Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times

Advertisements

Who ever said "going green" would be cheaper than the status quo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The President has an opinion and a vision. You have an opinion and a vision. I have an opinion and a vision. That makes us all a hell lot more than stupid. To call someone, or a group, stupid without directly engaging in a logic-based debate is stupid, however.

Solar energy has been accepted as ONE of many solutions. And if you believe that the government always screws up something, you wouldn’t happen to support the government representatives who share your vision as screwing up now would you? We need visionaries running the government, not people crawling under a rock or looking at short term political/economic gains. People who recognize potential problems, yes, and energy crisis is GUARANTEED to be one.

Or, do you believe energy is cheap and forever?
The problem though is that corporate interests are being allowed to dictate that "future vision" where they retain their power and revenue.

I'm fine with the vision but not the lobbying and not the corporate type solutions that are being proposed.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Are you posting from your PC????

Does your PC take energy??
My vehicle is a 2000 but it only has 50,000 miles on it. I have NEVER purchased new furniture, only garage sale specials. Just last month I FINALLY tossed my housecoat that I've been wearing since 1993. I actually get out a needle and thread and "darn" my socks so I don't have to throw them away. I'm able to get additional mileage from them.

I recycle the vast majority of my household grey water. I've managed to reduce my monthly water usage by 1/2.... all using a simple 5 gal bucket and my muscles.

Since I spent 19 yrs as a single mom of 4 boys, living on a STRICT budget was necessary. My friends call me the "frugal queen".

I grow a garden of edibles.

This is just the short list of my frugal non-materialistic lifestyle.

What about you?

Old 04-22-2011, 09:35 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
My vehicle is a 2000 but it only has 50,000 miles on it. I have NEVER purchased new furniture, only garage sale specials. Just last month I FINALLY tossed my housecoat that I've been wearing since 1993. I actually get out a needle and thread and "darn" my socks so I don't have to throw them away. I'm able to get additional mileage from them.
I wish that I had that type of discipline. But you are exactly the reason a national sales tax would be devastating to business. But it would be great for you

Old 04-22-2011, 09:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The problem though is that corporate interests are being allowed to dictate that "future vision" where they retain their power and revenue.

I'm fine with the vision but not the lobbying and not the corporate type solutions that are being proposed.
Why do you assume that it is only "go green" corporations who have the power but "oil" corporations are weak at lobbying? Why can't, we as a people, stand up and debate the need, the pros and cons of the ideas about being conservative with energy and natural resources without lugging in corruption?

Consider my personal choice. When I shopped for a house, I looked for a reasonable size and the best location (central, schools and facilities). I settled for a price and a mortgage that I wanted to get rid of early, even as a single guy in late 20s. And my 15-year mortgage will be paid off in about three years. Price was a key for another reason besides getting rid of the only loan I have. I was looking to invest in solar power and work towards greater independence. And independence from HOA was also accounted for those and other reasons. I even shopped for Civic GX with PHILL station from Honda but the car was sold out for the year.

And as soon as I'm done paying the mortgage, I will be investing the money I decided not to spend on a more expensive house and a more expensive new car, on getting solar panels.

So, while there would be a relatively expensive investment from me in green technology in the near future, I made up for a part of that expense by making fiscally responsible decisions a few years ahead. So, now while in my 30s I may be living in a house that is only 2000 sq ft and a car that isn't brand new or cost twice of what it did, I will have no mortgage to worry about in my 40s and expect energy independence to a nice degree if not completely.

When it comes to oil prices, having lived in Germany and England, I am probably better prepared than most for obscenely high prices, something I've expected for years. My investments have a price tag, but they are for greater independence a few years down the road, and the idea of continued fiscal responsibility.

That is where I see President Obama's point. We waste a lot, and have been doing that for decades. We have not invested in the future and keep looking back at the solutions from the past. At some point we will be forced to, and there is no better time than now when oil prices are still at a reasonable levels. We consume WAY too much.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 AM

I would also like to add, I have a 15 yr old TV that hasn't been plugged into the wall since 2009. I don't even have cable TV. I've NEVER owned a cell phone. I don't go to the salon every month (like many women) to get my hair and nails done. The last time I bought an "outfit" was 2009, for my son's wedding.

My front yard is "no mow" landscaped with over 200+ perennials. The old King size waterbed in the basement got recycled into the front yard landscaping. Have received plenty of compliments on it. All those old blue jeans get recycled into a "blue jean quilt".

Both my grandparents survived the Great Depression. They were good teachers and I am a decent student. Poverty tends to do that to a person.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:38 PM

How come Driller and summer don't come back and insult me some more for having a computer?

Old 04-22-2011, 02:44 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Why do you assume that it is only "go green" corporations who have the power but "oil" corporations are weak at lobbying? Why can't, we as a people, stand up and debate the need, the pros and cons of the ideas about being conservative with energy and natural resources without lugging in corruption?
interesting you bring this up.

this is a great read.

Climate Shift: Clear Vision for the Next Decade of Public Debate | Climate Shift

its all about how those in favor of AGW/Green technology are out spending the skeptics by a pretty large amount.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:45 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
interesting you bring this up.

this is a great read.

Climate Shift: Clear Vision for the Next Decade of Public Debate | Climate Shift

its all about how those in favor of AGW/Green technology are out spending the skeptics by a pretty large amount.
Who would be the skeptics? I am assuming it won't include coal and oil interest groups.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:47 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
The President has an opinion and a vision. You have an opinion and a vision. I have an opinion and a vision. That makes us all a hell lot more than stupid. To call someone, or a group, stupid without directly engaging in a logic-based debate is stupid, however.

Solar energy has been accepted as ONE of many solutions. And if you believe that the government always screws up something, you wouldn’t happen to support the government representatives who share your vision as screwing up now would you? We need visionaries running the government, not people crawling under a rock or looking at short term political/economic gains. People who recognize potential problems, yes, and energy crisis is GUARANTEED to be one.

Or, do you believe energy is cheap and forever?
what we need running the government are people commtted to keeping the government from messing stuff up and changing the game from day to day.

when it comes to next gen energy technology, government intervention will drive invention in a direction dictated by the major power/money players and not by the autual consumers who should be driving the innovation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies