Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Its very much the poor paying NO income tax..

And since these are GROSS figures, those grossing more incomes, are often dba's..
45% of households owe no federal income tax for 2010 - Apr. 17, 2011
Umm. Your chart agrees with what I'm trying to say. That's about what I thought. But not all are poor. You said the bottom 48% pay no income tax. There are some people in the chart paying no income tax that are probably not poor.

Last edited by nei; 04-24-2011 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Umm. Your chart agrees with what I'm trying to say. That's about what I thought. But not all are poor. You said the bottom 48% pay no income tax. There some people in the chart paying no income tax that are probably not poor.
People earning $50K or even $30K are NOT poor...

Old 04-24-2011, 10:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
People earning $50K or even $30K are NOT poor...
But are they in the bottom 48%. I'm not sure what you're arguing anymore. My arguement was:

1) Not all the people in the bottom 48% pay no federal income taxes, for example the OP (and myself)
2) Some people who pay no federal income tax are not in the bottom 48%, as you showed with your chart.

Yes, most of the people who pay no federal income taxes are in the lower half of the income spectrum, though not necessarily poor.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
But are they in the bottom 48%. I'm not sure what you're arguing anymore. My arguement was:

1) Not all the people in the bottom 48% pay no federal income taxes, for example the OP (and myself)
But the thread isnt about the bottom 48%, its about those who are POOR.
Quote:
2) Some people who pay no federal income tax are not in the bottom 48%, as you showed with your chart.
That depends, are we talking gross or net.. I'm one of those in the top income range if we are discussing gross, but poverty if discussing net.. Just because I grossed tens of millions last year doesnt mean I'm "rich", since I had tens of millions of expenses. The chart is GROSS, and no one lives off of gross.
Quote:
Yes, most of the people who pay no federal income taxes are in the lower half of the income spectrum, though not necessarily poor.
Yes, some people who pay no federal income taxes are not poor, but again the thread is about those who are POOR.. and the POOR pay no income tax.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
But the thread isnt about the bottom 48%, its about those who are POOR.
well my responses have about your statement which was:

Quote:
You realize that the bottom 48% of the population pays no INCOME TAX?
about the bottom 48% not the entire thread. In any case this thread isn't about who are POOR. OP:

Quote:
I made 30,000 dollars last year and I paid in about 3,000 in taxes. I got NONE of it back. I thought the bottom fifty percent didn't have to pay taxes?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
well my responses have about your statement which was:

about the bottom 48% not the entire thread. In any case this thread isn't about who are POOR. OP:
By definition, if you gross $50,000,000 a year, and your cost to produce that $50,000,000 ia $50,000,000 you are poor because your NET income is $0, and in america we tax NET.. YOu can argue all you want that they arent "poor", but if you have no profits and no income for the year, I'll disagree with you..

Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
By definition, if you gross $50,000,000 a year, and your cost to produce that $50,000,000 ia $50,000,000 you are poor because your NET income is $0, and in america we tax NET.. YOu can argue all you want that they arent "poor", but if you have no profits and no income for the year, I'll disagree with you..
I never said anything about net or gross or that someone with a net income of $0 isn't poor, but you seem to changing the subject completely and it has nothing to do with my previous post.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:27 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
That is close to what I do...I do not consider myself poor.

Remember the write offs can come from other years and written off now in the form of depreciation.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I never said anything about net or gross or that someone with a net income of $0 isn't poor, but you seem to changing the subject completely and it has nothing to do with my previous post.
The chart posted was gross, and not only did I very clearly indicated this on my postings so I'm not changing the subject, but so did the story if you read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That is close to what I do...I do not consider myself poor.

Remember the write offs can come from other years and written off now in the form of depreciation.
Depreciations are not costs, in a manner of speaking they are credits being offered.. What I was speaking of is if an individual sells $50M worth of goods a year, but the costs of those goods were $50M, the NET profit = $0.. I'd support doing away with all depreciations and "credits" but the nation would be up in arms asking for their "entitlements" from the government.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:38 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
The chart posted was gross, and not only did I very clearly indicated this on my postings so I'm not changing the subject, but so did the story if you read it.

Depreciations are not costs, in a manner of speaking they are credits being offered.. What I was speaking of is if an individual sells $50M worth of goods a year, but the costs of those goods were $50M, the NET profit = $0.. I'd support doing away with all depreciations and "credits" but the nation would be up in arms asking for their "entitlements" from the government.
But, they are important to keep the economy moving.

I have bought many pieces of equipment I really did not "need" for the write offs.

This is good for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies