Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:28 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,984,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

Conservatives like cops, drug laws, ..... It's liberals who don't.

So liberals hate the police and love heroin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flordelis View Post
I think he was looking for SERIOUS answers!!!
I gave one, read it again and you might find it, or maybe not, one sees what they want. Maybe then you can give a SERiOUS reply to it, I won't hold my breath waiting
Casper

Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,851,419 times
I dont agree with abortion because I think its killing a baby. However I dont vote based on this issue because I dont see it ever being over turned.

Gay marriage I think is states rights. The federal gov has no business getting into marriage.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 AM

352 posts, read 187,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I gave one, read it again and you might find it, or maybe not, one sees what they want. Maybe then you can give a SERiOUS reply to it, I won't hold my breath waiting
Casper
My reply WAS serious, in that yours wasn't. You can exhale now.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flordelis View Post
My reply WAS serious, in that yours wasn't. You can exhale now.
Hmmm, I wrote a paragraph describing my POV, you wrote a one line sentence in reply, yes, I sure you are making a SERIOUS point, to yourself. If you have nothing to add, which seems the case, I will move on to the SERIOUS discussions on the topic of this thread.
Casper

Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,735,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
The bolded assumes there never were marriages before there were Jews and/or Christians and that other cultures around the world never had marriage. This Christian finds that assumption to be not only ridiculous, but demeaning to others, thus distinctly unChristian.

NO, the first duty of government in this country is to protect the rights of the living, in this case, the rights of the woman. As for that last remark, you really don't know any woman's reasoning behind her decision to abort, as that is no one's business but hers. For those I've known who have had an abortion (including myself) "convenience" had nothing whatsoever to do with it.
I didn't mean to imply marriage did not exist before there were Jews and Christians. I assume that since the dawn of man there have been marriages. But it is Judaism and, later, Christianity that imparted to marriage its unique and sacred character. In other words it was not simply a living arrangement.

As regards abortion, that's the point isn't it? It really is society's business if the child in the womb is a human being.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
First. I am primarily a constitutionalist.
Second, I do not LIKE abortion, as I believe it leads to promiscuity because there are no consequences for people's actions, which of course leads to the spread of disease, abortions, and also a lot of children who have no idea who there father is. That being said, I also do not believe it is MY right nor responsibility to tell other people how to live their lives. They will have to deal with their own actions and consequences.
Third, I do not believe in gay marriage for several reasons, the main one primarily, it's something that will never be universally accepted. I DO however accept a civil union with all the right, responsibilities and privileges of a married couple. Now with that said, I also do not believe the government should be dealing with marriages anyways. If certain states wish to have same sex marriage, and some states do not accept them, then great. if you want a same sex marriage, move to a state that has that.
That was the WHOLE idea between differing states anyways! Each state has the same basic laws, however there were minor differences between each state.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:30 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
As regards abortion, that's the point isn't it? It really is society's business if the child in the womb is a human being.
Okay, I know this is off-topic and will likely be deleted by a mod. But I just have to ask anyway - in what way was 'society' harmed by an abortion I had 17-18 years ago? How were YOU harmed by that abortion? And no, I don't believe a six week fetus is a 'human being'.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM

6,812 posts, read 9,365,924 times
Most Republicans that I know care more about the economy, national security, and other issues much more than they care about gay marriage or abortion. I also know Democrats who feel that abortion and homosexuality is wrong. It's not a cut and dry thing.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
I believe you are asking about two totally different things and would generally get two completely different answers from any two randomly picked Republicans. For myself, I really don't care about gay marriage. Let me qualify that - I don't care if gays marry. I think you will find that this is largely, at least in the Republican party, the younger set could care less if gays marry and the older set seem to want to keep the status quo.

As to abortion - many Republicans look at abortion as killing a human. Thus, they are against it. I am personally against it, because having had a child and hearing that heartbeat at 8 weeks, I can't imagine someone wanting to snuff that out. I also don't get the argument that it's a woman's choice. Didn't she require a man to get pregnant? Why then is it not also a man's choice since the man has just as much investment into that child that a woman has?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies