Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 03:39 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,339,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
I was laughing more at the fact the previous commenter said Japan thinks about the future and plan things, when in fact it looks like the opposite in terms of where they placed those nuculear plants...
There is no good place for a nuclear power plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 03:59 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,782,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
It's high time people cut the crap with political correctness. People are afraid to admit that multiculturalism is a failure unless ALL of the people are one toward a SINGLE goal. With the politicians (of BOTH sides) in this country behaving as they have for decade after decade, we will never see that. They pit races, rich and poor, all AGAINST each other just to pad their pockets.

Black people have a higher crime rate, poverty rate, and most other bad statistics in this country because they have been fed A LOAD OF CRAP from the Democrat party, for the most part.

You need to teach a person to fish and not GIVE THEM FISH everyday to become dependent upon you for their survival.

I seriously feel badly for the black population in this country. Until they wake up and see what lies they have been fed by the Democrat party and the "progressives" over the last 40 years, they will never, ever climb out of the situation they are in now.

As for the Japanese people, they haven't been fed a load of crap because they haven't been subjected to the political whims of this country full of namby pambies for decades.

They have A SINGLE GOAL, and that is to survive, count on each other, and not rely on HANDOUTS from their government.
Exactly! That, and Japan as a nation has an honor code that they live by. This is the same nation that had not one, but two nuclear bombs dropped on them some 70 years ago. They rebuilt and became an economic superpower. How many nations could what they did in the same amount of time? One thing is for sure, they will rebuild, and be the better for it.....riots not included

Old 03-12-2011, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 919 times
Frank.. Nightflight has an agenda to push. Of course it has nothing to do with the topic.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
There is no good place for a nuclear power plant.
Certainly no good place in an earthquake prone area. During the 9.2 Alaskan quake in 1964 the nuclear reactor core cracked on Fort Wainwright, more than 300 miles away from the epicenter. It took 10 years to clean up that mess. Which is why there are no nuclear reactors in Alaska to this day.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 AM

208 posts, read 416,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
This thread is a great lesson in extreme political correctness.
This thread is a great lesson in wasted bandwidth.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Exactly! That, and Japan as a nation has an honor code that they live by. This is the same nation that had not one, but two nuclear bombs dropped on them some 70 years ago. They rebuilt and became an economic superpower. How many nations could what they did in the same amount of time? One thing is for sure, they will rebuild, and be the better for it.....riots not included
There are a lot of things to admire about the Japanese people and their culture, and their strong sense of honor is among those admirable traits. However, there are certain aspects of the Japanese culture that are as equally flawed as in any other culture. For example, the personal freedoms Americans enjoy (and most take for granted) is not something you are going to find in Japan.

I suppose it is a matter of what a society considers to be more important. The Japanese value honor very highly, while Americans value individual liberty very highly. I am not judging which is right or wrong, merely observing the differences in culture.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:48 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,956 times
Quote:
I seriously feel badly for the black population in this country. Until they wake up and see what lies they have been fed by the Democrat party and the "progressives" over the last 40 years, they will never, ever climb out of the situation they are in now.
i feel sorry for the good ones. meaning the ones who work and actually work when they're at work. the bad ones taint the good ones sadly

Quote:
As for the Japanese people, they haven't been fed a load of crap because they haven't been subjected to the political whims of this country full of namby pambies for decades.

They have A SINGLE GOAL, and that is to survive, count on each other, and not rely on HANDOUTS from their government.
i think in japan, if 2 people meet for the 1st time and one says to the other: 'what do you do?' and the other says 'i'm unemployed', the 1st will think 'man, you better have a great bleeping reason for that.'

Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I suppose it is a matter of what a society considers to be more important. The Japanese value honor very highly, while Americans value individual liberty very highly. I am not judging which is right or wrong, merely observing the differences in culture.
i think the japanese value prudence and sensibility and maintaining equilibrium. americans value fun and pleasure.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
i think the japanese value prudence and sensibility and maintaining equilibrium. americans value fun and pleasure.
As in "...the pursuit of happiness." It is just another aspect of the American culture.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:57 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
The whole point of this thread to compare the Japanese to Americans in the face of tragic natural disasters is really an apples and oranges argument.

Japan is still very much a cloistered society. They make every attempt to block "outsiders" from seeing anything less than a whitewashed, idealized Japan. For example, they will continue to lie (and risk the safety of their own citizens) about the severity of the issue with the damaged nuclear reactor until it is impossible to continue to save face.

The Japanese also have a MUCH higher suicide rate than the US....all of that "perfectionism" can be a heavy burden to bear for far too many. And Japanese women have the highest suicide rates of any other country in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_suicide_rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies