Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
NPR's true colors shining through again.

Across America, Latino Community Sighs With Relief : NPR
why is it are we giving them public funds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,425,174 times
Honestly I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the "look out it's crazy white guy" ribbing? I don't really care but with a volitile illegal immigrant situation down there I can see what she's talking about. I think if it were a hispanic shooter it may have done irrepairable harm to what the pro-illegal groups are trying to accomplish. (which may not be a bad thing).

Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:

Your thread title is bit misleading. Daisy Hernandez contributes her writing to various publications. She is not "OF NPR".

In fact, I actually heard on NPR that there was a backlash to her using the word "Gringo". Her opinion did not represent any station or person other than her own.

When I was in Mexico for an extended stay, it was very common to call Americans Gringo and it was never said or perceived in negative way. In fact, the American neighborhood in Puerto Vallarta is named "Gringo Gulch". One of the trendiest clubs in Mazatlan was named "Gringo Lingo".

Much ado about nada.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 01-17-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Yeah, I am all about the consistency, which you wouldn't find hard to believe if you held the same value.
Then why can't you see your own inconsistency? You jump on a potentially racist comment by an NPR reporter while excusing the racism of pundits you like...Then you call for the complete elimination of NPR due to your faux outrage at the racist comment that was made. I bet you watch and support Fox right? Their racism is ok, but the racism on the left my be condemned?

I condemn racism on both sides and under the umbrella of free speech support the right of Fox and NPR to exist.

That seems a lot more consistent to me.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:

Yes, and I'm sure that there are those in the black, Muslim, Jewish... communities that are just as relieved. Simple truth is that no one will condemn the shooter's ethnic group as a whole, same could not be said if he had been something 'other.'

Old 01-17-2011, 11:05 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Then why can't you see your own inconsistency? You jump on a potentially racist comment by an NPR reporter while excusing the racism of pundits you like...Then you call for the complete elimination of NPR due to your faux outrage at the racist comment that was made. I bet you watch and support Fox right? Their racism is ok, but the racism on the left my be condemned?

I condemn racism on both sides and under the umbrella of free speech support the right of Fox and NPR to exist.

That seems a lot more consistent to me.
You don't have any idea who I watch or who I like, so don't pretend like you do. It just makes you sound foolish.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:06 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
I do believe that there were some on this forum hoping that the shooter was an illegal and were disappointed to find out otherwise.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,879 times
Is the woman for real?

Quote:
In short, the only reason the nation is taking a few days to reflect on the animosity in politics today is precisely that the shooter was not Latino.
Really?

The thought that he might be Latino never even crossed my mind!!

Had he been Latino wouldn't have made any difference to me UNLESS he may have been an ILLEGAL alien which wouldn't have changed much but just added a little more fuel to the fire.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:09 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
So many of the comments just display a lack of understanding of what it is like to be part of a group that is often only heard about when the news is negative. My oldest grandson, who is black, has said that when the news of a crime comes on tv he always holds his breath, hoping that the criminal isn't black. My grandson has never had any legal problems except a speeding ticket one time and just gets so tired....and a bit wary....of assumptions being made about him because of the actions of others...just because they share the same color skin.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:09 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
You don't have any idea who I watch or who I like, so don't pretend like you do. It just makes you sound foolish.
So who do you like and watch?

You want to eliminate NPR purely for political reasons... so let's hear it. Who do you watch? How much time have you spent listening to NPR.

I'm going to guess it's not MSNBC. I am just trying to get you to support your assertions. When one makes wild claims like NPR needs to be eliminated entirely, they sound foolish unless they can back it up. That's what I am asking you to do.. So far: bupkis...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies