Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:08 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, they're not. Government can provide anything AND pay for it responsibly if it's done right. It's simply a matter of prioritizing where the available money goes.

Where we go wrong as a nation is never prioritizing at all and simply borrowing money to pay for everything we want. It doesn't HAVE to be that way.
You are simply playing word games.
Conservatives believe a responsible government meets the obligations outlined in the Constitution and is not tasked to "provide anything".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
No, they're not. Government can provide anything AND pay for it responsibly if it's done right. It's simply a matter of prioritizing where the available money goes.

Where we go wrong as a nation is never prioritizing at all and simply borrowing money to pay for everything we want. It doesn't HAVE to be that way.
And who decides what the priorities are... It's disgusting

Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Most liberals that I know are socially retarded and fiscally dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
GOP and Dems are too partisan...

Liberals have a big influence in the Democratic Party, they're economically dangerous..Too bad...
Socially Conservatives have a big influence in the GOP, and they're too backward about gays, immigrants, non-whites..

So, a thirs party would be a good thing : fiscally conservative (low taxes, pro-business, pro-growth) and socially liberal (supporting the gay mariage, accepting more immigrants and their rights..)
Lol you live in France do you not? Then you don't understand how American politics work. The U.S. is a socially conservative, center-right country. The reason why Democrats are losing in numbers is because they are too liberal which is why in the House, for example, the majority of Democrats that are left are from safe districts in the Northeast and West Coast, and in the inner cities elsewhere.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Name one piece of evangelical legislation (outside of the defense of marriage act) passed by Congress. If there are more, it's a small handful. The evangelicals didn't transform the party--the neoconservatives are still in power, but they sure like the evangelical voters who keep putting them into office because they talk the evangelical talk, and then turn around and do what they want instead.
Who do you think put the Neo-Con's in control of the GOP?

Go back and look at the history of the Evangelical's, beginning in the 1970's. They entered into a grass-roots, precinct level campaign to make the party into just what it is today. That the Neo-Con's they put in control haven't yet delivered on the promises is a point of contention.

Begin your study with the teachings of R. J. Rushdoony because that's what underpins both groups. And, don't confuse Evangelicalism with Evangelism. They're not the same thing.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Backspace - speak for yourself.

I am a LIBERAL and an neither socially retarded or fiscally dependant. In fact I am a Vietnam Veteran that supports such liberal ideas as national health care, reduced military involvment in the mid east, and progressive income taxes sufficient to eliminate the federal deficite in 10 years. I am also believe every non-criminal citixen has the unrestricted righ to own and carry firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
And who decides what the priorities are... It's disgusting
In our country, The People do. Congress only gives us what we want.

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Lol you live in France do you not? Then you don't understand how American politics work. The U.S. is a socially conservative, center-right country. The reason why Democrats are losing in numbers is because they are too liberal which is why in the House, for example, the majority of Democrats that are left are from safe districts in the Northeast and West Coast, and in the inner cities elsewhere.
I think some of you keep saying that--that we're a socially conservative, center-right country--on the very far conservative end, but I'd like to see data from an unbiased source that backs that up. FYI--the last election wasn't about anyone not being "socially conservative" enough. It was a "throw the bums out" anti-incumbent election over the economy. I think the R's are going to have a very unpleasant surprise if they take this last election as a mandate for issues beyond fixing the economy and jobs.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You are simply playing word games.
Conservatives believe a responsible government meets the obligations outlined in the Constitution and is not tasked to "provide anything".

I don't know if you're one of them, but far too many of the "conservatives" I know simply read the Constitution and never consider the importance of Amendments and Court cases which have given new and broader meanings to the original document or, if they have, simply revert to the wholly inadequate and illogical position of claiming anything they don't like as "un-Constitutional."

Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I'm sure you think they are.

Sorry, you cant be fiscally conservative and think the government is responsible for social engineering/justice at the same time.

The two values are mutually exclusive.
Then why do conservatives support a bloated defense industry that attempts to practice social engineering? What alleged values are being shown by that practice?

Last edited by burdell; 01-19-2011 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think some of you keep saying that--that we're a socially conservative, center-right country--on the very far conservative end, but I'd like to see data from an unbiased source that backs that up. FYI--the last election wasn't about anyone not being "socially conservative" enough. It was a "throw the bums out" anti-incumbent election over the economy. I think the R's are going to have a very unpleasant surprise if they take this last election as a mandate for issues beyond fixing the economy and jobs.
As liberals have done in 2006 and 2008, when they proclaimed the death of the GOP because they are socially conservative is a misnomer. You are still regurgitating falsehoods written up by HuffPo, DailyKos, and Newsweek (I know because I was a Democrat back then and then I woke up). Yes the issues here are jobs jobs jobs, and when the economy is fixed, then people start to focus on social issues.

The GOP is not irrelevant or dead yet, far from it in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies