Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Being a minority, i know EXACTLY what she's talking about. I can totally appreciate her sentiments.

However, i gotta admit, don't know how pejorative the term 'gringo' might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I think it's been demonstrated that both spree killers and serial killers tend to be white males between the ages of 25 and 40.

Let's start profiling them now.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
As ridiculous as your premise
What are you implying? That the shooter was entitled to all due respect?
Give me a break! This is an non issue.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM

576 posts, read 586,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
When did gringo become a slur...folk in Texas use gringo all the time; White folk included. Is White folk a slur? just checking

WE can use it. Others cant.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:42 PM

576 posts, read 586,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I do believe that there were some on this forum hoping that the shooter was an illegal and were disappointed to find out otherwise.
Like most lefties were hoping it was some rightwinger and were disappointed when they found out it wasnt?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 PM

277 posts, read 166,801 times
Why do so many people on this thread hate NPR so much & why do you keep saying it's liberal? What is so offensive about NPR? I'm beginning to think the people who chime on here about "typical NPR liberal bias", yada yada yada has never listened to NPR in their life.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
NPR's true colors shining through again.

Across America, Latino Community Sighs With Relief : NPR
I just read my first and surely my last article by that b**ch. Racial game playing just doesn't sit well with me.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
although I don't believe Gringo is a racists slur, but then again I'm not white. However the comment was extremely ignorant and insensitive. Those types of thoughts should be best left in one's own head.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
When did gringo become a slur...folk in Texas use gringo all the time; White folk included. Is White folk a slur? just checking
Yes in this context it was. Imagine if the writer had been white and decided to write a racial slur against Hispanics. My god you wouldn't be able to blink before it was on the national news and that writer was fired. I'm not personally offended at the use of the term "Gringo" what grates me is the blatant double standard on display at NPR and really around the country. In today's USA it is impossible for a non-white to be racist. Whereas a white person cannot even acknowledge pride in their own race with out being labeled "racist." I noticed a username here "blackandproud," which if fine. But I imagine I'd be banned if my username was "whiteandproud."

We live in a world where being labeled "racist" is the worst thing you can be called. Then there's this Newsweek article:

Quote:
That leads to the question that everyone wonders but rarely dares to ask. If "black pride" is good for African-American children, where does that leave white children? It's horrifying to imagine kids being "proud to be white."
Even Babies Discriminate: A NurtureShock Excerpt. - Newsweek

The question is why? Why is it "horrifying" for white kids to be proud of their ancestry? Why does society tolerate, nay encourage racial pride in minorities and homosexuals yet whites are excluded from this show of pride?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yes in this context it was. Imagine if the writer had been white and decided to write a racial slur against Hispanics. My god you wouldn't be able to blink before it was on the national news and that writer was fired. I'm not personally offended at the use of the term "Gringo" what grates me is the blatant double standard on display at NPR and really around the country. In today's USA it is impossible for a non-white to be racist. Whereas a white person cannot even acknowledge pride in their own race with out being labeled "racist." I noticed a username here "blackandproud," which if fine. But I imagine I'd be banned if my username was "whiteandproud."

We live in a world where being labeled "racist" is the worst thing you can be called. Then there's this Newsweek article:

Even Babies Discriminate: A NurtureShock Excerpt. - Newsweek

The question is why? Why is it "horrifying" for white kids to be proud of their ancestry? Why does society tolerate, nay encourage racial pride in minorities and homosexuals yet whites are excluded from this show of pride?

I've never read or heard anyone state that a child white, black or asian could not show pride in their heritage. Its one thing to show your pride, but its another to demean, disrespect or denograte another race at the same time. Yes I'm very proud to be Black no matter what anyone says. For the record, in response to my user name, there have been posters with the following names "proudandwhite", "whiteandproud", proudwhitedude.
There is nothing at all wrong with these tag name, nothing. Not sure where you get the notion that its "horrifying" to anyone for a white kid to show pride in their ancestry. This is a bogus notion, but I will respect that it is of YOUR opinion as well as the author of the article.

Edit: I went back and re-read the entire article and believe you were disengenerous in your use of the quote.

Here is the entire context of that one line

Quote:
That leads to the question that everyone wonders but rarely dares to ask. If "black pride" is good for African-American children, where does that leave white children? It's horrifying to imagine kids being "proud to be white." Yet many scholars argue that's exactly what children's brains are already computing. Just as minority children are aware that they belong to an ethnic group with less status and wealth, most white children naturally decipher that they belong to the race that has more power, wealth, and control in society; this provides security, if not confidence. So a pride message would not just be abhorrent—it'd be redundant.

The study shows what children are predisposed of by their own parents. No where in the article did it indicate that society, especial blacks believe that its horrifying for white children to show pride in their ancestry. American children are taught, American history throughout their years in school, but education and family/ancestorial history should be taught at home. I will not trust any outsiders to instill in my children what they should and should not be proud of, why should anyone?

Last edited by blackandproud; 01-17-2011 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies