Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:44 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
I forgot to thank you for the information. I very seldom actually learn anything new on this forum and I like to stop and thank contributors when they point out a piece of the puzzle that was missing for me. I know there are many things our government does in order to protect us that I don't agree with and I know the sole responsibility does not always lie with Bush just like Clinton can't be blamed for everything either.

However, it seems like we are sliding down a slippery slope to a country I no longer recognize... A lot of that has happened under the Bush administration and I don't see the changes as being helpful.
No problem. I can't claim to know how often each of the previous administrations used such a tactic because I don't..... I don't want anyone to mistake me for a Pro-Bush guy by any means. I'd go as far to say as I'm not as ANTI-Bush as many are, but the guy's really got our butts in a pinch don't he???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 01:46 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I used to be a generous soul but I cannnot afford it any longer because of the wasted money spent on conservative boondoggles. If you do not like the way Congress spends your money run for a seat and change it.
That's like saying, "If you don't like how Bush is running the country then run for President and change it.". It isn't quite that easy.... You know that.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:18 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Sounds like your hometown friends are not really Democrats, but Dixiecrats. I'll just guess that you are in the Bible Belt. How often do you call in on the Mike Gallagher talk show?
If you are in Louisville, KY, then you are in the Bible Belt as well.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:22 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Sounds like your hometown friends are not really Democrats, but Dixiecrats. I'll just guess that you are in the Bible Belt. How often do you call in on the Mike Gallagher talk show?
Oh yeah Dixiecrats, like Gov. Wallace, the ones who opposed desegregation but stayed part of the Democrat party.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:30 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Quote "5. I think the word "married" should be removed from our legal system. All marriages should be referred to as civil unions, and any two people should be allowed to get one. Marriage, should be something left up to organized religion."
I think martial status should not be a factor for benefits and community property laws should not exist. Marriage is just a religious ceremony.

Quote:
I'm curious what you mean be "self gratification". How is working for a better environment, higher pay for poor people, health care for all people, work place safety for all people, better education for all people and the numerous other items listed above SELF gratification?
Gee these Conservatives do not care for the public good/welfare. They call the public good "self gratification." It seems they work on fear. Remember the Bible verse "Calling what is evil good and calling what is good evil?"

Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Without going through six pages of posts, I'll just add to what a few people have said: This is why I identify most closely with libertarianism. When modern liberals say America was founded on liberalism, they're only partially right -- it was founded on classical liberalism, which we today call libertarianism. The founding fathers would be aghast at today's liberalism, which champions oppressive taxation and government as savior, not to mention the social causes it supports.

That's not to say they'd recognize modern conservatism, either. They'd probably recognize Ron Paul as a kindred spirit, but the big-government, pro-war neocons who have taken over the GOP would be as anathema to them as any big-government liberal.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:37 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Default to missymomof3

Yes, I currently live in Louisville, KY...an unfortunate mistake I made 5 years ago. I lived most of my life in Chicago.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
Today’s liberalism is narcissistic whose only loyalty is to self gratification. You cannot define today’s liberal with yesterday’s values.
Very true! Good post.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,166 times
Quote:
I'm curious what you mean be "self gratification". How is working for a better environment, higher pay for poor people, health care for all people, work place safety for all people, better education for all people and the numerous other items listed above SELF gratification?
This is just a question , OK ...What's wrong with people working to get some of the things you talk about for themselfs. Why is there always a need for someone else to do it for them? I agree with health care and a safe work place but the others? And the environment is more than just an American problem....so that one you will never solve.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:18 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
texan,

I agree. We all know that these are the right things, I work towarda these things for myself and for my children and for the future and I don't see how handing money over to the government is going to get this fixed. As a matter of fact, I think that the government is the major problem for so many of our issues today. Name one thing (besides making red tape) that the government does better than the private sector? There isn't one. Health care costs began to rise in the 60's when the government got involved in the health care business.

Modern liberalism seems to think that the government is the saviour of all our problems when in fact it is the root of mostly all the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies