Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 12:55 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Abstinence....birth control...whatever. Split hairs as much as you want. Having sex comes with consequences. If you can't pay the consequences, you should take whatever precautions are necessary to avoid those consequences. I'm tired of the Liberal Left making excuses for those who simply will not take a moment and think about their actions. Instead, you'd rather abortion be the answer AFTER the fact. ZERO Personal Responsibility. It's despicable, and you know it.
So you'd rather subject a child - through no fault of its own - into abject poverty with a potentially abusive, neglectful parent just because YOU don't believe in abortion?

If so, that's really selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 12:56 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I don't know how old you are or where you are in life in terms of having a job, home, etc., but if you think a 15-year-old or a drug addict is just as "capable" as you of taking care of a baby, I don't know what to tell you.
That's exactly your problem. You're a reactionary. You believe that after-the-fact personal responsibility is a proper substitute for proactive personal responsibility. You'd rather make excuses for the 15 year old drug addict then try to actually press upon people the importance of morals and principles from the early stages of life. I believe you termed this as "forcing" people to act responsibly. I find your ideology to be despicable.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Another post glorifying bad choices and the ability to use abortion as the remedy. How surprising. I would expect nothing less from the Liberal Left.
Another response from someone who would rather badmouth my political leanings rather than discuss real life solutions.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:00 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
If you're capable, and I'm capable, then everyone else is capable. Reality sucks, but I don't buy into the notion that these people are not "capable." Unlike you, I do not accept the ideology that we must turn a blind eye and throw money at those who simply will not act responsibly.
Going with your line of thinking......we shouldn't need policemen and prisons either.

After all, we only have to ask people to be good......then everything will work out perfectly.

If you're capable of following the laws, and I'm capable of following the laws, then everyone else is capable of following the laws......right?

I wonder why that hasn't worked?

Old 04-22-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
That's exactly your problem. You're a reactionary. You believe that after-the-fact personal responsibility is a proper substitute for proactive personal responsibility. You'd rather make excuses for the 15 year old drug addict then try to actually press upon people the importance of morals and principles from the early stages of life.
Hey there, if you have a way to "press upon the importance of morals and principals" onto teenagers that's 100% effective, I'm all ears.

I think what you're not getting is that what you want is IMPOSSIBLE. It's impossible to ensure that every teenager abstains.

I know what you're going to say, that I'm "defeatist" and that I'm giving up too easily. Fine. Then I want to know your plan. What is your plan for making every single teenager and drug addict abstain? Please tell me, concretely, the steps you would take to impress your morals onto millions of teenagers with 100% effectiveness.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:06 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Abstinence....birth control...whatever. Split hairs as much as you want. Having sex comes with consequences. If you can't pay the consequences, you should take whatever precautions are necessary to avoid those consequences. I'm tired of the Liberal Left making excuses for those who simply will not take a moment and think about their actions. Instead, you'd rather abortion be the answer AFTER the fact. ZERO Personal Responsibility. It's despicable, and you know it.
I know no such thing.

Abortion is a responsible solution to an unplanned pregnancy......NOTHING despicable about it.

Having an abortion when you do not want or cannot afford a child, IS TAKING RESPONSIBILITY.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Going with your line of thinking......we shouldn't need policemen and prisons either.

After all, we only have to ask people to be good......then everything will work out perfectly.

If you're capable of following the laws, and I'm capable of following the laws, then everyone else is capable of following the laws......right?

I wonder why that hasn't worked?
You mistake my intent. I am not blind to reality. I fully understand what's going on in the world. But I also understand that this nation has lost its moral compass. Instead of a proper upbringing, a large portion of our children are subjected to a revolving door of bad examples. That DOES NOT make it right, or acceptable, to mimic those examples. What's so hard about not having sex...or using protection when you do have sex? What's so hard about thinking about what "could" happen if you were to get pregnant? NOTHING Is hard about that. But yet society gives the green light to go and do as you please, and people do it, simply because they know in the back of their minds they have the "abortion cushion" to take care of their irresponsiblity. This type of mentality is a blot on society, and i'm tired of Liberals making excuses for this conduct.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I know no such thing.

Abortion is a responsible solution to an unplanned pregnancy......NOTHING despicable about it.

Having an abortion when you do not want or cannot afford a child, IS TAKING RESPONSIBILITY.
I can't believe that anyone could say with a straight face that abortion is being personally responsible. Being personally responsible is taking precautions before the fact, not after. Unbelieveable.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Hey there, if you have a way to "press upon the importance of morals and principals" onto teenagers that's 100% effective, I'm all ears.

I think what you're not getting is that what you want is IMPOSSIBLE. It's impossible to ensure that every teenager abstains.

I know what you're going to say, that I'm "defeatist" and that I'm giving up too easily. Fine. Then I want to know your plan. What is your plan for making every single teenager and drug addict abstain? Please tell me, concretely, the steps you would take to impress your morals onto millions of teenagers with 100% effectiveness.
You, too, mistake my intent. I fully understand that the train has already left the station. I am not disputing the reality on the ground. But as I menitoned above, this nation has lost its moral compass, and I fully believe that government is the reason. When money and programs are consistently thrown at personal irresponsibility, do you actually think that such rewards are doing anything to curb the behavior? Absolutely not. What this nation needs is a massive social correction. When money and resources are pulled away, people will do one of two things: 1) Suffer the consequences of their actions, or 2) act responsibly.

And for the record, my viewpoint is not exclusive to teens. I don't care if you're 15 or 80, if you don't meet my personal standard for personal responsibility, you should be held responsible for your actions.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
You mistake my intent. I am not blind to reality. I fully understand what's going on in the world. But I also understand that this nation has lost its moral compass. Instead of a proper upbringing, a large portion of our children are subjected to a revolving door of bad examples. That DOES NOT make it right, or acceptable, to mimic those examples. What's so hard about not having sex...or using protection when you do have sex? What's so hard about thinking about what "could" happen if you were to get pregnant? NOTHING Is hard about that. But yet society gives the green light to go and do as you please, and people do it, simply because they know in the back of their minds they have the "abortion cushion" to take care of their irresponsiblity. This type of mentality is a blot on society, and i'm tired of Liberals making excuses for this conduct.
*I* can't believe that you think the majority of women are careless about getting pregnant *BECAUSE* abortion is legal. Like, it literally blows my mind that you truly believe that.

I think what you're missing is that these women would get pregnant REGARDLESS of whether abortion was an option. The only difference is they would be forced to have a baby they're not ready to take care of vs. having a baby when they're ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies