Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:31 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ooh please.. They arent trying to eliminate the middle class, they are trying to eliminate policies who create only a rich/poor society and to stop policies which are destrutive to the middle class, and penalize those who are successful due to hard work..
Don't take me for an idiot. I've been paying attention to things ever since Bush lied America into his stupid war in Iraq. The GOP is dissolving America's middle class just as quickly as they can possibly arrange it.

Quote:
oooh more rasicm accusations,
Nope...

Not accusations.

Observations. Recent observations.

Orange County GOP Sending Around Obama ‘Chimp Family’ Photo

Quote:
despite the GOP being the party who's elected far more minorities than any Democratic Party..
Prove it.

Quote:
You know, the party who welcomed former KKK members into their elected positions..
Strom Thurmond?

David Duke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 03:39 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I made 30,000 dollars last year and I paid in about 3,000 in taxes. I got NONE of it back. I thought the bottom fifty percent didn't have to pay taxes?

Many corporations pay ZERO due to loopholes, doesn't that make the rich the freeloaders?
First of all, that's not quite what they say. The poor really don't pay taxes (or very little). Whatever they pay is most likely given back and then some in the form transfers from various government programs (food stamps, subsidized housing, etc).

If you are single and making 30K, you are not poor, but probably are in the bottom 50%. People in the bottom 50% of income earners pay about 5% of the total income tax take (we're not talking Social Security/Medicare). You are paying less in taxes as a % of your total income than people who make more than you as well.

The best way to save on taxes is to put money in a 401K...or set up an Individual Retirement Account if you don't have a 401K at work.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
There are not a lot of deductions that a single person making $30,000 a year can use, especially not $7,100 worth.

Standard deduction of $7,100, Exemption of $3,650 leaving a taxable income of $19,250.

The first $8,375 is taxed at 10% or $837 in tax

The remaining amount is taxed at 15% or $1,632 in tax.

$2,469 in tax minus the $400 making work pay credit is $2,069.
Is the "making work pay" credit on the EZ form??? That could be the OPs problem. I know it's on the 1040 form. He should file and amended return (1040X) and Schedule M to get the 400 if it wasn't on the EZ form.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:56 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
As we recently learned from Republican Senator Kyl; unless a Republican tells you in advance that what he is saying is "Meant to be a factual statement" it doesn'[t count even if it is made on the floor of the Senate. Even then you have to see if their fingers are crossed

Old 04-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't see anything wrong with ppl with kids having to lift some of the tax burden off of everyone else. Common sense. Their families use up more of the governements' resources. Why shouldn't they pay more in taxes?
Be careful what you wish for. Those kids are going to be paying for your Social Security & Medicare when you're old (if they still exist). A lot of European countries have had such low birth rates for so long that they are not going to be able to support all the old people.

I don't have kids and never will but they are a net plus for our economy in the long run. I just wish more middle class and rich people would have 'em and fewer poor people had 'em.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:13 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Don't take me for an idiot.
I didnt say anyting about you being an idiot
Quote:
I've been paying attention to things ever since Bush lied America into his stupid war in Iraq.
Does nothing to support your claim that the GOP is trying to do away with the middle class.. Try to stay focused.
Quote:
The GOP is dissolving America's middle class just as quickly as they can possibly arrange it.
You claiming something doesnt make it true.. Why dont you try to prove it?
Quote:
Nope...

Not accusations.

Observations. Recent observations.

Orange County GOP Sending Around Obama ‘Chimp Family’ Photo
Your own link doesnt backup your claims..
Quote:
Prove it.
Right after you prove the GOP is trying to do away with the middle class.. I'm still waiting..
Quote:
Strom Thurmond?

David Duke?
Um.. David Duke was a Democrat first

Old 04-24-2011, 04:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The fact is that we (rich and not so rich) are already paying too much taxes. The problem at the moment is that Federal spending is so great that taxes (revenue) is not sufficient. Taxing the workers more will only give the Government a little more money to spend. For example, if the Government just takes for one year every penny the 1% superrich have, the total will amount to $billions. Since the budget deficit is over $trillions, a few billions are not going to make a difference.

Again, the problem is "spending."

Under this logic, presumably low-wage workers aren't paying enough taxes.

So how much should a full time burger flipper earning minimum wage pay in taxes?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would need more information.

Was $30,00 your bottom line??

How many dependents???

Was this federal tax alone??

What form did you use??

Where any credits or, schedules filed??
Sounds like taxable income was $30K, making a 10% marginal tax rate understandable. Had he had any dependents, he probably would have gotten money back. No credits, and schedules are inapplicable to taxable income.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:40 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Under this logic, presumably low-wage workers aren't paying enough taxes.

So how much should a full time burger flipper earning minimum wage pay in taxes?
What if everyone paid 10% of their income? Make $1200, pay $120. Make $12,000, pay $1200, make $120,000, pay $12,000. No deductions, no exemptions, no shelters.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I made 30,000 dollars last year and I paid in about 3,000 in taxes. I got NONE of it back. I thought the bottom fifty percent didn't have to pay taxes?

Many corporations pay ZERO due to loopholes, doesn't that make the rich the freeloaders?

Because they do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies