. You are full of conspiracy theories and it's not even worth my time to try to tell you why and how you're flat out wrong.

And do not ever say you are telling the truth about "my" agenda. You are so full of it. You have no clue what the facts are and would rather talk out your rear and put words in people's mouths. I just sat here and explained fully what my beliefs are, you are free to disagree, but don't you DARE call me a liar.

I have nothing else to say to you on this topic or any other, as I do not take kindly to those who want to make up lies about me. Goodbye.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
[quote=andrea3821;17436035]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post

Wow, I have no response to any of this. You have a lot of crazy ideas about what conservatives are and what we believe. You are full of conspiracy theories and it's not even worth my time to try to tell you why and how you're flat out wrong.

And do not ever say you are telling the truth about "my" agenda. You are so full of it. You have no clue what the facts are and would rather talk out your rear and put words in people's mouths. I just sat here and explained fully what my beliefs are, you are free to disagree, but don't you DARE call me a liar.

I have nothing else to say to you on this topic or any other, as I do not take kindly to those who want to make up lies about me. Goodbye.
I call them as I see them, maybe you shouldn't have responded in the first place and yes I read all your other beliefs you posted on this thead, again the word HOGWASH comes to mind. You are correct about one thing, you have nothing else to say to me.
Goodbye
Casper

Old 01-16-2011, 11:24 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Why does my statement bother you so much? there was no insults or argument against Homosexuals in it.
It's just that there is no proof of anything, nobody can take a blood test or anything else like that to determine if someone is Homosexual, theory is still just an opinion, there is no black and white proof.
You weren't talking about somebody being homosexual, you were referring to it being a mental disorder... and they do actually have tests to determine mental conditions, like CT-scans and brain wave thingy-bobs (I don't know the scientific name, LOL). Gender identity disorder is still considered a mental illness of sorts, but homosexuality alone is not - and not all gay people suffer from GID.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You weren't talking about somebody being homosexual, you were referring to it being a mental disorder... and they do actually have tests to determine mental conditions, like CT-scans and brain wave thingy-bobs (I don't know the scientific name, LOL). Gender identity disorder is still considered a mental illness of sorts, but homosexuality alone is not - and not all gay people suffer from GID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly
Proof? The scientific community strongly disagrees with you. Quote

My Reply
"Yes but in the end it's only an theory which comes down to an opinion."

Ok where in that one short statement did I say anything what so ever about homosexuals? I made a short statement about scientific theory not being proof but only being opinion.
I didn't refer to anything other than what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies