Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:58 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

As far as the Libertarian Party is concerned they are nothing more than closet anarchists, and a political joke that nobody ever takes seriously.

You are very much misinformed. There are millions of people who support the Libertarian party. Many don't vote for Libertarians because they think they cannot win an election.

If you think they are a "political joke", please tell me where they are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Fiscal conservatives are less concerned about the deficit than the total amount of government spending. They do not think government should spend money on any social programs, regardless of the deficit or lack thereof.

Here is one fiscal conservative definition: "Governments only responsibility is to protect the rights of the individual, by banning the initiation of force, thus making all relations between men peaceful, i.e., free from the threat of violence and fraud."

The focus is government programs and spending. Not the deficit.
With only a minor modification of your post, I agree completely. To be more specific, it should read:

Quote:
Fiscal conservatives are less concerned about the deficit than the total amount of federal government spending. They do not think the federal government should spend money on any social programs, regardless of the deficit or lack thereof.
The reason I felt the bolded additions were necessary is because state governments do not have the same restrictions on social spending that the federal government has. Therefore, while it is perfectly acceptable (meaning it is within their constitutional authority) for a state government to institute social programs, it is not acceptable for the federal government to institute social programs.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:03 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,345 times
The Founding Fathers were libertarians... Yeah what a political joke were they.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Thank you for proving my point,you do NOT believe what you wrote earlier at all,you believe in demanding other conform to your way of thinking.

You are free to call yourself whatever makes you happy,it doesn't change the fact you believe in forcing your beliefs on others because of what MIGHT happen.
You continue to ignore my points and reiterate your same high school logic.

I support reasonable regulation of products in a way that allow the users freedom of use and mitigate impact on potential victims, thus ensuring their freedom as well. Need I remind you of the two high school students (perhaps your classmates?) shot this week by a backpack dropped and a gun inside misfiring?

If you're going to keep harassing me, address my points or go back to detention. Tell me how regulating automobiles so they conform to universal safety standards that protect both the user and people who encounter that potentially deadly ton of steel is any different?

Your definition of freedom is very primitive. Freedom goes both ways, and if kids are being accidentally gunned down in school or people run over by cars because brakes malfunction due to violation of regulations, then those individuals possessing such products are violating the freedoms of others.

That is entirely different from the bigotry over the years of trying to oppress women, minorities, and homosexuals by denying their freedoms to exist without harming anyone else. Now - either don't respond and accept that I'm right or address the point without reiterating the same tired, false point you've said in every post to me.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are very much misinformed. There are millions of people who support the Libertarian party. Many don't vote for Libertarians because they think they cannot win an election.

If you think they are a "political joke", please tell me where they are wrong.
Millions, eh? Funny how they never get around to voting. In 2008 only 523,686 LP votes were cast. The LP has never had more than 0.5% of the popular vote since their inception in 1972. That is what makes them a political joke. Truly a fringe political party.

As far as for being closet anarchists, one does not have to read further than the first four sentences of LP Platform Preamble to know that it is true:

Quote:
As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others.

Consequently, we defend each person's right to engage in any activity that is peaceful and honest, and welcome the diversity that freedom brings. The world we seek to build is one where individuals are free to follow their own dreams in their own ways, without interference from government or any authoritarian power.

Source: Platform | Libertarian Party
Sovereign Individual = Anarchists

The last sentence is the most damning of them all. A world "without interference from government or any authoritarian power" is the very definition of anarchy.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Millions, eh? Funny how they never get around to voting. In 2008 only 523,686 LP votes were cast. The LP has never had more than 0.5% of the popular vote since their inception in 1972. That is what makes them a political joke.

As far as for being closet anarchists, one does not have to read further than the first four sentences of LP Platform Preamble to know that it is true:

Sovereign Individual = Anarchists

The last sentence is the most damning of them all. A world "without interference from government or any authoritarian power" is the very definition of anarchy.

You should read the rest of the story. Libertarians believe in law and order, and in fact the protection of individuals is the cornerstone of their beliefs. You are choosing to pick sentences out of context to fit your predefined agenda.

As for voting, I already told you why the numbers are small. That in no way reflects the number who agree with Libertarians.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Boy, they REALLY must have been foreward thinking founding fathers, since the Libertarian Party did not even exist 40 years ago.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:17 PM

829 posts, read 2,956,638 times
Funny, I think the Forefathers would best be described as Libertarians or the Constitution party...so much for a "joke"

Old 01-19-2011, 05:18 PM

829 posts, read 2,956,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post

Thats funny we posted that at the same time...haha

Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Since you probably will not read all of the platform, I'll post some of it for you:

"We, the members of the Libertarian Party, challenge the cult of the omnipotent state and defend the rights of the individual.

We hold that all individuals have the right to exercise sole dominion over their own lives, and have the right to live in whatever manner they choose, so long as they do not forcibly interfere with the equal right of others to live in whatever manner they choose.

Governments throughout history have regularly operated on the opposite principle, that the State has the right to dispose of the lives of individuals and the fruits of their labor. Even within the United States, all political parties other than our own grant to government the right to regulate the lives of individuals and seize the fruits of their labor without their consent.
We, on the contrary, deny the right of any government to do these things, and hold that where governments exist, they must not violate the rights of any individual: namely, (1) the right to life -- accordingly we support the prohibition of the initiation of physical force against others; (2) the right to liberty of speech and action -- accordingly we oppose all attempts by government to abridge the freedom of speech and press, as well as government censorship in any form; and (3) the right to property -- accordingly we oppose all government interference with private property, such as confiscation, nationalization, and eminent domain, and support the prohibition of robbery, trespass, fraud, and misrepresentation.

Since governments, when instituted, must not violate individual rights, we oppose all interference by government in the areas of voluntary and contractual relations among individuals. People should not be forced to sacrifice their lives and property for the benefit of others. They should be left free by government to deal with one another as free traders; and the resultant economic system, the only one compatible with the protection of individual rights, is the free market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies