Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Yes, but even people WITH money will not want to start a business in Mexico because of the difficulties in doing so. As a result, there are very few new jobs to pull people out of poverty.
The Mexican Gov needs to take care of his own people! Mexico is NOT a poor country they just keep their people poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I suspect this is a largely rural phenomenon; cities and suburbs tend to have ordinances intended to prevent this sort of thing - for example, there may be no place zoned to allow trailers.
I realize about zoning, I am probably twice or three times you age, have lived in rural and urban America and was a realtor for many years.

Now, as for most areas or buildings having restrictions on how many can live in a unit, that refers to rental buildings, not owner occupied homes on individual lots.

You are an idealist, which is fine, but you are also totally unrealistic. What you are suggesting would not work and will neve be tried.

And let's address the topic of maintaining these wonderful 500 sq ft homes (do you have any idea how small those would be) who will pay for repairs. If Mr and Mrs buyer can't afford a decent place they certainly can not afford to maintain a home.

Nita

Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Yes, but even people WITH money will not want to start a business in Mexico because of the difficulties in doing so. As a result, there are very few new jobs to pull people out of poverty.
It is more a skill issue than business making jobs for jobs sake.
Many people don't deserve even the minimum wage, they barely speak proper English, they maybe can't follow directions and many can't day in day out be to work in time for a job.

That is your main issues #1

Main issues #2, not enough of those without work are willing to move to where the work is.

Main issue #3, entitlement mentality. Too many watch TV and believe work means you get a house, health insurance and a new car.
People have zero sense of history and don't realize only decades ago most people didn't own homes and rented two families to a place the size of a two car garage.

FROM THE MARKET: those are the three little words that determine what is needed to be employed and what your level of pay should or will be IMO.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:36 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Actually the slums are mans own creation because of giving handouts and wanting nothing back in return!

There is much validity in the adage that something provided for free is not valued. Property, money, education, etc.

Now having written the above, I recall receiving free soup, sandwiches and potable water from the Red Cross after Hurricane Andrew in 1992 demolished the local community. I was very appreciative. Free basic meals for myself only lasted about two weeks until roads were cleared and the ability to return to work and find alternative lodging was possible.

Now, I also saw people discard the sandwiches(1 slice bread + 1 slice bologna + 1 slice american cheese + 1 slide bread) because they where dissatisfied with the food.

I could see being on some sort of Govt' Welfare in the short run in the event of a disruption of normal life (Natural disaster as above, man made disaster as in the Great Recession) but a long term approach which does not encourage selfgrowth enervates a person.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
After reading some of these post ....whew! some folks are pretty high and mighty on themselves. People who are in the situations that they are in are there not just because of the "handouts from social programs" but from the lack of knowledge on how to manage their money properly. There other factors that also lead up to that also, such as inadequate education (both from the school system and from home), racism (most whites have had a 200 year head start on the accumulation of wealth) also some projects were designed to keep certain people contained during the riots and segregated from whites before that. As far as the "if they don't get welfare their morals will change" crowd, who in the hell are you trying make believe that crap? Let me try to understand this, if I take away some of your benefits your morals will change? Sooo, if I took away some of the cooperate tax loopholes and some of the other benefits that the rich have, they will stop being so greedy and give back alot of the money that they stole? REALLY?

Did many of you know that the welfare system ENCOURAGED men not to live with their families? There are some people there because of medical, addiction, and mental health reasons also. It is really easy to point a finger at the downtrodden based on the topgraphical perception and not see what the underlying causes that brought it about in the first place.

Do (some) of you realize that a concentration of jews is also called a ghetto? Coming from Pittsburgh, the section of the city that has a dominate Jewish population is far from what many of you perceived as being a slum.
there are many areas that have been referred to, in the past, as Ghettos. I think many of us are aware of this.

As for people on welfare being there just because of handouts: everyone knows not everyone on welfare chooses to remain on the governmnet dole, but a good number of them do choose to live by asking for handouts.

You talk about greedy corporations, do you have any clue how many of those greedy corporations you refer to give to the community directly or indirectly?

Sure education or lack of the same creates much of the welfare we see today, but this isn't the fault of schools or school districts, this is directly the fault of parents and the home. If you do not instill the importance of an education on your kids, how is this the fault of the teachers?

Nita

Old 04-25-2011, 03:09 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
[quote=simetime;18876373]After reading some of these post ....whew! some folks are pretty high and mighty on themselves. People who are in the situations that they are in are there not just because of the "handouts from social programs" but from the lack of knowledge on how to manage their money properly. There other factors that also lead up to that also, such as inadequate education (both from the school system and from home), racism (most whites have had a 200 year head start on the accumulation of wealth) also some projects were designed to keep certain people contained during the riots and segregated from whites before that. As far as the "if they don't get welfare their morals will change" crowd, who in the hell are you trying make believe that crap? Let me try to understand this, if I take away some of your benefits your morals will change? Sooo, if I took away some of the cooperate tax loopholes and some of the other benefits that the rich have, they will stop being so greedy and give back alot of the money that they stole? REALLY?
Yes the Corporations do give to OBAMA campaign so now he is repaying them with not having to pay taxes. GE, Chase, and others......

Did many of you know that the welfare system ENCOURAGED men not to live with their families?
Yes so they can collect but they also have to lie and say they dont kn ow who the father is so they dont go after the father.
There are some people there because of medical, addiction, and mental health reasons also.
This is not the same thing as being capable and able to work and choosing not to and get assistance. Popping out babies so they can get more money so they dont have to work.

It is really easy to point a finger at the downtrodden based on the top graphical perception and not see what the underlying causes that brought it about in the first place.
If it were there to help as was the premise that started it that would be fine BUT it is not there to help it is there to be a lifestyle.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miborn View Post
the mexican gov needs to take care of his own people! Mexico is not a poor country they just keep their people poor.
bingo!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I realize about zoning, I am probably twice or three times you age, have lived in rural and urban America and was a realtor for many years.

Now, as for most areas or buildings having restrictions on how many can live in a unit, that refers to rental buildings, not owner occupied homes on individual lots.

You are an idealist, which is fine, but you are also totally unrealistic. What you are suggesting would not work and will neve be tried.

And let's address the topic of maintaining these wonderful 500 sq ft homes (do you have any idea how small those would be) who will pay for repairs. If Mr and Mrs buyer can't afford a decent place they certainly can not afford to maintain a home.

Nita
MY goodness, one can buy a darn tent that has 500 sq ft. That would be cheaper and they wouldn't take care of the tent either.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
MY goodness, one can buy a darn tent that has 500 sq ft. That would be cheaper and they wouldn't take care of the tent either.
and we can call the subdivision: tent city???

Nita

Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and we can call the subdivision: tent city???

Nita
There ya go. Sounds good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies