Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. As far as I see, it seems to me that Maher has the ability to bring back disenchanted voters into the fold. As '10 proved, libs won't vote for blue dogs. Maher has to make sure those people don't repeat the same mistake. It seems perfectly logical to try as best as he can to make sure these folks don't stop voting Obama in '12. Go to any HuffHo forum and you'll see how Obama's recent budget cuts for Pell grants have them questioning their support.
I've seen Huffington and the proposed budget cuts.

HOWEVER, Bill Maher is a COMEDIAN. I like his show, agree with a lot of stuff he says, but I don't need Bill Maher to "rebrand" Obama for me.....neither do other liberals. The far left will in fact vote for Obama if he is the candidate. They will NOT vote for a Republican, and, yes, they will show up for the Presidential election. What's important is to keep the extreme right wingers OUT OF OFFICE.

It's simply absurd to think that Maher "has to make sure" of anything regarding the coming elections! The man is a COMEDIAN. He knows that's his role and likes it. You know, Maher has said some pretty harsh things about Obama. Did you miss that? He's not happy with Obama's actions a lot of the time. Neither is his girlfriend, Ms. Huffington, happy with Obama's weaknesses.

You're "creating" a role here for Maher which is absurd. Maher says what he does on his show, apparently, because that's what he thinks. Seems to me that he spends time working on his show because that's how he earns a living, being funny and abrasive.

You know, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. You're going overboard in your analysis of a few words Maher said on his TV show, which usually has some shock value to it. Maher is being a comedian, not a political strategist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 09:27 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
That's what politicians do--they need to appeal to people that vote for them. Voters want to feel good about the people they vote for, and want to think they have common values.

There is a religious left demographic that he's appealing to. It's not just about placating the religious right.
I think if you're trying to call Mainline Protestants "the religious left" you'll need elastic arms to reach that far.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think Maher was wrong in what he said, because none of us knows what is in the hearts of others. We don't know what Maher believes, except for what he's told us he believes. And Maher doesn't know what Obama believes, except for what Obama has told us. When it comes to religious and spiritual convictions, I think we really have no recourse except to accept the descriptions and explanations people provide about themselves. If someone says they are an atheist, I think we really have no choice but to accept that on it's face, while recognizing that every person's beliefs in this regard are complex, sometimes contradictory, and really aren't suited to pigeonholes.

When Maher says Obama isn't a Christian, I think he's out of line. Obama says he is a Christian, therefore that he believes Jesus Christ was an aspect of God, and is his savior. I don't think Maher has any reason to think these things aren't true. Obama may be a humanist as well, and may prefer to act in the manner of a secular humanist, but that doesn't mean that Obama is not a Christian. Maher may define himself as a secular humanist, but we don't know what spiritual arguments and conclusions have led Maher to describe himself thusly. We can only accept his self-description is as true to himself as he can make it.
And Maher is a COMEDIAN. His show is meant to be funny and abrasive, with some shock value to it. Maher is earning a living on that show; he's not being a political strategist. Maher is basically famous for being abrasive, direct, and "shocking."

I think his comments were just typical Bill Maher. Judgemental for sure. And that's what he gets paid to do, plus he seems to enjoy it. I can't imagine why anyone would take what Bill Maher says as some sort of involved political strategy on his part in order to get Obama re-elected!

Indeed, we all make our own decisions about such things.....and "judge" for ourselves based on our observations of Obama.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
I've seen Huffington and the proposed budget cuts.

HOWEVER, Bill Maher is a COMEDIAN. I like his show, agree with a lot of stuff he says, but I don't need Bill Maher to "rebrand" Obama for me.....neither do other liberals. The far left will in fact vote for Obama if he is the candidate. They will NOT vote for a Republican, and, yes, they will show up for the Presidential election. What's important is to keep the extreme right wingers OUT OF OFFICE.

It's simply absurd to think that Maher "has to make sure" of anything regarding the coming elections! The man is a COMEDIAN. He knows that's his role and likes it. You know, Maher has said some pretty harsh things about Obama. Did you miss that? He's not happy with Obama's actions a lot of the time. Neither is his girlfriend, Ms. Huffington, happy with Obama's weaknesses.

You're "creating" a role here for Maher which is absurd. Maher says what he does on his show, apparently, because that's what he thinks. Seems to me that he spends time working on his show because that's how he earns a living, being funny and abrasive.

You know, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. You're going overboard in your analysis of a few words Maher said on his TV show, which usually has some shock value to it. Maher is being a comedian, not a political strategist!
Just saying it makes a lot of sense to use tricks to get others on board. Maher would like to see an Obama 2nd term, so it seems logical that he'd use Alinsky-like methods to do so. Notice how Maher doesn't have any evidence to support his assertions. He just says them. One would think an "intellectual" would do such a thing.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Just saying it makes a lot of sense to use tricks to get others on board. Maher would like to see an Obama 2nd term...
And the other side doesn't play tricks for similar ends? If they do, what exactly was the point of this thread?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
I believe he is pro-Muslim at the expense of America. I don't care what religion he proclaims to practice. I believe his actions are clear.
Of course you can believe he's pro-Muslim all you want. Your beliefs however do not make it true, regardless of how much you WANT it to be true. "Pro-Muslim at the expense of America".......that's pretty extreme and paranoid, you know, and clearly not true.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And the other side doesn't play tricks for similar ends?
^ this

Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
^ this
... considering that you're resorting to the same trickery you're accusing others of.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Just saying it makes a lot of sense to use tricks to get others on board. Maher would like to see an Obama 2nd term, so it seems logical that he'd use Alinsky-like methods to do so. Notice how Maher doesn't have any evidence to support his assertions. He just says them. One would think an "intellectual" would do such a thing.
Please! You're now trying to say that Bill Maher is a student of "Alinsky"! LMAO That crap is just tooooo funny!

You're saying that Bill Maher is spending time trying to be a political strategist via his show rather than just being an abrasive comedian, and that's just an absurd notion. WHY does a comedian who is known for being direct and abrasive need any "evidence" to say somewhat shocking things on his show to get a reaction! That's why people watch him.

Maybe Maher would like to see Obama re-elected......HOWEVER, Maher is not going to develop his show around political strategies to get Obama re-elected. Maybe Maher would like to see a different Democrat elected. We don't know for sure what he wants at this point.

Oh, no, you're not now suggesting that Bill Maher is an "intellectual" are you? Again LMAO. Do you really know who that guy is? He's a COMEDIAN. Geeeezzzz. Talk about trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill!

Old 02-14-2011, 10:31 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think if you're trying to call Mainline Protestants "the religious left" you'll need elastic arms to reach that far.
I'm referring to liberal Christianity. It exists among catholicism, luthranism, etc. The vast majority of catholics that I know of tend to vote democrat--they are more about social issues than moral issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies