Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And the day after it aired, NPR read responses from both supporters and people who criticized what she said.

I think it's silly to judge NPR based on one contributor's opinion piece. Give me break.
Just as silly as when you judge Fox News or other media outlets you deem spewing a conservative agenda based on their contributors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 03:20 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

Gringo is a slang Spanish and Portuguese word used in Spanish-speaking and Portuguese-speaking countries, principally in Latin America, to denote foreigners, often from the United States, the United Kingdom, or Westerners in general (but not in Brazil where the term applies to any foreigner, including other Latin Americans). The term can be applied to someone who is actually a foreigner, or it can denote a strong association or assimilation into foreign (particularly US) society and culture. The American Heritage Dictionary classifies gringo as "offensive slang," "usually disparaging," and "often disparaging. However, the term can also be used to simply identify a foreigner and does not carry a negative connotation according to the definition in the dictionary of the Spanish Royal Academy which defines the Spanish language.
Gringo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
While it's fair to point that out, as well as provide, as I have, direct personal knowledge of the use of the word in a non-derogatory fashion, it's also fair to acknowledge that that word can be construed as highly offensive, even if it's not "officially" defined as such.

And as a professional writer, she has an obligation to choose and use her words carefully, recognizing that if her meaning can be misconstrued, her overall point loses its impact and focus shifts to her poor choice of words.

See, for example: Palin, Sarah; "blood libel".

Old 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Gringo is a slang Spanish and Portuguese word used in Spanish-speaking and Portuguese-speaking countries, principally in Latin America, to denote foreigners, often from the United States, the United Kingdom, or Westerners in general (but not in Brazil where the term applies to any foreigner, including other Latin Americans). The term can be applied to someone who is actually a foreigner, or it can denote a strong association or assimilation into foreign (particularly US) society and culture. The American Heritage Dictionary classifies gringo as "offensive slang," "usually disparaging," and "often disparaging. However, the term can also be used to simply identify a foreigner and does not carry a negative connotation according to the definition in the dictionary of the Spanish Royal Academy which defines the Spanish language.
Well, considering that the statement was made in the United States, it makes no sense that she would be using your bolded definition, referring to a foreigner. The white person she was talking about was not a foreigner. Based on this definition, I guess all illegal aliens are the "gringos", right? Or did she mean something else???

Old 01-17-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
BS- That is not the context in which the term was used. Growing up in a Latino household I know exactly what she meant by the use of the word Gringo, as I heard it often in relation to disparaging the white race.

Example if you don't know the usage of the term "mayate" without looking it up then you obviously don't understand the pejorative context of her use of gringo.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
1) Most people are sticking to the OP, which dealt with the use of a racially pergerotive word.

2) Her actual statements were more offensive. What would have been the reaction if, after the arrest of the DC snipers, a white commentator had made the statement "It's safe to say there was a collective sigh of white relief when the DC killer turned out to be a ni**er". Do you think such a racist statement would have gotten a "free pass"? I don't, nor should she. This was an incredibly offensive comment, not just due to the racial aspect.
1) The OP dealt with the article.

2) I agree abstractly. However, I am more interested in what she was trying to say than the words that she used to say it.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Just as silly as when you judge Fox News or other media outlets you deem spewing a conservative agenda based on their contributors.
Sorry. I've never done that. Your allegation doesn't make sense.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
1) The OP dealt with the article.

2) I agree abstractly. However, I am more interested in what she was trying to say than the words that she used to say it.

I would tend to agree with you on this one. I'm more wondering why she used the term she used, and exactly what was she trying to imply, by saying what she did. I think we all sort of know what she is trying to concede to us. People are all different and take things much differently. Nothing bothers me personally, i have Italian blood thru my veins, call me whatever, does not bother me, i am confident within my own person, to get upset over names that someone may call me, names as bad as they may seen, will never hurt you. But do the ego!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
BS- That is not the context in which the term was used. Growing up in a Latino household I know exactly what she meant by the use of the word Gringo, as I heard it often in relation to disparaging the white race.

Example if you don't know the usage of the term "mayate" without looking it up then you obviously don't understand the pejorative context of her use of gringo.
In a previous post, I explained my familiarity with the term.
//www.city-data.com/forum/17450815-post44.html

Has it occured to anyone that if she did use the term in a disparaging way...She was talking a about a killer...after all.

Should she have called him a "Gentelman?" I've often heard people referring to criminals "gentleman" as in..."I saw the gentleman hit the woman on the head and then proceed to shoot her dog."

How ridiculous does that sound?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sorry. I've never done that. Your allegation doesn't make sense.
Don't take it personally. I've read enough of your posts and threads to see the veiled attempts you make to paint Fox News as the right arm of the conservative agenda. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It might even be true.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
In a previous post, I explained my familiarity with the term.
//www.city-data.com/forum/17450815-post44.html

Has it occured to anyone that if she did use the term in a disparaging way...She was talking a about a killer...after all.

Should she have called him a "Gentelman?" I've often heard people referring to criminals "gentleman" as in..."I saw the gentleman hit the woman on the head and then proceed to shoot her dog."

How ridiculous does that sound?
As ridiculous as your premise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies