Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:41 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,349,598 times

Advertisements

I agree with some of your points, and disagree with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
50% of the people do not pay taxes. They then have no investment in the country.
Many may not pay a net tax, but they do pay taxes. They work -just don't make much. But there are millionaires who end up paying next to nothing (for the amount they take in and wisk out of the country)

Quote:
we have to rethink taxes and go to the fair tax.
The same percentage for everyone - with no deductions, not even for marriage or children, is fine with me.

But the same needs to be done on any business. No matter where they do business from or to.

Quote:
Close the borders. Aggressively use the present laws to go after those that employ illegals.
The borders can not be closed. That is a pipe dream here. But going after those who employ, from farm to factory to housekeepers and gardeners should have been the move made, it has, and will be political impossible (by both parties) as one group wants the show of compassion and the other wants to keep the middle class small and the unions out.

Quote:

Term Limits
No way. Increases the dominance of the lobbyists. (cheaper to buy fresh free agents, then established politicos)

Quote:
SS retirement age has to be moved to 70
The number of jobs disappearing (due to technology and shipping overseas) is growing by leaps and bounds. Not enough jobs for those under 50.

Quote:
Tort reform.
No - corporations win over citizens more then they lose.
Outspend or drag out. Making it harder is not a good thing for citizens.
Reduce the percentage of the lawyers take, not reduce ability to file.

Quote:
Ability to buy health insurance across state lines.
This hasn't worked well for the banking industry as you end up with just a few big companies.

Quote:
keep kids on insurance until 26.
They should be off before then. I'd go with 23.

Quote:
Civil unions.
By elimination of tax breaks for marriage (flat tax), marriage would no longer need to be a government issue, but a church issue. Legal contracts between two people, would be just that, a legal contract. Make civil unions for all legal unions and marriage for the church.

Quote:
Nuclear power plants must be built as we continue to drill for more of our own oil and develop wind
Yes on Nuclear and Wind. No on oil. No matter how much will drill, we will run out. Look to the future.

Quote:
Stop all foreign aide we are broke why do we give our borrowed Chinese money to others
While very little money is actually coming from the chinese, I agree with greatly reducing foriegn aid.

Quote:

We no longer fight wars to win. As long as we are not trying to win bring our troops home.

Quote:
Balance budget amendment
Cut all spending , all programs to 2006 levels for 5 years.
I'd favor stabilizing spending to 2006 levels the target in 5 years.

Quote:
legalize and tax drugs
Legalize and tax prostitution
don't care

Quote:
National concealed hand gun law
No.
Return hand gun laws to the community.

Quote:
Close the UN and get it off our soil.
That would do us more harm then good.......and although the headlines don't show it, there has been a decline in armed conflict since the end of the Cold War and the forming of the UN.

We have veto power to any security measures and we have been the #1 user of it since the 60's - so we still get our way, just not on all issues.

Japan is getting pretty close to funding as much as the US - not bad for a nation as small as Japan - and not even on of the 5 supposedly major powers (US, UK, Russia, China, France)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
That statement is simply false.

Anyone who purchases anything in America pays sales tax. Everyone who purchases most things also pay a hidden excise tax. Renters pay the property taxes of the property owners. And no doubt a large part of that '50%' figure of yours is children. They can't be expected to pay taxes.
The bolded is not correct. There are five states that have no sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon

Old 02-18-2011, 12:46 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,349,598 times
Quote:
The Income Tax System is Broken

43 Percent Of Americans Pay No Federal Income Tax,

The Income Tax System is Broken - CBS News

Even that is not saying they don't pay taxes, most who work do (we will exclude the disabled and elderly which is about half of that number) , they just get more deductions. Just like the richest 2%, except they start out with less!!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Since property taxes are local and state taxes, can your flat tax system eliminate those taxes?
I have no idea what it would do in your state. If you'd like to change your states tax system, petition your state legislature. It doesn't matter to me what any other state is doing, other than my own. I have no state income tax, I'm happy with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Memphis, there is a Fair Tax proposal that would eliminate your (and my) main concern about a sales tax hitting the bottom income earners.

Basically it works by identifying what the bottom earner level would be (I have heard 40K for a family of 4) and then the government issues a prebate check to each household in an amount equal to the income level (40K) times the tax rate.

so if the national sales tax rate was 20%, the calculation would be 40K * 20% and each household (based on household of 4) would recieve a check in the amount of $8,000 at the beginning of the year to offset the sales tax they pay.

anyone making less than 40K would in effect be given a "pay raise" sort of.

this eliminates the unfairness of a national sales tax and takes the hit away from poor people.
Just seems like thats just overly complicated. Undoubtedly some things wouldn't get taxed, others would. I'm for simplification of the tax code.

This does seem better than other fair tax systems I've seen and read about, but I'm still thinking that a flat tax on all income above the level of 30,000 (40,000 is fine too) would be best. No national sales tax period. We already have the system in place for an income tax, use it, but simplify it and cut back on it. We'd have to convert the entire IRS over to a sales tax system that would take a decade to hammer out the details on.

If you make 32,000 a year, 30,000 dollars of your income isn't taxed, not one red cent. On that 2K that you made over, you'd have to pay 700 dollars of it.

But if you make 300,000 dollars, then you're going to pay 94,500 dollars in taxes. Thats still the same percentage, but of 270,000 dollars. We could also do that system and drastically lower the corporate tax rate, while closing loopholes.

I just get worried when tax systems get complicated, and a fair tax would be complicated out of the gate. And whose to say 5 years later under a Republican controlled administration that the 8,000 prebate wouldn't be cut back on?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:03 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,644 times
Quote:
50% of the people do not pay taxes. They then have no investment in the country.
we have to rethink taxes and go to the fair tax. everyone is then invested in the country. everyone has more take home.We will have a bunch of tax lawyers needing work as well as IRS agents.

Close the borders. Aggressively use the present laws to go after those that employ illegals. Deport illegals. Then make a simple work visa program matching companies with those that want to work.

Term Limits

SS retirement age has to be moved to 70

Tort reform. Ability to buy health insurance across state lines.

keep kids on insurance until 26.

Civil unions.

Nuclear power plants must be built as we continue to drill for more of our own oil and develop wind

Stop all foreign aide we are broke why do we give our borrowed Chinese money to others

We no longer fight wars to win. As long as we are not trying to win bring our troops home.

Balance budget amendment

Cut all spending , all programs to 2006 levels for 5 years.

legalize and tax drugs

Legalize and tax prostitution

National concealed hand gun law

Close the UN and get it off our soil.
I agree with everything but on the taxes... If your going to tax and you want it to be FAIR. Remove all current federal TAXES, that includes the income tax. The simple way to make sure you pay a tax is to tax what you buy. If your in America your going to have to buy something! Food and clothing and housing are exempt everything else is a tax. 3% federal sales tax and that is it. Its put into the constitution and stated never to be increased and replaces the 16th amendment.
States can do what they want on the taxes as they always have, property etc, school taxes etc. ALl programs reduced to 2000 levels would be a better start.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:07 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I agree with everything but on the taxes... If your going to tax and you want it to be FAIR. Remove all current federal TAXES, that includes the income tax. The simple way to make sure you pay a tax is to tax what you buy. If your in America your going to have to buy something! Food and clothing and housing are exempt everything else is a tax. 3% federal sales tax and that is it. Its put into the constitution and stated never to be increased and replaces the 16th amendment.
States can do what they want on the taxes as they always have, property etc, school taxes etc. ALl programs reduced to 2000 levels would be a better start.
The fair tax removes all federal taxes as well and ss

Old 02-18-2011, 01:29 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Excellent post.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:37 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,644 times
Quote:
The fair tax removes all federal taxes as well and ss

Well you have a different view of a fair tax then I do..
Like I said it should be a federal 3% SALES tax.. in some ways you could leave the SS tax in place on those working to start but phase it out overtime and give the option to opt out of SS.
That is fair!!! Fair is when Everyone is buying items and in many ways probably the only fair tax system. When someone buys a 1,000,000 car and or a 1,000 car they pay 3% end of story!
Government gets funding and does its basic functions and they can argue what that is but in the end taxes would not be tied to our incomes. Our spending habits in place with a balanced budget would keep government and our economic habits in check.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:04 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,889,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I'm just sayin if we only allowed people that paid federal income tax then we would stop getting all these "give aways" by Congress. And the country would be better off.

P.S. College students, housewives and elderly oftentimes pay federal income tax.
Good afternoon,

Replying to bold/underlined:

Not necessarily. I'm against giveaways for people who don't pay taxes, including those refundable tax credits, but we give tons of giveaways to businesses/business owners in the form of deductions, loopholes and tax credits. If business owners are still able to vote, they'd vote even more goodies for themselves since all parties have to pander to them instead of "spreading the pandering around" like it is now.

We have to be fair and eliminate the gravy train giveaways for everyone.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:11 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,889,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Not created, but used. It's not fair if a state like Delaware builds a plant and then exports 90% of the energy, but has to store all of the waste.
Good afternoon,

This already happens with the oil business. States like Louisiana export most of their oil to the rest of the nation, and take most of the brunt of the pollution. It's a simple risk/reward proposal. If a state isn't doing well financially or wants to provide more services, they should take the same approach with nuclear facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies