Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Such a bad example. Harvard educated, millions of dollars in the bank, engaged to the baby's father, Oscar winner, no run-ins with the law, no evidence of substance abuse - all at the age of 30. Dreadful example. Woe to the young fans who might follow in her footsteps.
And in high school Portman was also a semi-finalist in the Intel Science Talent Search. The horror! Such a disgusting role model for young girls out there!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
According to Huckleberry, Portman (who is engaged to the father and is a very well-off self supporting accomplished professional) being pregnant is a terrible moral offense.

I missed his outrage over Bristol Palin's little HS pregnancy episode.

What's up, Huck?
Can you show me where he said "terrible moral offense"? I didn't see that.

What I did see was someone saying that the glorification of having children when you're unwed AND poor isn't helped by Portman making a point of being unwed without the additional information of being a millionaire..

Old 03-05-2011, 08:57 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,549,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
And in high school Portman was also a semi-finalist in the Intel Science Talent Search. The horror! Such a disgusting role model for young girls out there!!!

And what's that suppose to mean?? What doe one have to do with the other?? There are a lot of very smart young females who derail their dreams by getting pregnant!!

So much for the wasted potential!!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,549,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Please back up your assertion with anything that Portman has mentioned about her condition being ideal.
Quote:

Mom-to-be - and bride-to-be! - Natalie Portman says she is "indescribably happy" about the engagement and pregnancy news that was announced just this morning.
“I have always kept my private life private but I will say that I am indescribably happy and feel very grateful to have this experience," the 29-year-old Black Swan star tells EW.com.
The baby on the way will be the first for Natalie and her fiance, choreographer Benjamin Millepied.
Photos: Flynet

Natalie Portman: "I'm Indescribably Happy" | Celebrity Baby Scoop

http://celebritybabyscoop.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/main_pic/pictures/FNP_BFO_0052494.jpg (broken link)
Is this okay for you???

Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 AM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Mike Huckabee slams Portman for pregnancy - Entertainment - Celebrities - TODAYshow.com

"Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and never have health care," he said. "And that's the story that we're not seeing."

"People see a Natalie Portman who boasts, 'we're not married but we're having these children and they're doing just fine," Huckabee told radio host Michael Medved on his show Monday. "I think it gives a distorted image. It's unfortunate that we glorify and glamorize the idea of out-of- wedlock children."

It is what it is.

Anyone else not voting for this guy besides me? If he happens to run, that is.
You mean - Natalie Portman did a Bristol Palin? For shame...

Old 03-05-2011, 09:16 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

What I did see was someone saying that the glorification of having children when you're unwed AND poor isn't helped by Portman making a point of being unwed without the additional information of being a millionaire..
She's not "making a point". She's not "unwed" she's betrothed. She's not "glorifying" anything, she's simply living the life of her choosing the way wants to and she is still free to do that in the free country she lives in, and she has every right to be thrilled about becoming a family.

It is not her job to not have a baby or not get pregnant with her fiance just because there may (and I stress may) be other women who think it's a cool thing to do because an actress does it.

If these extremely suggestive persons do get pregnant because Natalie Portman did then they have more problems than a successful actress can or can't prevent. It's not her fault people are so shallow that they'll make a life altering decision because they saw somebody else do it.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:53 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
And what's that suppose to mean?? What doe one have to do with the other?? There are a lot of very smart young females who derail their dreams by getting pregnant!!
Then it's a good thing that Natalie Portman is demonstrating the importance of waiting to have a baby until one has achieved one's dreams as a successful adult.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Is this okay for you???
If it's OK with Natalie, it's OK for me. You seem to have a problem with it.

BTW, she said nothing about her situation being "ideal" and a model for others, did she...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizencane2
flaunting the unwed mom thing as the ideal

Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
I heard what Mike Huckabee said and his follow up comments. I didn't think he said anything wrong. And I don't think you *have* to be married to have a child.

The way I read his comments was that "Hollywood", in a younger girl's mind, tends to glamourize pregnancy and motherhood for their starlets. Young, impressionable girls see this and actually feel envious (I know, I've got one at home!!). What the young girls fail to realize is how much money it takes and how much hard work it takes to be a single mom. What they don't see is that women like Natalie Portman are wealthy and have the means to handle single motherhood. In that way, I think that's what Huckabee was getting at.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Can you show me where I said he said that?

Quote:
I see...

You'd prefer that she had an abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies