Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:42 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
Yeah, and were any of them openly athiests?
Of course not - not politically prudent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Maher can believe hussein is a liar (we already knew that) and it must be killing the christian hater that hussein obama's sheep may be inspired to go to church.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
So, Bill Maher thinks Obama is a coward? Sounds like he's ok with it. Alinsky would be proud.
Man, you really know how to run with something, i swear.

I didn't hear Maher say that, but who knows? Hell, what's cowardice when you're a president? How is that defined? Anyone can talk tough when they aren't putting their own life on the line. It's like people used to say that Bush was tough. Huh? How? What...by sending troops into battle? That aint toughness to me.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Man, you really know how to run with something, i swear.

I didn't hear Maher say that, but who knows? Hell, what's cowardice when you're a president? How is that defined? Anyone can talk tough when they aren't putting their own life on the line. It's like people used to say that Bush was tough. Huh? How? What...by sending troops into battle? That aint toughness to me.
Obama is only marginally more of a coward than Bush.

Maher is going right after the Alinsky playbook of "ends justify the means". Lying about being Christian appeases the centrists and independent religious folks and Maher claiming that he's faking it might even bring some of the leftists and secular humanists back into Obama's camp. I think that Maher could give Rove a run for his money.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:35 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,283 times
People like Maher and others desperately want to project their own beliefs onto Obama.

The reality is that Obama's declaration of faith has been consistent over the past several years.

He has repeatedly confirmed that he believes his God is leading him. People just choose to overlook it.
2006 Obama: But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side, I felt I heard God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth and carrying out His works."

2008: “I know that I don’t walk alone, and I know that if I can get myself out of the way, that I can maybe carry out in some small way what he intends,†Obama said.

2011: Obama then revealed that “When I wake in the morning, I wait on the Lord, and I ask him to give me the strength to do right by our country and its people. And when I go to bed at night, I wait on the Lord, and I ask him to forgive me my sins and look after my family and the American people and make me an instrument of his will.â€
Some people reject it because it defies the image they've projected onto Obama.

What's a left winger to do? They would rather believe he is lying than to conclude their judgment of him was inaccurate.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Why the shouting? If the liberals don't care then why would Bill Mayer make a point to say he doesn't believe that Obama is a Christian? Usually, if someone doesn't care about it then it is not the topic of conversation.
Nobody's shouting...hearing voices????

Where did someone say "liberals don't care"...making things up???

Bill Maher has the right to speak for himself....which he does.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
People like Maher and others desperately want to project their own beliefs onto Obama.

The reality is that Obama's declaration of faith has been consistent over the past several years.

He has repeatedly confirmed that he believes his God is leading him. People just choose to overlook it.
2006 Obama: But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side, I felt I heard God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth and carrying out His works."

2008: “I know that I don’t walk alone, and I know that if I can get myself out of the way, that I can maybe carry out in some small way what he intends,†Obama said.

2011: Obama then revealed that “When I wake in the morning, I wait on the Lord, and I ask him to give me the strength to do right by our country and its people. And when I go to bed at night, I wait on the Lord, and I ask him to forgive me my sins and look after my family and the American people and make me an instrument of his will.â€
Some people reject it because it defies the image they've projected onto Obama.

What's a left winger to do? They would rather believe he is lying than to conclude their judgment of him was inaccurate.
Yup. Seems to me that Maher wants to fool his leftist audience into believing that Obama worships people over God.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:59 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think that President Obama is a light Christian. One that doesn't believe that you should hate homosexuals, deny them marriage, or dictate morality on other folks.

So, do 'heavy' Christians preach hatred as part of their dogma?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:05 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Nobody's shouting...hearing voices????
Where did someone say "liberals don't care"...making things up???

Bill Maher has the right to speak for himself....which he does.
Who is shouting you ask? Why you were Who?Me? With your all capitalization for emphasis and big green smiling emoticon. BTW in case you didn't know; typing in caps signifies shouting. So yeah, it was you.

Here in case you need a reminder:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?!
9:14 to 9:17.....3 minutes...and the "silence is deafening"?

This liberal doesn't CARE what Obama's religion is as long as he keeps it out of his policies

Old 02-13-2011, 01:11 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm saying that just because someone says they are Christians, doesn't mean they are Christians.
Here's another way to look at it. In my experience, the people who shout about their faith the loudest, wear it on their sleeve, and judge other's behavior are usually the ones trying to deflect and hide their own dirty little secrets. Most of the "real" Christians I know--the ones who actually go about the business of trying to follow in the steps of Christ--tend to be pretty humble people. They don't need to demonstrate their faith to the world because their personal relationship with God is strong and secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies