Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:48 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
there are many areas that have been referred to, in the past, as Ghettos. I think many of us are aware of this.

Not as many as you may think

As for people on welfare being there just because of handouts: everyone knows not everyone on welfare chooses to remain on the governmnet dole, but a good number of them do choose to live by asking for handouts.

This is also true, but the few that are gives the ignorant that impression that all of us are the same way

You talk about greedy corporations, do you have any clue how many of those greedy corporations you refer to give to the community directly or indirectly?
True, but many of them do it and exploit the community at the same time. Think of liquor and gun stores in the community

Sure education or lack of the same creates much of the welfare we see today, but this isn't the fault of schools or school districts, this is directly the fault of parents and the home. If you do not instill the importance of an education on your kids, how is this the fault of the teachers?

Nita
It is if you have teachers who are not teaching or even care about the students. It is just like having a Physician give you a half azz examination. True he did see you and you did pay but you still have some disease that he should have caught before it got worst. Of course parents should be the first line in educating our children, but if the parents don't know......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It is if you have teachers who are not teaching or even care about the students. It is just like having a Physician give you a half azz examination. True he did see you and you did pay but you still have some disease that he should have caught before it got worst. Of course parents should be the first line in educating our children, but if the parents don't know......
I know a heck of a lot of teachers, I would think you would know a few as well. There are good and bad in every profession, but many of these teachers, especially in the inner cities get these kids from homes that don't even have a book in their apartments or houses. They have never seen anything on TV but junk, the parents either do not care or do not know how to parent or to prepare the kids for school. You are saying it is up to the schools to make a difference, too bad it can't be done, or rarely can. How would you like to be the teacher who askes the parents to come in for consultation 3 or 4 times or the one on one reports and the parents do not even respond or say they will be there and do not show up. How would you like to be the second grade teacher trying to teach 7 and 8 year olds who come to school hungry or with no sleep if they come at all? I am not a suporter of all teachers, teachers unions or whatever and I do think some teachers do not care, but the majority do...

Nita

Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,327,751 times
And the above is precisly why they need to end welfare, thus ending that culture of neglect...

//www.city-data.com/blogs/blog1....html#comments

Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know a heck of a lot of teachers, I would think you would know a few as well. There are good and bad in every profession, but many of these teachers, especially in the inner cities get these kids from homes that don't even have a book in their apartments or houses. They have never seen anything on TV but junk, the parents either do not care or do not know how to parent or to prepare the kids for school. You are saying it is up to the schools to make a difference, too bad it can't be done, or rarely can. How would you like to be the teacher who askes the parents to come in for consultation 3 or 4 times or the one on one reports and the parents do not even respond or say they will be there and do not show up. How would you like to be the second grade teacher trying to teach 7 and 8 year olds who come to school hungry or with no sleep if they come at all? I am not a suporter of all teachers, teachers unions or whatever and I do think some teachers do not care, but the majority do...

Nita
This is true, I was simply responding to a previous question. I do agree with you wholeheartly. My hero (Richard Pryor) once said that if you want to hide something from.......... put it in a book.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Here is an idea. Instead of handing out welfare like it is candy, why not make them WORK to earn it?

I know...you are all thinking "wtf do you mean? They are on welfare because they cant find a job". By work, I am not talking about like working for a company. How about making them work towards a better community? Turn these ghettos around. Clean them up. Wash off the graffiti off the walls. Take care of business. Pick up garbage from all over. Work towards NOT making it a ghetto.

Good idea, no? But it won't ever happen because I will be accused of hating the poor and entitlement mentality.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:09 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
We have no ghettos or slums in Europe. It's because of the welfare state. You can walk around any part of the city at any time of day or night in safety. It's nice, you should try it some time in the US.
Tell that to Ilan Halimi -- oh, wait, he was kidnapped, tortured for three weeks and then murdered in a Muslim ghetto just outside of Paris. The police won't even go in there, it's so dangerous.

Tell that to all the people whose cars are set on fire on a weekly basis all around France.

They might call you a name you won't like, but it would be the truth. Now stop fibbing to the Americans here on CD.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:41 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,607,062 times
Wrong he was tortured in a underground cellar of a safe council estate of southern Paris.
Not at all a no go area and the crime rate of the district is lower than the average France.

It proves that bad crime can happen everywhere.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:25 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Here is an idea. Instead of handing out welfare like it is candy, why not make them WORK to earn it?
yeah, this is how welfare has worked since the 1996 reforms.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

I know...you are all thinking "wtf do you mean? They are on welfare because they cant find a job". By work, I am not talking about like working for a company. How about making them work towards a better community? Turn these ghettos around. Clean them up. Wash off the graffiti off the walls. Take care of business. Pick up garbage from all over. Work towards NOT making it a ghetto.

Good idea, no? But it won't ever happen because I will be accused of hating the poor and entitlement mentality.
No, they won't you might be accused of wasteful spending since they still want to get paid. Who is gonna pay for the bad neighborhoods to get clean?

Old 07-03-2011, 05:33 AM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
keep in mind, though, that these worlds will not be self-contained. the inhabitants have a tendency to move in and out.

then it becomes everyone's problem.
If they become a problem eliminate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies