Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:22 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

So the larger question remains....why does someone need the government to provide family planning services? Are people incapable of understanding what it means to start a family and all thats involved? Is American society at such a low-point that Big Government has to tell you when you should procreate...and even worse provide options for abortion?
You assail PP and those who use their services, then complain that people are "incapable" of understanding?

Well, if that is the case, then PP helps alleviate the ignorance. Apparently, you'd prefer people remain ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 03:35 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittzStar View Post
Lawrence is one commentor who actually knows how government works. Great job Lawrence.
It does show the differences between the Character of some people. Lawrence tears up about the problems the woman shows that millions of American people have to face. And then we have Boehner, who tears up about how high an office HE has risen to. Yep, shows a diffence in Character. I concur, great job Lawrence.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:40 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You assail PP and those who use their services, then complain that people are "incapable" of understanding?

Well, if that is the case, then PP helps alleviate the ignorance. Apparently, you'd prefer people remain ignorant.
Why are people so ignorant? Family planning is not rocket science. Either you can or you cannot afford to raise and provide for children. If you can, then you do so at a pace commensurate with your financial and mental capability. If you can't then you wait until you can afford it or you deem yourself incapable of mental challenges associated with bringing children into this world.

It's not rocket science, but apparently its not within the realm of understanding of the Liberal Establishment either. Which is why you folks see no problem whatsoever with tax dollars being thrown at the personally irresponsible.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:45 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Why are people so ignorant? Family planning is not rocket science. Either you can or you cannot afford to raise and provide for children. If you can, then you do so at a pace commensurate with your financial and mental capability. If you can't then you wait until you can afford it or you deem yourself incapable of mental challenges associated with bringing children into this world.

It's not rocket science, but apparently its not within the realm of understanding of the Liberal Establishment either. Which is why you folks see no problem whatsoever with tax dollars being thrown at the personally irresponsible.
Tell the goons on the right to understand that. Republicans are the #1 recipients of welfare and government handouts.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
My facts are directly from the Family Planning Title X arm that funds PP.

As I said before, do you expect that those who use PP are actually the smart and financially fit folks in our society? Of course not. It's those who rely on the government to provide.
Yes, many are, actually. Your generalizations make you look foolish. I used planned parenthood services as a college student, and my own college-student daughter uses them for gyn and birth control, because her campus health plan does not cover well woman care.

I know many intelligent, educated women who have relied on PP for routine reproductive health care at various points in their lives.

And I would venture to say that the clients of PP are the ones who care MOST about being healthy and not getting pregnant. Personal responsibility and all that, right?

Old 04-09-2011, 03:58 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:

It may ease you troubled mind some, if you would actually look into what Title 10 does for people.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:21 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post

I don't think tax payers are attacking Planned Parenthood
for the reasons you think. I think you need to put it into
perspective. When Title X was enacted under Nixon,
the expenditures for medicaid was not as it is today.
Health care for the poor under Medicaid has increased by
over 80 percent since Nixon
In 2006, Medicaid contributed $1.3 billion to public family planning, for example. Not to mention sex education in
public schools.

Why should a private organization still get federal money when the federal government, itself, is providing same services. They shouldn't. Planned parenthood is not a
government agency, but you would not know that, by
the hold up drama on capital hill.

I'm pro choice by the way. Just not: pro take my tax
money to pay for a private organization

And planned parenthood, if really fighting for women
health care, should be marching for a single payer health
care system. Not trying to sustain Title X which is clearly
outdated.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:30 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes, many are, actually. Your generalizations make you look foolish. I used planned parenthood services as a college student, and my own college-student daughter uses them for gyn and birth control, because her campus health plan does not cover well woman care.

I know many intelligent, educated women who have relied on PP for routine reproductive health care at various points in their lives.

And I would venture to say that the clients of PP are the ones who care MOST about being healthy and not getting pregnant. Personal responsibility and all that, right?
Can I ask, what you paid for those services at Planned
Parenthood, instead of simply paying a private doctor. If you could not pay for these services, were you or daughter, on medicaid?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:59 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittzStar View Post
Lawrence is one commentor who actually knows how government works. Great job Lawrence.
Agree 100%

Old 04-09-2011, 05:18 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

As a college student? We all know the financial standing of 99% of college students. Further, your daughter uses it because its not "covered" under her insurance. Which makes my point completely. The financially fraught are not able to pay for it...which is where the government comes in and subsidizes it through PP. All of your points make my "generalizations" completely whole. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies