Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Actually it has not been proven. Homosexuality was removed started in the third edition of the DSM, which is published by a group of psychiatrists. Hopefully you understand that there is nothing to "prove" in the realm of the mind, it will always be conjecture. Mind you, there is significant speculation that it was only removed b/c of political pressure.

Please don't encourage such false knowledge. Thank you.
You believe deeply in God - for which there is no proof - yet you want us to disregard all of the research on sexual orientation that's been done over the last 40 years by mental health professionals, and believe your assertion that homosexuality is a mental disorder. You've also claimed to know "what God wants".

Give us a break, lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You believe deeply in God - for which there is no proof - yet you want us to disregard all of the research on sexual orientation that's been done over the last 40 years by mental health professionals, and believe your assertion that homosexuality is a mental disorder. You've also claimed to know "what God wants".

Give us a break, lady.

Huh? What does God have to do with the DSM?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly
Proof? The scientific community strongly disagrees with you. Quote

My Reply
"Yes but in the end it's only an theory which comes down to an opinion."

Ok where in that one short statement did I say anything what so ever about homosexuals? I made a short statement about scientific theory not being proof but only being opinion.
I didn't refer to anything other than what I said.
You said "there is no blood test to determine homosexuality," did you not? I don't think I was confused, since that clearly seems like a change of topic to me! Testing somebody to see if they're homosexual isn't related to whether or not it's a mental disorder - we already know gay people are gay, LOL.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
What do you think your posts on this topic are?

Nope. We have as much of a right to speak up and disagree with you as you have to spout your ill-conceived beliefs.
If you think me disagreeing with the OP is inflammatory, then you need some thicker skin.

I think your beliefs are wrong and sinful. I have every right to say that on this thread, and every right to defend those beliefs, if I so choose. But again, I am going back and forth with YOU on this topic of gayness and I'm not going to waste my time anymore. I suggest you put me on ignore b/c I'm not going to stop giving my opinion on this subject just b/c you don't like it.

I'm still waiting on your response to what God has to do with the DSM and for you to clarify your last post to me.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:02 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You said "there is no blood test to determine homosexuality," did you not? I don't think I was confused, since that clearly seems like a change of topic to me! Testing somebody to see if they're homosexual isn't related to whether or not it's a mental disorder - we already know gay people are gay, LOL.
I never talked about a mental disorder on this thread, I debated theory against proof, Theory being as an educated opinion and proof being like a blood test or a scan that could determine the fact unlike theory which doesn't.
honestly have you even read what I have said on this thread? you are very confused as to anything I have said on this thread. go back and read what i replied to and think about it.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
If you think me disagreeing with the OP is inflammatory, then you need some thicker skin.
You just said that someone else was being inflammatory.

Quote:
I think your beliefs are wrong and sinful. I have every right to say that on this thread, and every right to defend those beliefs, if I so choose. But again, I am going back and forth with YOU on this topic of gayness and I'm not going to waste my time anymore. I suggest you put me on ignore b/c I'm not going to stop giving my opinion on this subject just b/c you don't like it.

I'm still waiting on your response to what God has to do with the DSM and for you to clarify your last post to me.
You just said that you're not going to waste your time with me, yet you want me to respond? Again, you can believe whatever you want, and the rest of us have a right to disagree with you.

I don't think "God" has anything to do with the DSM because I don't believe that "God" exists - which, in my eyes, makes comparisons between religion and homosexuality look even more ridiculous.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:27 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times
I completely understand why they are against abortion. I will never understand why they are against gay marriage.

Sorry about the major generalization...

Old 01-16-2011, 02:58 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:

Give us a break, lady.
Quote:
Huh? What does God have to do with the DSM?
I think that was his point.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
You just said that someone else was being inflammatory.

You just said that you're not going to waste your time with me, yet you want me to respond? Again, you can believe whatever you want, and the rest of us have a right to disagree with you.

I don't think "God" has anything to do with the DSM because I don't believe that "God" exists - which, in my eyes, makes comparisons between religion and homosexuality look even more ridiculous.
Yes, I said someone else was being inflammatory for posting things like links to "where to call people baby killers on CD" or something to that effect. That is inflammatory. It is, however, not inflammatory for me to give my opinion in a polite manner, as I have been, in response to the OP, even if I disagree. As I said, if you think disagreeing is inflammatory, perhaps you should stop frequenting these boards.

No, I am not going back and forth with you on the topic of being gay. But I still want an answer to my question, as that is not just me saying I don't agree with being gay and you calling me a bigot. That's how it usually goes, and at least I can recognize it for the unproductive waste of time that it is.

I never said God has anything to do with the DSM. You put the two together and I want to know what you meant, since that entire post did not make sense to me. Here's what I'm referring to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale

Give us a break, lady.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I think that was his point.
I never said God had anything to do with the DSM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies