Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 11:32 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Why is it so difficult for you to understand that when your state staute specifically states that vehicles are to stay to the right, except when passing, that this is the law?
Why is it so difficult for you to understand, that I was told that EVEN IF I AM PASSING TRAFFIC THAT IS TO MY RIGHT, IF THERE ARE 5 CARS BEHIND ME WAITING TO PASS THAT I WILL GET A TKT, is what was being discussed in that last exchange?

READ the last part.. I am driving the speed limit, AND, I am passing people.. Why should I get a tkt, because there are people who want to break the law and drive faster than the speed limit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Then I lose.

But it will cost the state many many dollars, because I will fight it, requesting a jury, (if possible, since "MINOR" traffic violations in the state of Alaska do not allow for jury trials), and then appeal it.

Then work on getting that law changed, because I believe it's inane to give someone a tkt for passing people, driving the speed limit and because people want to break the law, the person obeying the speed limit gets a tkt. @@@
What is inane are the morons who deliberately block traffic, regardless of speed.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:13 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,920,209 times
I cant believe this thread is going on and on much to the amusement of the one person who reminds me of a typical brat kid hiding behind his mommy sticking his tongue out at his opposition.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Regardless of what's happening out there in the real world on our freeways and how you personally feel about drivers doing the speed limit in the left lane, it appears to me this proposed ordinance would ticket lawful drivers in order to accommodate those who are breaking the law.

A state senator is sponsoring legislation that would ticket drivers for holding up traffic in the left lane.
Marion Player drives for a living and said there's nothing worse than slow drivers in the left lane.
"They need to move over to the slow lane and give the faster traffic a chance to get by," Player said
Tim Davis says it would be ridiculous to ticket drivers who are doing the speed limit just because they're in the left lane.

...Critics said the bill is encouraging drivers to speed, but Senator Mike Bennett who is sponsoring the proposed legislation disagrees.
"It will not encourage speeders. It will tell people there are speeders out there- - get out of their way," Bennett said.

Drivers Could Be Ticketed For Driving Slow In Left Lane - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

Signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" mean slower than the posted speed LIMIT. You're not obstructing traffic if you're obeying the law in the left lane.

(Disclaimer: Reformed speeder and tailgater.)
You shouldn't be IN the left lane unless you are passing a driver. If that driver is going the speed limit, then you have to exceed it to pass them...but after passing that driver, you return to the right lane, you don't camp out in the left lane, as I've seen many do, and even been guilty of doing myself.

"See that speck up there? I'm trying to pass him."

Old 02-12-2011, 02:57 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Why is it so difficult for you to understand, that I was told that EVEN IF I AM PASSING TRAFFIC THAT IS TO MY RIGHT, IF THERE ARE 5 CARS BEHIND ME WAITING TO PASS THAT I WILL GET A TKT, is what was being discussed in that last exchange?

READ the last part.. I am driving the speed limit, AND, I am passing people.. Why should I get a tkt, because there are people who want to break the law and drive faster than the speed limit?
Apparently you missed the part in driving school where it was taught to accelerate in order to pass. If you are holding up 5 cars behind you in the left lane then you are not going with the flow of traffic and are creating a safety hazard, regardless of your speed and the speed limit.

http://www.drivers.com/drive-edsample.pdf

Old 02-13-2011, 08:30 PM

401 posts, read 473,914 times
Very Very Simple. If you are not passing someone... STAY OUT OF THE LEFT LANE.

And dont be a jerk. If you are going to commit and get into the left lane to pass, try to to it quickly and get back over to the right.

I hate people that are in the left lane are "passing" at 61 MPH while the person to the right is going 60 MPH.

It is plain and simple. There are clueless and arrogant drivers that do not care about traffic flow. They should be ticketed.

I am moving to Orlando when this law passes. LOL.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,268 times
Quote:
My biggest pet peeve is when you are in the right lane, because the exit you need to take, (along with everyone else) is ½ mile ahead, and the line for that exit is already 3/4 of a mile, and some jerk gets in the lane to the left, and cruises by the line, and then cuts in, (usually crossing the double line which is another traffic violation), and either causes an accident, or almost causes one. It's jerks like that, that cause the flow to slow down even more.

One of the funniest traffic stops I ever saw was that exact thing, but the guy that was cut off, was a state trooper in an unmarked car. The dirtwad crossed a double line with road signs saying it was against the law to cross the double line, and the guy actually clipped the state trooper's car. LOL..

Karma, it's not just a word.
I know it's petty but I NEVER let these types in if I can help it. For the most part I've lost my lead foot and ego when driving but one thing that gets me angry are these morons. More often than not they are the ones making rush hour worse than it needs to be.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Regardless of what's happening out there in the real world on our freeways and how you personally feel about drivers doing the speed limit in the left lane, it appears to me this proposed ordinance would ticket lawful drivers in order to accommodate those who are breaking the law.

A state senator is sponsoring legislation that would ticket drivers for holding up traffic in the left lane.
Marion Player drives for a living and said there's nothing worse than slow drivers in the left lane.
"They need to move over to the slow lane and give the faster traffic a chance to get by," Player said
Tim Davis says it would be ridiculous to ticket drivers who are doing the speed limit just because they're in the left lane.

...Critics said the bill is encouraging drivers to speed, but Senator Mike Bennett who is sponsoring the proposed legislation disagrees.
"It will not encourage speeders. It will tell people there are speeders out there- - get out of their way," Bennett said.

Drivers Could Be Ticketed For Driving Slow In Left Lane - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

Signs that say "Slower Traffic Keep Right" mean slower than the posted speed LIMIT. You're not obstructing traffic if you're obeying the law in the left lane.

(Disclaimer: Reformed speeder and tailgater.)

Get out of the left lane if you're not going to drive with the flow of traffic. It's not that complicated.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:

That wasn't your original premise.
I'm enjoying your backtracking, though.
Yes, I can be easily amused.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Default memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That wasn't your original premise.
I'm enjoying your backtracking, though.
Yes, I can be easily amused.
I am even more amused that you think I am backtracking. I am sure it's a simple comprehension issue. May I suggest Dictionary.com | Free Online Dictionary for English Definitions for the words that have more than a single syllable.

My original premise was, I can drive the speed limit in the left hand lane much to your dissatisfaction.

I never suggested I wasn't passing traffic to my right, and if that's what you THOUGHT, then you thought wrong. Just because you ASSUMED something was meant, doesn't make it so.

Comprehension - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

com·pre·hen·sion

noun \ˌkäm-pri-ˈhen(t)-shən, -prē-\
Definition of COMPREHENSION

a : the act or action of grasping with the intellect : understanding b : knowledge gained by comprehending c : the capacity for understanding fully <mysteries that are beyond our comprehension>

a : the act or process of comprising b : the faculty or capability of including : comprehensiveness

: connotation 3

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies