Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times

Advertisements

She should have checked our prisons and jails and she would see tons of illegal latinos in them.

I believe if it was a latino it would not be getting the press and coverage like it is and Obama would not have shown up.

Typical NPR idiot talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I believe if it was a latino it would not be getting the press and coverage like it is and Obama would not have shown up.
Isn't that almost exactly the same thing she is saying?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I dont understand your post...my question is when did gringo become a slur.

Im not debating the "N" word or its use.

If you are an anglo-american[PC] person and you are offended by the term "gringo", then I want to know why. The term was never used in as derogotory identifier.
I am sorry to jump in late, so forgive me if this has already been addressed:

I am an Hispanic-American and feel that the term which Americans have heard in Western movies and such for decades has never been properly defined to the public. Ms. Hernandez is intelligent enough to know that.

Gringo | Define Gringo at Dictionary.com
There are 4 definitions and each includes at least one of the following
Disparaging, pejorative, derogatory, contemptuous, term of contempt.

Is it any better than calling someone a beaner?

Derogatory names are just that -- and it doesn't matter what one's race is.

Wasn't 'hate talk' in the media partially to blame for the shooter snapping? Was Ms. Hernandez trying to bait some other loon?

From NPR Letters:
Quote:
I'm Robert Siegel.

And it's time now for your letters. And first, we received many critical notes about a commentary on Wednesday's program. Writer Daisy Hernandez described her thinking when she heard about the shootings in Tucson.

Ms. DAISY HERNANDEZ (Writer): What I wanted to know was the killer's surname. My eyes scanned the mobile papers. I held my breath. Finally I saw it: Jared Loughner. Not a Ramirez, Gonzalez, or Garcia. It's safe to say there was a collective sigh of brown relief when the Tucson killer turned out to be a gringo.

NORRIS: Hernandez claimed that if the shooter had been Latino it would have fueled aggressive anti-immigrant talk and policies.

SIEGEL: Well Doug Robalin(ph) of Glenn Allen, Virginia, wrote this: While I can understand commentator Daisy Hernandez's relief that the Tucson shooter was not Hispanic, any sympathy I might have for her position evaporated when she referred to Jared Loughner as a gringo.

NORRIS: That word, gringo, led dozens of you to write to us. Jennifer Dahl(ph) of Sister Bay, Wisconsin, sent this: I can't believe you let her run with calling someone a gringo multiple times. It's a slur, bottom line, and don't we get enough of that elsewhere in the media?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:43 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Interesting how the discussion seems to be revolving around the word she used instead of the content of her opinion.

1) Most people are sticking to the OP, which dealt with the use of a racially pergerotive word.

2) Her actual statements were more offensive. What would have been the reaction if, after the arrest of the DC snipers, a white commentator had made the statement "It's safe to say there was a collective sigh of white relief when the DC killer turned out to be a ni**er". Do you think such a racist statement would have gotten a "free pass"? I don't, nor should she. This was an incredibly offensive comment, not just due to the racial aspect.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:31 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

This isn't Mexico...
Did I say it was? What point were you trying to make in pointing that out to me, particularly given the content of the remainder of my post? Given that we seem to agree on her use of this word being in poor taste, were you just looking to pick apart a tiny piece of my post that you could be disagreeable about? How does that further the conversation?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:32 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman at jewel lake View Post
1) most people are sticking to the op, which dealt with the use of a racially pergerotive word.

2) her actual statements were more offensive. What would have been the reaction if, after the arrest of the dc snipers, a white commentator had made the statement "it's safe to say there was a collective sigh of white relief when the dc killer turned out to be a ni**er". do you think such a racist statement would have gotten a "free pass"? I don't, nor should she. This was an incredibly offensive comment, not just due to the racial aspect.
bingo!!!

Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
She should have checked our prisons and jails and she would see tons of illegal latinos in them.

Typical NPR idiot talk.
What did you do just fill in the blank?

Typical ____ idiot talk.

I'm sure that you very rarely, if ever, tune into NPR.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I dont understand your post...my question is when did gringo become a slur.

Im not debating the "N" word or its use.

If you are an anglo-american[PC] person and you are offended by the term "gringo", then I want to know why. The term was never used in as derogotory identifier.
You don't think a Mexican has ever used the term as a derogatory reference toward Northerners? Really?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
I not advocating anything. If NPR wants to have race baiters as their contributors fine by me. NPR the real FAUX NEWS Network. LOL
And the day after it aired, NPR read responses from both supporters and people who criticized what she said.

I think it's silly to judge NPR based on one contributor's opinion piece. Give me break.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:10 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Gringo is a slang Spanish and Portuguese word used in Spanish-speaking and Portuguese-speaking countries, principally in Latin America, to denote foreigners, often from the United States, the United Kingdom, or Westerners in general (but not in Brazil where the term applies to any foreigner, including other Latin Americans). The term can be applied to someone who is actually a foreigner, or it can denote a strong association or assimilation into foreign (particularly US) society and culture. The American Heritage Dictionary classifies gringo as "offensive slang," "usually disparaging," and "often disparaging. However, the term can also be used to simply identify a foreigner and does not carry a negative connotation according to the definition in the dictionary of the Spanish Royal Academy which defines the Spanish language.
Gringo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies