Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:48 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Shifting plates caused the earthquake... OK, what caused that? endless manipulation of the earth maybe... drilling, fracking, nuclear testing, mining, structural engineering, etc.

Why you don't think these activities can effect the earth and climate is puzzling.
why you would choose to believe it without so much as a shred of evidence is vastly more puzzling.

why don't you connect the dots between an earthquake-caused tsunami and manmade global warming for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM

866 posts, read 1,560,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
To answer your questions, I recently read a scientific notion that the melting glaciers release weight on the plates and cause them to shift. I'm not advocating it and have no idea if that's true or not, but that's what people mean when they link earthquakes and tsunamis to global warming.
Glaciers off the coast of Japan?What about the Indian Ocean tsunami? I know you didn't advocate it, but how did earthquakes happen before "global warming"? There are reports of powerful earthquakes long before it is alleged that global warming began.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Shifting plates caused the earthquake... OK, what caused that? endless manipulation of the earth maybe... drilling, fracking, nuclear testing, mining, structural engineering, etc.

Why you don't think these activities can effect the earth and climate is puzzling.

Hate to break the news to you but the earth's tectonic plates were shifting long before man was a factor on the face of the earth. That you do not recognize tectonic plate shift, magnetic pole shift (not a new phenom.) and that the continental drift have occured without any contribution by man is puzzling to me. Is public education really that poor these days?

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/co...tal_drift.aspx

Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 AM

446 posts, read 649,585 times
Look! It SNOWED! Guess global warming is a myth!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
Look! It SNOWED! Guess global warming is a myth!
Oh look, it was a warm month, guess AGW is true!! /boggle

Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Quote:

Whle I may not be a huge fan of fracking, it's adverse effect is prodominatly isolated to drinking water. Even US underground Nuclear testing was conducted at relativly shallow depths......

Here's a short read on the earths crust that may help understand how it works......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crust_(geology)

The continental crust is typically from 30 km (20 mi) to 50 km (30 mi) thick,

Underground nuclear testing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Oh look, it was a warm month, guess AGW is true!! /boggle
The Spring Equinox was named by man; thefore, the warming in the Spring must be man made.

<sarc.>

Old 03-21-2011, 11:26 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
You're not really still trying to discredit man made climate change a week after a massive tsunami trashed Japan are you?
You're joking? Ever studied that particular area of the world? You must know it has been and IS just waiting for earthquakes to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What does an earthquake caused by shifting plates and the resulting tsunami have to do with imaginary man-made GW/climate change? Are you going to suggest that man caused the magnetic pole to shift and the North American plate to move? Really?
I thought he was joking. They actually believe an earthquake (one in a long, long line of catastrophic earthquakes, BEFORE man was even around) can be caused by man. Simply amazing.

Quote:

He wasn't kidding.

I just have to ask; How do you explain earthquakes/tsunamis that have happened in the past, before man, before the last 150 years (cause that's the warmist's relevant years), in this same area, the Ring of Fire?

About.com: http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Glossary/PlateTectonics/Maps/map_plate_tectonics_world.html

It is absolutely stunning, beyond words, that some would blame the hoax THEORY of AGW for what happened in Japan.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Hate to break the news to you but the earth's tectonic plates were shifting long before man was a factor on the face of the earth. That you do not recognize tectonic plate shift, magnetic pole shift (not a new phenom.) and that the continental drift have occured without any contribution by man is puzzling to me. Is public education really that poor these days?

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/co...tal_drift.aspx
Clearly, yes.

And it isn't just that the public schools aren't teaching what they should be. I'm sure you'd agree that in many - probably most - cases where these kids post this kind of nonsense, the public schools have played a key role in forming their sadly flawed thought process.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:40 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
So I've had colder then normal local weather for two years? and if the al Gore's of the world look somewhere else where it was little warm last year, then that is proof of global, not local, but global, warming?

I say its all just weather.

Since last century we started climbing out of the Little Ice-age, I'd say we should expect to continue to warm out of it. Who knows, maybe we will enter back into the Medieval Warming Period again, before we are done.
it hasnt actually been colder than normal. It just seems that way because NASA has not made their "adjustment" to the data...

when they do make the adjustment it will have felt a lot warmer than normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies