Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

The tweo ideas really are not possible considering that liberals want centralization control of production and the produced. Basically what is know as big governamnt. Government being politcally based is not efficent as we have seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I thought you were for "letting people be whomever they are without hindrance. It's about keeping government and oppressive people out of the way"???

Guess not.
Ummm... maintaining public safety is and always has been a responsibility of government. Background checks and mental health checks, as well as safeties, seem reasonable to me. But, you're just trying to spin words to serve some view. I live a in major city and the last thing I want is a bunch of drunk people carrying guns around at 3 am.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:35 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Ummm... maintaining public safety is and always has been a responsibility of government. Background checks and mental health checks, as well as safeties, seem reasonable to me. But, you're just trying to spin words to serve some view. I live a in major city and the last thing I want is a bunch of drunk people carrying guns around at 3 am.
You cannot believe in "letting people be whomever they are without hindrance" and " keeping government and oppressive people out of the way" and also demand other people be controlled for what MIGHT happen....

You demand control,just the control you like.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You cannot believe in "letting people be whomever they are without hindrance" and " keeping government and oppressive people out of the way" and also demand other people be controlled for what MIGHT happen....

You demand control,just the control you like.
You're attacking me because I don't take an extremist position. Fine. If your argument possessed any logic, it might merit further discourse. Suffice to say, I'm also glad we have speed limits on residential streets before little children get plowed down, laws against murdering people before bloody bodies are lying in the streets, and laws aganist theft, even theft that hasn't happened yet. Unbelievable.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You're attacking me because I don't take an extremist position. Fine. If your argument possessed any logic, it might merit further discourse. Suffice to say, I'm also glad we have speed limits on residential streets before little children get plowed down, laws against murdering people before bloody bodies are lying in the streets, and laws aganist theft, even theft that hasn't happened yet. Unbelievable.
Attacking?Responding to your posts is attacking now???

Do you believe in punishing people BEFORE they commit a crime?

I am sorry you are a statist and believe in controlling others,denying it makes you also a hypocrite.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:30 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times
Being what I would call a conservative libertarian...I like Ron Paul, I heard him say something interesting one time...He said the liberals are so free thinking when it comes to social issues, but when it comes to YOUR MONEY they want to tell you what to do...They dont make sense. The topic of this thread made me think of that.

I consider myself fiscally conservative and most other things libertarian. I am a member of the Constitution party as well. I also am a Christian so for example I am not for abortions, and dont agree with gay marriage either...so for me it is hard to keep a strict label, that is why i say a conservative libertarian.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
It already exists...it's called the Libertarian Party.
Bingo The problem in this thread the OP never defined what is "socially liberal" and "fiscally conservative" so it ends up devolving into a slug fest between the same old same old; left / right status quo political partisan supporters.

Visit www.lp.org

See the website and then look at the platforms. Anyone can clearly see what is fiscally conservative for the LP and what is socially liberal for them as well.

Platform | Libertarian Party

Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
GOP and Dems are too partisan...

Liberals have a big influence in the Democratic Party, they're economically dangerous..Too bad...
Socially Conservatives have a big influence in the GOP, and they're too backward about gays, immigrants, non-whites..

So, a thirs party would be a good thing : fiscally conservative (low taxes, pro-business, pro-growth) and socially liberal (supporting the gay mariage, accepting more immigrants and their rights..)
They have been around for years. They are called blue dog democrats.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
Being what I would call a conservative libertarian...I like Ron Paul, I heard him say something interesting one time...He said the liberals are so free thinking when it comes to social issues, but when it comes to YOUR MONEY they want to tell you what to do...They dont make sense. The topic of this thread made me think of that.

I consider myself fiscally conservative and most other things libertarian. I am a member of the Constitution party as well. I also am a Christian so for example I am not for abortions, and dont agree with gay marriage either...so for me it is hard to keep a strict label, that is why i say a conservative libertarian.
Libertarianism = fiscal conservative, extremely even

Old 01-19-2011, 01:10 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Most liberals that I know are socially retarded and fiscally dependent.

True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies