Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your view of unions?
I approve of all of them, public and private. 106 43.80%
I approve of public sector unions only. 4 1.65%
I approve of private sector unions only. 49 20.25%
I do not approve of any unions. 71 29.34%
Other, please explain. 12 4.96%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If you want to join a union, do so. I personally do not believe in doing so. If I want someone to put their hand in my pocket (take my money) and not give me anything in return, I already have the government to do that.

Why should I pay dues to the union president for not doing any work? So he can get himself a Lexus? So he could send his kids to college? I see no benefit from unions.
Learn this at a republican caucus??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
WRONG!

Article 23 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (which the US SIGNED) identifies the ability to organize trade unions as a fundamental human right.

The National Labor Relations Act covers workers RIGHT to collective bargaining.

Get educated lady. It sounds like the reason you have such a low opinion of teachers is because you skipped school so much. You know something? It shows.

Ken
Are you aware andrea that communist russia allows its workers to strike? you actually advocate that america have fewer rights that n they?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Then they should quit.
And do what? Work at the 7-11? Maybe they want to teach, but want a 30 min. lunch break away from the students, want compensation for work done after hours, etc. You guys are too quick with the simple solutions.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Please don't come on here and spout off about things that happened 60+ years ago. It has already been covered and I will only once more ask the question: What purpose do unions serve today now that laws are in place to protect workers? Nobody seems to be able to answer this question, and I'm pretty sure I know why.
Its been 60 years since Pearl Harbor also.Lets do away with the armed forces.. same analogy

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Blah, we do not need to go over pay YET AGAIN, nor do I need to explain how those sites are simply aggregators that may or may not be based on actual statistics.

After I got my bachelor's, the STATE job I applied for (Child Protective Investigator) started at $27k plus bennies. That is pretty average pay for someone without a degree in something like engineering or biology.

sounds like your negotiating skills were at best..........poor.
You should rethink that union stance of yours

Old 02-28-2011, 10:54 PM

592 posts, read 414,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Its called divide and conquer........Republicans are backed by large corporartions.Large corporations hate unions because they prevent them from taking advantage of them with poor wages,unsafe working conditions,no overtime pay,Etc.Without a closed shop they have a work force NOT in the union whom they can replace the union employees with and eventually... no union
The opposite is also true. The unions take advantage of the government's ability to raise taxes to get more of everything and so far there's been no one to oppose them. Really this is the first time the government has seriously opposed the unions, and you can see the reaction for yourselves - massive protests, conspiracy theories, etc. And it took a financial crisis to show us who has the real power, who's really in charge, who's running the state - the unions. Yeah, they can demonstrate, take off work, occupy the legislative buildings. You gotta respect that. But was there ever a time when collective bargaining actually took place? I doubt it. Not if the collective always wins - which, I guess from the collective's point of view, is always right.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, b/c everyone learns about collective bargaining in college. My fault.

Again, there is no right to collective bargaining. It was a privilege given to us and it can be taken right back since it's being so horribly abused.

I have nothing else to say to you since all you want to do is be insulting.

READ......Freedom of association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And do what? Work at the 7-11? Maybe they want to teach, but want a 30 min. lunch break away from the students, want compensation for work done after hours, etc. You guys are too quick with the simple solutions.
Then don't quit.

Look. The state needs teachers. There won't be fewer teachers. There might even be more teachers. There might even be competition for a change. It's a pretty easy job if you ask me.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
The opposite is also true. The unions take advantage of the government's ability to raise taxes to get more of everything and so far there's been no one to oppose them. Really this is the first time the government has seriously opposed the unions, and you can see the reaction for yourselves - massive protests, conspiracy theories, etc. And it took a financial crisis to show us who has the real power, who's really in charge, who's running the state - the unions. Yeah, they can demonstrate, take off work, occupy the legislative buildings. You gotta respect that. But was there ever a time when collective bargaining actually took place? I doubt it. Not if the collective always wins - which, I guess from the collective's point of view, is always right.

I saw collective bargaining for 37 years on the railroads..........They are now more financially sound then when I started

Old 02-28-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I saw collective bargaining for 37 years on the railroads..........They are now more financially sound then when I started
Good. I'm not against collective bargaining, as long as it's real, and the company is making a profit off your labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies