Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but the liberals will never go for it...it takes their power and control away
Im afraid you are right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I could agree with that as long as the waste site was safe
Given the half-life of some of this stuff, I doubt there can be a truly safe disposal site. I don't want to change the topic of the thread but primary criteria for nuclear waste disposal sites includes, among others, the lack of people and water and geological stability and appropriate strata. This targets the southwestern U.S. where my family lives. Water here is like gold.

I think you will never get a populated State such as New York to take it's own nuclear waste. Most folks are like kids at Christmas when it comes to nuclear power. They like the toys but the paper, bows and boxes is for mom and dad to dispose of.

Okay back to your otherwise excellent list of solutions.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:15 PM

256 posts, read 216,483 times
For the record, I support the Fair Tax (even though it would hurt me financially). I haven't seen any good proposals put forth on how to make the transition though.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I would not allow anyone to vote unless they paid federal income tax.
So you would want to deny the vote to all housewives, college students and the elderly?
Casper

Old 02-17-2011, 05:25 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
The fair tax program would eliminate all deductions. If we had term limits I think we could keep it that way. without term limits politicians might break the fair tax system with deductions. I agree everyone who votes shoudl have a invested interest in the country
The fair tax program would eliminate all deductions. Only for a few years. Then we have all kinds of deductions again. The fair tax will look almost exactly like out current system in a matter of a few years. Book it.

The best way is to eliminate all federal taxes. Every single one of them .

Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So you would want to deny the vote to all housewives, college students and the elderly?
Casper
I'm just sayin if we only allowed people that paid federal income tax then we would stop getting all these "give aways" by Congress. And the country would be better off.

P.S. College students, housewives and elderly oftentimes pay federal income tax.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Casper
wow talk about confused

housewifes..are part of the household.. they pay or are part of the paying household that pays taxes

students...pay taxes...or at least have to (are supposed to) fill out a 1040 and maintain a copy of it

seniors..they certainly pay taxes..liberal made sure to classify SS as income..so seniors do pay (or in below the threshhold) at least fill out a 1040 and maintain

funny liberals make ss an income for tax purposes..but wont call welfare an income.....hmmm

Old 02-17-2011, 05:35 PM

256 posts, read 216,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
The fair tax program would eliminate all deductions. Only for a few years. Then we have all kinds of deductions again. The fair tax will look almost exactly like out current system in a matter of a few years. Book it.

The best way is to eliminate all federal taxes. Every single one of them .
I haven't seen a lot of deductions with our current sales tax system. What types of deductions would you foresee for a Fair Tax (a tax on consumption)?

Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
50% of the people do not pay taxes. They then have no investment in the country.
we have to rethink taxes and go to the fair tax. everyone is then invested in the country. everyone has more take home.We will have a bunch of tax lawyers needing work as well as IRS agents.

Close the borders. Aggressively use the present laws to go after those that employ illegals. Deport illegals. Then make a simple work visa program matching companies with those that want to work.

Term Limits

SS retirement age has to be moved to 70

Tort reform. Ability to buy health insurance across state lines.

keep kids on insurance until 26.

Civil unions.

Nuclear power plants must be built as we continue to drill for more of our own oil and develop wind

Stop all foreign aide we are broke why do we give our borrowed Chinese money to others

We no longer fight wars to win. As long as we are not trying to win bring our troops home.

Balance budget amendment

Cut all spending , all programs to 2006 levels for 5 years.

legalize and tax drugs

Legalize and tax prostitution

National concealed hand gun law

Close the UN and get it off our soil.
The whole premise of your solution started off wrong.

50% of the country doesn't pay income tax, but they do pay federal, state, and local taxes.

You know, like for gasoline?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:09 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Some of your ideas I like but to nuclear energy I would add that all waste has to be deposited within the State where it is created.
Not created, but used. It's not fair if a state like Delaware builds a plant and then exports 90% of the energy, but has to store all of the waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies