Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:00 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
What about ex-gays, people who used to be homosexual but are now straight?
They are still homosexual. They are just living a lie pretending to heterosexual.

They have been taught to hate homosexuality by their religion- therefore to hate themselves.

There is no reliable evidence that sexual orientation change efforts actually works.
And plenty of evidence that it doesn't work and can be damaging.
Appropriate Therapeutic Responses to Sexual Orientation

There are also plenty of EX Ex-gays who said that they lied to go along with their religion and families.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
Of course it is just a message board with people stating their experiences/own opinions and knowledge. I don't expect a "hard science" stat source to come out regarding the percentage of gay mormons any time soon. It appears to me that they are some of the most delusional, brainwashed religious folk I have come across in a very long time. The percentage of gay mormon men here is obvious to the seeing eye. trust. I am just stating my own observances and experiences and trying to see if anyone else out there has had the same experiences.
When providing links with a specific thread title I would expect a more "reputable" source than a discussion board....so I don't understand "of course it's a message board???????

ROFL.........they are slowly coming along, but they can be quite mean spirited and funded California's Prop 8 fiasco against gays.

I read the board......I've never been to Utah.......they seem covinced the state has more than an average share of gays.....

I know of no scientific reasoning for this....except the high birth rate could partially skew the population more towards gay folks.....as some have alluded to and the research suggesting more boys....more chance of a gay son.....so that may be it.

I'm buying a plane ticket now......LOL..... .

Here's a great gay movie about a gay Mormon guy and how he eventually comes out of the closet...it's very good and was banned in Salt Lake City so you know it struck a nerve>>>>>

YouTube - Latter Days trailer

Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I wonder if this is really true. There is one possible explanation. Scientists are finding that gay men tend to have older brothers. The more older brothers a man has, the more likely he is to be gay.

My ex boyfriend is 10th out of 13 kids (don't know how many of them were sons but he had at least 2 older brothers). His youngest brother, #13 was also gay.

Since Mormons tend to have more kids than average, it would only make sense that there would be a slightly higher percentage of gay men in Mormon families.
Sounds possible:

"I demonstrate that the number of biological older brothers, including those not reared with the participant (but not the number of nonbiological older brothers), increases the probability of homosexuality in men. These results provide evidence that a prenatal mechanism(s), and not social and/or rearing factors, affects men's sexual orientation development."

"Biological Versus Nonbiological Older Brothers and Men’s Sexual Orientation," published by PNAS (Proceedings of the NationalAcademy of Sciences of the United States of America): Bogaert, A (2006)

http://www.pnas.org/content/103/28/10771.full.pdf

“There is a long-standing debate on the role of genetic factors influencing homosexuality because the presence of these factors contradicts the Darwinian prediction according to which natural selection should progressively eliminate the factors that reduce individual fecundity and fitness. Recently, however, Camperio Ciani, Corna, and Capiluppi (Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences, 271, 2217-2221, 2004), comparing the family trees of homosexuals with heterosexuals, reported a significant increase in fecundity in the females related to the homosexual probands from the maternal line but not in those related from the paternal one.”

New evidence of genetic factors influencing sexual orientation in men: female fecundity increase in the maternal line. Iemmola F, Camperio Ciani A. (2008) New evidence of genetic factors influencing sexual... [Arch Sex Behav. 2009] - PubMed result

Old 04-26-2011, 03:12 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Sounds possible:

"I demonstrate that the number of biological older brothers, including those not reared with the participant (but not the number of nonbiological older brothers), increases the probability of homosexuality in men. These results provide evidence that a prenatal mechanism(s), and not social and/or rearing factors, affects men's sexual orientation development."

"Biological Versus Nonbiological Older Brothers and Men’s Sexual Orientation," published by PNAS (Proceedings of the NationalAcademy of Sciences of the United States of America): Bogaert, A (2006)
http://www.pnas.org/content/103/28/10771.full.pdf

“There is a long-standing debate on the role of genetic factors influencing homosexuality because the presence of these factors contradicts the Darwinian prediction according to which natural selection should progressively eliminate the factors that reduce individual fecundity and fitness. Recently, however, Camperio Ciani, Corna, and Capiluppi (Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B: Biological Sciences, 271, 2217-2221, 2004), comparing the family trees of homosexuals with heterosexuals, reported a significant increase in fecundity in the females related to the homosexual probands from the maternal line but not in those related from the paternal one.”

New evidence of genetic factors influencing sexual orientation in men: female fecundity increase in the maternal line. Iemmola F, Camperio Ciani A. (2008) New evidence of genetic factors influencing sexual... [Arch Sex Behav. 2009] - PubMed result
Thanx for the link.......I've used that website before but never noticed that particular study.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Maybe there's something in the water (not joking).

Old 04-26-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Maybe there's something in the water (not joking).
There's a movie called that.

Or maybe homosexuality is Natures's way of ensuring that a certain percentage of people can think outside the box.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:05 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Because there are so many gays in Utah.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I heard the reason for that is because the womb environment sees the male hormones as foreign and wants to fight them, and after repeated sons the female body naturally wants to feminize the womb.
A study has been released that posits this theory as a possible cause of homosexuality. It was completed by a Professor at Chapman University. They are in the process now of additional studies to confirm the findings but so far, it does look like hormonal activity plays a role in sexual orientation.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,756,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I wonder if this is really true. There is one possible explanation. Scientists are finding that gay men tend to have older brothers. The more older brothers a man has, the more likely he is to be gay.

My ex boyfriend is 10th out of 13 kids (don't know how many of them were sons but he had at least 2 older brothers). His youngest brother, #13 was also gay.

Since Mormons tend to have more kids than average, it would only make sense that there would be a slightly higher percentage of gay men in Mormon families.
There is something here. Im gay and Im an only child and I was about 22 before I ever met another gay man who also was an only child (I came out at 17).

Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Here's a great gay movie about a gay Mormon guy and how he eventually comes out of the closet...it's very good and was banned in Salt Lake City so you know it struck a nerve>>>>>

YouTube - Latter Days trailer
Seriously? I watched Latter Days in college with my roommate. When the movie ended, without speaking, I got up, removed the DVD from the player, walked into the kitchen, and threw it in the trash. My roommate looked at me and gave me the thumbs up.

Latter Days is quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies