Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:33 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times

Advertisements

[quote=Miborn;18882254]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
After reading some of these post ....whew! some folks are pretty high and mighty on themselves. People who are in the situations that they are in are there not just because of the "handouts from social programs" but from the lack of knowledge on how to manage their money properly. There other factors that also lead up to that also, such as inadequate education (both from the school system and from home), racism (most whites have had a 200 year head start on the accumulation of wealth) also some projects were designed to keep certain people contained during the riots and segregated from whites before that. As far as the "if they don't get welfare their morals will change" crowd, who in the hell are you trying make believe that crap? Let me try to understand this, if I take away some of your benefits your morals will change? Sooo, if I took away some of the cooperate tax loopholes and some of the other benefits that the rich have, they will stop being so greedy and give back alot of the money that they stole? REALLY?
Yes the Corporations do give to OBAMA campaign so now he is repaying them with not having to pay taxes. GE, Chase, and others......

I'm talking about an issue that has been here way before President Obama was even born. Basically meaning what in the heck does he have to do with this conversation?

Did many of you know that the welfare system ENCOURAGED men not to live with their families?
Yes so they can collect but they also have to lie and say they dont kn ow who the father is so they dont go after the father.
There are some people there because of medical, addiction, and mental health reasons also.
This is not the same thing as being capable and able to work and choosing not to and get assistance. Popping out babies so they can get more money so they dont have to work.

Apparently you were not aware of the origins of welfare which is part of the probelm. I guess that you did not know the black women were not eligible for welfare years after it's conception. Unfortunately I do agree with you on this point to some degree. Some of these young women lack of proper sex education, lack of a viable free clinic, no guidance or no help, end up on welfare and soon cant get out of a bad situation when the programs of the past have been replaced by government subsidies to the rich.

It is really easy to point a finger at the downtrodden based on the top graphical perception and not see what the underlying causes that brought it about in the first place.
If it were there to help as was the premise that started it that would be fine BUT it is not there to help it is there to be a lifestyle.
Don't you think that someone is making a profit from this? Not just the "guy down the street who opened a store and he is from some other country", I'm talking about the banks that every EBT cardholder in this country pays just so that they can get their food stamps. Lets not forget the Check Cashing place down the street because it is hard to have a bank account if you cannot keep anything in it. And "WOW" you cannot forget about public transportation because those who do work have to damn near go to another County to get to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 05:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Here is an idea. Instead of handing out welfare like it is candy, why not make them WORK to earn it?

I know...you are all thinking "wtf do you mean? They are on welfare because they cant find a job". By work, I am not talking about like working for a company. How about making them work towards a better community? Turn these ghettos around. Clean them up. Wash off the graffiti off the walls. Take care of business. Pick up garbage from all over. Work towards NOT making it a ghetto.

Good idea, no? But it won't ever happen because I will be accused of hating the poor and entitlement mentality.

Actually there used to be quite a few of those programs and they did quite well, it kept alot of kids off of the streets and from gangs, which in turn lowered the crime rate in many places. What happened to those programs? They went out during the Reagan era, never to return

Old 02-22-2016, 05:52 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,726 times
Without welfare, would our ghettos turn into third world slums? (drug, regular)

Virginia and Hawaii will be just fine. Hard to say about Alabama and Mississippi.....

DoD Releases Fiscal Year 2014 Defense Spending by State Report

Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Give them back their communities and their economy will flourish. Stop trying to interfere and help, because that's worked so well...poverty was declining slowly until the state stepped in and it leveled off. Does anyone claim that welfare has actually solved any problems?

I like what Walter Williams said about if he was the leader of the KKK, he couldn't think of a better way to keep blacks down than put them in government schools, on welfare, and in government housing.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:57 PM

12,043 posts, read 6,576,479 times
The work ethic has been lost in the welfare ghettos.
We need to have a much stronger work incentive tied to able-bodied welfare recipients.
If illegals can not only support themselves,(working hard and getting welfare help) but also send much of their money back to Mexico, welfare ghettos can learn to have a work ethic again.

Where will those jobs come from? Illegals, when we send them back., so we can employ Americans.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:16 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Actually the slums are mans own creation because of giving handouts and wanting nothing back in return!
Apparently you have not been listening to the promises (lies) that the repub candidates are preaching to their low information followers. Why do you think that Trump is leading the polls now.
Holy thread necromancy, Batman! Did you just decided to randomly reply to an almost five year old post? Trump was probably a Democrat back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies