Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:29 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
That is what the fair tax does
Oh Ok then. Sounds good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
The fair tax program would eliminate all deductions. If we had term limits I think we could keep it that way. without term limits politicians might break the fair tax system with deductions. I agree everyone who votes shoudl have a invested interest in the country
Term limits haven't worked so well in CO. People just keep running for different offices when their terms expire. Some of the federal pols have pledged to step down after a certain number of terms, then reneged.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The whole premise of your solution started off wrong.
50% of the country doesn't pay income tax, but they do pay federal, state, and local taxes.
You know, like for gasoline?
Actually his premise is solid.
I think it is understood by every one (or most everyone) that we are speaking of income tax. Of course people pay tax on gasoline at the pump. lol.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Actually his premise is solid.
I think it is understood by every one (or most everyone) that we are speaking of income tax. Of course people pay tax on gasoline at the pump. lol.
He said...

"50% of the people do not pay taxes. They then have no investment in the country."

That implies that they pay 0 taxes. Gasoline tax, and several others all have investment factors in the country.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 PM

256 posts, read 216,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He said...

"50% of the people do not pay taxes. They then have no investment in the country."

That implies that they pay 0 taxes. Gasoline tax, and several others all have investment factors in the country.
Quite right. I know that some truckers pay a whole lot more in fees and other taxes of various kinds (including gas tax) than they pay in income taxes. If a trucker pays no income tax (for whatever reason), does that mean he has "no investment in the country"?

Old 02-17-2011, 07:10 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I'm just sayin if we only allowed people that paid federal income tax then we would stop getting all these "give aways" by Congress. And the country would be better off.

P.S. College students, housewives and elderly oftentimes pay federal income tax.
I have doubts about your first statement, you assume voting would somehow change, I am not sure thatis accurate. With the second statement I disagre, most of them do not pay into the system through a payrole tax since they are not employed in the typical sense. Housewives might file as because they are married and getting the benefits due to that through taxes but they are not actually paying into the system. Everyone pays sales taxes, depending on what they make so that does not come into play, the assumption is we are talking about those paying in through income taxes.
Casper

Old 02-17-2011, 07:11 PM

371 posts, read 393,575 times
Most are pretty solid.

But I, like others, feel if you haven't paid in at least net $20 in income tax you shouldn't be allowed to vote. If you are not paying for dinner you don't get to say what is being ordered.

But, since 50% of black and 52% of hispanics don't pay federal income tax this would quickly become a race issue. Suddenly these two groups wouldn't be represented and the democratic party would cease to exist. The nice part is it would also break the republicans, since they would feel less party loyalty due to the lack of an opposing party.

As far as storing nuke waste, I doubt you be for stopping intrastate commerce of water and power while living in the Southwest, so you might have to decide if you can go without those as well.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,306,984 times
Quote:
50% of the people do not pay taxes. They then have no investment in the country.
we have to rethink taxes and go to the fair tax. everyone is then invested in the country. everyone has more take home.We will have a bunch of tax lawyers needing work as well as IRS agents.

Close the borders. Aggressively use the present laws to go after those that employ illegals. Deport illegals. Then make a simple work visa program matching companies with those that want to work.

Term Limits

SS retirement age has to be moved to 70

Tort reform. Ability to buy health insurance across state lines.

keep kids on insurance until 26.

Civil unions.

Nuclear power plants must be built as we continue to drill for more of our own oil and develop wind

Stop all foreign aide we are broke why do we give our borrowed Chinese money to others

We no longer fight wars to win. As long as we are not trying to win bring our troops home.

Balance budget amendment

Cut all spending , all programs to 2006 levels for 5 years.

legalize and tax drugs

Legalize and tax prostitution

National concealed hand gun law

Close the UN and get it off our soil.

So you are running President in 2012? A lot of what you see makes a tremendous amount of sense. However there are going to people who aren't going to agree with all your points. There are going to be those who object civil unions. Some people aren't going to agree with the legalization of drugs. Others are going to have issues with a national concealed handgun law.

Welcome the world of politics where NOBODY is going to agree all your stances. You are also going to have to find like minded allies in Congress to make your position become a reality. or it's all for naught.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 02-17-2011 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,680,678 times
Yes, I'm sure all those things the OP listed could be accomplished in short order if it weren't for the fact that things didn't just "get this way" because no one was running the store. When these overly simplified views are expressed one can assume that the OP has very little understanding of the US power structure, some see it as it is ostensibly laid out in school, a democracy of the people, wherein the will of the people is held higher than the will of the powerful, democracy in action can solve the nations woes, and so on. The horrible truth of our failure as a supposed free people to reign in the Wall Street crowd isn't as much an indictment of us as it is an indictment of the capital class that has ruled this nation from the start, it's too bad that our true history is buried in all that hype of the "founding fathers", the deck was stacked right from the start.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:38 PM

371 posts, read 393,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Yes, I'm sure all those things the OP listed could be accomplished in short order if it weren't for the fact that things didn't just "get this way" because no one was running the store. When these overly simplified views are expressed one can assume that the OP has very little understanding of the US power structure, some see it as it is ostensibly laid out in school, a democracy of the people, wherein the will of the people is held higher than the will of the powerful, democracy in action can solve the nations woes, and so on. The horrible truth of our failure as a supposed free people to reign in the Wall Street crowd isn't as much an indictment of us as it is an indictment of the capital class that has ruled this nation from the start, it's too bad that our true history is buried in all that hype of the "founding fathers", the deck was stacked right from the start.

Actually these things can easily be done if "the will of the people" was authorized.

A national vote where citizens could have a say on numerous issues (like a multiple choice test) and we would have the results. Problem is it removes power from congress and eliminates negotiation. You end up with results and rapid progress, and it doesn't abide by any party lines.

The biggest issue is it gives the voters to much power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies