Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 08:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yawn

On Arizona state highways (also called state routes) and U.S. routes in Arizona, the speed limit is 65 miles per hour.

Arizona Speed Limit: Know Arizona Speed Limits and Avoid Those Speeding Fines (http://www.arizona-vacation-planner.com/arizona-speed-limit.html - broken link)

Not going to take up your flame bait, sorry

Weak. Our freeways have the same speed limits day and night. Our state highways have the same speed limits day and night. Meanwhile, your state has split speed limits because you guys can't be trusted to drive at night at the same speed limit. Worse...they even have split speed limits in West Texas where THERE IS NO TRAFFIC!!! How pathetic is that?

Face it...Texans can't drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
but driving the speed limit in the left lane is not safe, and speed limits are designed for safety.
I hate to say this but this is the dumbest comment I've read in a long time.

Why is driving the speed limit in the left lane unsafe?

Geez, and all the times the construction crews had the right lane shut down, only the left lane open, all those miles I was driving the speed limit... I was in danger OMG,

Speed limits were NOT designed for safety, I have this documented in one of my earlier posts (86 I think) here....

More along the lines of it's sad and pathetic that the speed limits are still set low. Nanny government set the speed limits low in 1973 because of the oil crisis.

Car and Drivers Csaba Csere wrote an excellent article back in 1999 showing the stupidity even then of keeping the low speed limits set in 1973.

In 1998, Speed Still Didn't Kill - Column - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

BTW, Csaba is a recognized expert in the automotive field and Car & Driver has been a well respected automotive magazine for decades.

Last edited by plwhit; 02-10-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default Control Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I love it when people try to push their agenda on others by using "it's for the childrenzzzzzzz!"
It's none of your business what others do, you're not a law enforcement officer.
Got some control issues?
What I have is issues with people who set a lousy example for their kids. No wonder things are so screwed up. Your kids follow your example you set them. If you teach them it's ok to ignore the laws you don't like, and only follow the ones you like, that's what they learn.

BTW, whether or not I am a law enforcement officer or not, there ARE things that are my business, and I will stick my nose in them.

Control that.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:44 AM

Default pet peeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
One of my biggest pet peeves are those who enter the freeway and attempt to merge with traffic going well below the posted speed limit. It has a ripple effect, causing those in the right lane to move to the left lane, slowing down everyone.
My biggest pet peeve is when you are in the right lane, because the exit you need to take, (along with everyone else) is ½ mile ahead, and the line for that exit is already 3/4 of a mile, and some jerk gets in the lane to the left, and cruises by the line, and then cuts in, (usually crossing the double line which is another traffic violation), and either causes an accident, or almost causes one. It's jerks like that, that cause the flow to slow down even more.

One of the funniest traffic stops I ever saw was that exact thing, but the guy that was cut off, was a state trooper in an unmarked car. The dirtwad crossed a double line with road signs saying it was against the law to cross the double line, and the guy actually clipped the state trooper's car. LOL..

Karma, it's not just a word.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:49 AM

Default let me repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No, the scenario doesn't call for that. Let me repeat.

Max speed limit: 70 mph.
I'm going 65 mph (legal) on left lane (per you, should always be legal).
You were going 70 mph, until you're behind me. Now, you're following me at 65 mph.

Does this present you with any problem? Remember, I'm not breaking laws as you would like to see them (driving within speed limit, and allowed to drive on left lane).
If you are not breaking the law, then you are not breaking the law. If the law allows you to drive like that, and there are areas where that is perfectly legal, then I don't have a problem.

Next, I never said "should always be legal" I quoted a section that noted that the left lane was predominantly used for entering and exiting traffic.

Let me re-iterate, if you aren't breaking the law, fine.

It's really sad that people either cannot comprehend what is written, or they simply believe that something else was meant, with no regard to what was actually said and meant.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 AM

It truly is sad that people are wrapped around the axle of laws that were written 38 years ago and have no bearing on current driving conditions.

Could this blind insistence on slow speed be because they have gotten old and are scared of driving at higher speeds and their reflexes are no longer up to it?

When I am forced to pass the high-and-mighty that refuse to yield the road because "I am doing the speed limit" it makes me wonder what in this a**holes life made them the jerk they are now.....

Some people just get off on their holier-than-thou attitudes, they are just another of life's annoyances and a slowly diminishing vehicle in my rear-view mirror.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
It truly is sad that people are wrapped around the axle of laws that were written 38 years ago and have no bearing on current driving conditions.
First of all, speed limit laws were not written 38 years ago. Second, each state determines the speed limit based upon the design of the road. In Alaska, for example, highways are designed to be driven safely at 75 mph, but the state legislature created a 65 mph speed limit. You still have to be driving more than 70 mph before State Troopers will cite you for speeding.

Quote:
Could this blind insistence on slow speed be because they have gotten old and are scared of driving at higher speeds and their reflexes are no longer up to it?

When I am forced to pass the high-and-mighty that refuse to yield the road because "I am doing the speed limit" it makes me wonder what in this a**holes life made them the jerk they are now.....

Some people just get off on their holier-than-thou attitudes, they are just another of life's annoyances and a slowly diminishing vehicle in my rear-view mirror.
Sounds like your state needs something similar to Alaska's law requiring drivers who have five or more vehicles immediately following them to pull over and yield to the following traffic or be cited.

It has nothing to do with the speed limit either. If the lead vehicle is driving 120 mph and there are five or more vehicles immediately following them, they can still be cited if they do not pull over and yield to the following traffic.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,549 times
Quote:
No biggie, just wait for an opening on the right, pass you, smile and give you the one finger salute as I passed you.

Idiots driving in the left lane and refusing to get over like in your scenario are what causes accidents.

I had something similar to the scenario you described.... The person in the left was doing the speed limit, there was a semi in the right lane doing the same speed... mile after mile the car would not speed up nor slow down, flashing the high beams had no effect...

Sooooo, popped the car into 3rd and slowly crept up behind the car

tap

tap

tap

They got the hint, sped up and moved over.... and yes I had a good train of cars and trucks behind me at the time

People who think they are the high and mighty like you can be dangerous for everyone else on the road....
That is pure win... if only i had the cojones to pull that off :-p

For those 'holier than thou' types out there that believe it's their duty to enforce the speed limit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Ox0ZmVIU

Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times
No one is really supposed to camp in the left lane. It's for passing. You pass and then get over. Freeway driving is an active process. You shouldn't just be camping out and zoning out.

Personally, I go with the flow of traffic. Here in Ohio I stay to the right and go between the speed limit to 10 mph over. State police are very strict here and I currently have zero points on my license (FINALLY!!!!) and want to keep it that way.

Most people that camp in a lane do so to yack on their cell phone or are self nominated traffic cops. Just move over!

Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
First of all, speed limit laws were not written 38 years ago. Second, each state determines the speed limit based upon the design of the road. In Alaska, for example, highways are designed to be driven safely at 75 mph, but the state legislature created a 65 mph speed limit. You still have to be driving more than 70 mph before State Troopers will cite you for speeding.
The current speed limits were set by the federal government 38 years ago. Obviously states can and do set their own speed limits... Go back and read ALL the posts in this thread before you get diarrhea of the fingertips......

Quote:
Sounds like your state needs something similar to Alaska's law requiring drivers who have five or more vehicles immediately following them to pull over and yield to the following traffic or be cited.
The stack up I referred to took place in Arizona, not Texas. I can see you didn't bother to read the posts in this thread because if you did you wouldn't have come out with your illiterate statement......

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the speed limit either. If the lead vehicle is driving 120 mph and there are five or more vehicles immediately following them, they can still be cited if they do not pull over and yield to the following traffic.
Why are you zero'd in on my stack up comment? - Again, you didn't bother to read all the posts...

Are you upset over my stack up comment because you are one of the ones who cause these traffic pileups?

Last edited by plwhit; 02-11-2011 at 02:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies