Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

While it is true that parents who send their kids to Catholic, or other private schoos, are involved in their kids' educations, the corrolary is NOT true. That is, it's not true that parents who send their kids to public school are not interested in their educations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Even reading through all the excuses and rationalizations for the lower performance the study's muddled results are clear.

The biggest thing that private schools provide to our society is CHOICE something I thought most of you liberal, baby killing, communists held up as your own personal Jesus.

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard...es/2006459.pdf

The above report was the last time the NCES did a national private school study. There is currently one taking place that will be finished in March. Here is the link to the NCES.
NAEP - Private and Other Nonpublic Schools and the Nation's Report Card
You wouldn't like CHOICE, if public schools ceased to exist in their present form and all students were free to choose amongst both public and private schools. If public funds are going to go to your favorite private school, said school will no longer be able to turn away or expel students, which will quickly transform its environment to one resembling a public school. Be careful what you wish for - you may get it....

Last edited by ray1945; 02-09-2011 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-09-2011, 12:47 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Obviously you people refuse to be educated.

I wonder what school you attended.

Here I will try again: Is a Harvard report good enough for you supporters of a decaying public school system.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/pepg/PDF/...sonLlaudet.pdf

Obviously you didn't read the post of mine you quoted, but for some unknown reason used it as a basis for your nonrelated response.

Please specify where I've voiced support of the current decaying public school approach to education.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So I read this article, and do not come to quite the same conclusions as you do. Some direct quotes:

Our research shows the demographics of Adventist schools are closer to those of public schools, with high economic and socioeconomic diversity.

Key word: closer. Not the same as, but closer. They also do not say how much closer.

we found no link between per-pupil spending and student achievement.

The biggest factor in per-pupil spending is salaries, wages, and benefits. So they get some dedicated teachers who are willing and able to work for low salaries, and the per-pupil cost goes down. That's like the Catholic schools, who use priests and nuns, who have taken a vow of poverty!

Some of the biggest predictors for student achievement, according to statistical models we developed, include whether students have a positive spiritual outlook, have a healthy relationship with their parents, and take care of their own health.

Well of course if you develop your own criteria, your schools will come out on top. What a bunch of hooey!

It's what a lot of people like about private schools.

First of all, the SDA study did NOT develop their "own criteria." They used nationally highly recognized tests, The Iowa Test of Basic Skils, The Iowa Test of Educational Development and the Cognitive Abilities Test. If you know anything about education, you would be familiar with these tests and recognize how widespread their use is and how respected their results are. Read the quote from the article. The SDA students in this four year study scored higher than the national average. They also scored higher on their achievement than would have been expected by their tested abilities. Transfer students from public schools had improved scores also. It doesn't get much clearer than this.

For real education reform, take a cue from the Adventists - CSMonitor.com

"Between 2006 and 2010, my colleagues and I analyzed test scores of 51,706 students, based on the Iowa Test of Basic Skills for Grades 3-8, the Iowa Test of Educational Development for Grades 9 and 11, and the Cognitive Abilities Test for all grades, as well as surveys completed by students, parents, teachers, and school administrators."

And what is your point about arguing the "no link" between per pupil spending and student achievement? Your interpretation just proves the public schools don't need more money to improve their students' performance. If anything, they should realize they should get rid of all the unions and keep or bring in only the truly dedicated teachers.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
First of all, the SDA study did NOT develop their "own criteria." They used nationally highly recognized tests, The Iowa Test of Basic Skils, The Iowa Test of Educational Development and the Cognitive Abilities Test. If you know anything about education, you would be familiar with these tests and recognize how widespread their use is and how respected their results are. Read the quote from the article. The SDA students in this four year study scored higher than the national average. They also scored higher on their achievement than would have been expected by their tested abilities. Transfer students from public schools had improved scores also. It doesn't get much clearer than this.

"Between 2006 and 2010, my colleagues and I analyzed test scores of 51,706 students, based on the Iowa Test of Basic Skills for Grades 3-8, the Iowa Test of Educational Development for Grades 9 and 11, and the Cognitive Abilities Test for all grades, as well as surveys completed by students, parents, teachers, and school administrators."

And what is your point about arguing the "no link" between per pupil spending and student achievement? Your interpretation just proves the public schools don't need more money to improve their students' performance. If anything, they should realize they should get rid of all the unions and keep or bring in only the truly dedicated teachers.
Bold #1: They didn't? Then what does this mean:
according to statistical models we developed

#2: My point is if the SDA schools can find teacher who are willing to work for peanuts, of course they will show a lower per-pupil cost, as most of the cost is the cost of the teachers. It's quite a stretch to say get ride of unions and "keep or bring in only the truyly dedicated teachers". Is there some sort of test for "dedication"?

Old 02-09-2011, 01:26 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes they are and are further required to fully integrate those non-performers into regular classes. And then try to point all of them towards college, no vocational direction because you know.."everyone is a winner, everyone CAN".

And that points out one of America's great fallacies; "everybody in America is above average."

We just don't have any good programs for kids who aren't college material. And there are a lot of them.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:29 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:

Downtown Atlanta pays more per pupil than most of the small cities in georgia, but the small city schools do better. I am talking about public schools, both with unions. THe key is those who have the best students and parents perform better. The Atlanta city schools have a harder time recruiting teachers because of the discipline problems. It is real competitive in the smaller cities. The smaller public schools get the best teachers, because it is more enjoyable to teach when you have better students and parents.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
There is no SAT for private school kids and a different SAT for public school kids.
The academic criteria is the same; it's the garbage, and I mean that figuratively, that is dumped on the public schools that differs.

Private schools don't get to make up their own academic criteria...the SAT is used nationwide for college entry.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:39 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Downtown Atlanta pays more per pupil than most of the small cities in georgia, but the small city schools do better. I am talking about public schools, both with unions. THe key is those who have the best students and parents perform better. The Atlanta city schools have a harder time recruiting teachers because of the discipline problems. It is real competitive in the smaller cities. The smaller public schools get the best teachers, because it is more enjoyable to teach when you have better students and parents.
I agree with you that a small school with better students/parents will attract better teachers and the test results from a school such as this will be superior to the larger, poorer schools. Unfortunately, we all can't send our kids to these schools. This study from the SDA schools sure indicates that if you take a pretty average population of kids and put them in this SDA program, which the public schools could emulate (sans the specific religion) you stand a good chance of improving the kids' academic performance. The approach emphasized stresses a holistic approach that integrates the mind, body and spirit. It has been featured on a PBS documentary and I and obviously others, think it sounds worthwhile enough to warrant further research and consideration.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:55 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Attributed to not having to contend with Unions, higher academic and moral expectations and parents' free choice of school. What do you think is the key? What can the public schools learn?
I graduated from catholic school, and I would be the last person to blame unions and "moral expectations". In universities I competed with some fine students who were products of public school system. The world isn't as monochromatic as you appear to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies