Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Now you're putting words in my mouth, and suggestions I never made. I never said it was illegal, I said the action itself was idiotic. Never said illegal, didn't even say move over, I simply said if they are doing so to obstruct traffic, then they were an idiot.

Why do people read into a statement things that were never said, or even inferred?
Which is exactly how people feel about those who use left lane as a lane to cruise on. Not that they were breaking the law. Just like the 40 mphers, they were following legal limits.

The one suggestion I can see from your post is that, following legal limits doesn't make it sane to stick self on the left lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,391 times
I have an update for my own area of the country on this issue:

Washington state troopers in King County pulled over 223 drivers last month who camped out in the freeway passing lane, breaking a law that not many drivers know about. Of those, 199 were let off with warnings.

The Washington State Patrol is putting higher emphasis on keeping slower traffic in the right lane and out of the left general purpose lane, which is the designated passing lane.

Many of those who were pulled over didn't know it was against the law, the state patrol said. Troopers told them to stay out of the left lane if traveling below freeway speeds and not to travel continuously in the left lane for no reason. Violators could be fined $124.

One of the concerns for enforcing the law is aggressive drivers who get frustrated at the slower traffic in front of them and, as a result, dart from lane to lane to get by other cars.

Troopers pull over 223 passing lane 'campers' in King County - Local News - Seattle, WA - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42978693 - broken link)

I've seen several close calls on the freeway since I started this thread, with older -- okay, oblivious MATURE -- drivers cruising just at the speed limit for miles while frustrated cars behind them wanting to pass honked, made rude gestures, and tailgated.

Just count me as a 100% convert to staying out of the left lane unless you're passing someone and can get back to the right lanes immediately. Road rage is bad enough out there nowadays.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Keep nright except to pass, it's easy

Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
What pisses me off even more is the snail driver in the far left lane, not realizing what this lane is for. That person driving like a snail in the fast lane, is a accident waiting to happen.

No matter what happens with what laws passed, you will always have drivers that do not pay attention once they are behind a wheel.

I drive the freeways all the time here in Calif, i am always in the left lane, driving the speed limit, ok and sometimes a bit faster, never have gotten a ticket, and i have a red car. Hope this does not change for me. Also have a 1970 Boss 351 and love to drive none other then the fast lane, that car is fast.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
What **** me off is not people on the left lane is slow, is when he/she drives side by side with the car to the right. They can stay on the left lane and drive slow all they way, leave a gap so other people can pass. But NO, they think is cool to drive right next to the driver to their right.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:14 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
I have an update for my own area of the country on this issue:

Washington state troopers in King County pulled over 223 drivers last month who camped out in the freeway passing lane, breaking a law that not many drivers know about. Of those, 199 were let off with warnings.

The Washington State Patrol is putting higher emphasis on keeping slower traffic in the right lane and out of the left general purpose lane, which is the designated passing lane.

Many of those who were pulled over didn't know it was against the law, the state patrol said. Troopers told them to stay out of the left lane if traveling below freeway speeds and not to travel continuously in the left lane for no reason. Violators could be fined $124.

One of the concerns for enforcing the law is aggressive drivers who get frustrated at the slower traffic in front of them and, as a result, dart from lane to lane to get by other cars.

Troopers pull over 223 passing lane 'campers' in King County - Local News - Seattle, WA - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42978693 - broken link)

I've seen several close calls on the freeway since I started this thread, with older -- okay, oblivious MATURE -- drivers cruising just at the speed limit for miles while frustrated cars behind them wanting to pass honked, made rude gestures, and tailgated.

Just count me as a 100% convert to staying out of the left lane unless you're passing someone and can get back to the right lanes immediately. Road rage is bad enough out there nowadays.
God that's sad. How is it that people with a driver's license don't know that the left lane of a highway is for passing only? Instead of a warning, these idiots should have their licenses revoked until they can demonstrate knowledge of the rules of the road.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Quote:
Regardless of what's happening out there in the real world on our freeways and how you personally feel about drivers doing the speed limit in the left lane, it appears to me this proposed ordinance would ticket lawful drivers in order to accommodate those who are breaking the law.

A state senator is sponsoring legislation that would ticket drivers for holding up traffic in the left lane.
Marion Player drives for a living and said there's nothing worse than slow drivers in the left lane.
"They need to move over to the slow lane and give the faster traffic a chance to get by," Player said
Tim Davis says it would be ridiculous to ticket drivers who are doing the speed limit just because they're in the left lane.

...Critics said the bill is encouraging drivers to speed, but Senator Mike Bennett who is sponsoring the proposed legislation disagrees.
"It will not encourage speeders. It will tell people there are speeders out there- - get out of their way," Bennett said.

Drivers Could Be Ticketed For Driving Slow In Left Lane - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

Signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" mean slower than the posted speed LIMIT. You're not obstructing traffic if you're obeying the law in the left lane.

(Disclaimer: Reformed speeder and tailgater.)
the left lane is the passing lane, not the speeding lane

**** this stupid law

Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" mean slower than the posted speed LIMIT.

That is not true at all. Slower traffic means slower than other traffic. Slower traffic is a relative term, not a speed limit.

Yes, people should be ticketed for obstructing traffic.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Late in here, but in NH what the posted limits says and the reality are 2 very different things.

The posted limit on the Interstate is 65 MPH. The reality is more like 75 MPH, and faster where on somedays most traffic is doin' about 85 MPH.

Doing 65 is sucidal. And when most traffic is doin' 85, plenty are passing them and fast.

The beater Toyota 'Pick Up' I get to drive for work can't keep that sort of thing up a bit and I am way over with the big rigs, one eye in the mirrors incase i can't stay with them.

On my bike it's another matter, and then get the Hell out of my way in the left passing lane. I will be in the next lane over doing any speed I like untill I want to pass. I tend to ride apx 10 MPH faster than most traffic. I find it safer. And look for ME I get pretty upset when someone slips in the spot I am riding in because 'They didn't see me!'

Old 05-10-2011, 04:31 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,429 times
Regardless of driving etiquette, ticketing individuals for driving at the speed limit in the left lane creates a catch-22. If they exceed the speed limit, they can be ticketed for speeding. If they travel at the speed limit, they can be ticketed for preventing others from exceeding the speed limit.

While it's true that some states have laws regulating left-lane driving, there are numerous reasons why someone might choose to travel in the right lane: thinning-out the flow of traffic, inability to re-enter the right lane due to traffic flow, positioning for an exit or entrance ramp, and moving from a right lane in which someone is traveling at an unusually slow speed are among them.

I would think that the better solution would be to have dual speed limits--one speed limit for the left lane and a lower speed limit for other lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies