Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:15 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So instead of partisan bickering and using "Bush did it" as the moral justification to break the law, why don't we just stop? Does Obama have to mess things up further, the same amount that Bush did in order for us to have our country back?
I wrote my congressmen after the 2010 election and told them that if a military action is to be taken outside of the United States that I want them to declare war on said country.

I won't vote for a congressman or woman who doesn't say anything, or didn't say anything under the last administration either, if I have a viable choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:16 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh geeze Polly...they relabeled it.
Combat troops in Iraq are "peace keeping"
The war in Libya is now a "humanitarian effort".
Obama doesn't need Congressional approval if it's part of a NATO humanitarian effort, so says Hillary. Bush didn't declare
Iraq a humanitarian effort.

Didn't you see my
sarcastic faces I'm totally against what Obama/Hillary/Susan Rice/Gates did. I know it's a war.

And I never thought I could think anyone was worse
than Bush Jr -but, here comes Obama

Old 05-20-2011, 10:20 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sounds like you'd approve if we start doing to the same thing to Syria.
As long as there is no "boots on the ground" it really isn't a war is it ?
There is a critical element missing in the several other areas that have oppressive leaders killing their own. UN authorization and cooperation in any intervention. If there were such support, yes I would agree with non-unilateral action.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:23 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
One more time

I want all Presidents, and all congresses to have to declare war on a country before we send one US troop to another country. When the war ends, all US troops should be sent home.

Thats the third time I've had to say that.
Okay, fine, the please tell us where the process for declaring war exists.

I have no clue where liberals and supporters of 0bama stand on this issue. As long as 0bama refers to Libya as a "humanitarian mission", even if he kills hundreds of people and destroy much of the infrastructure of a foreign country, then it's not a war?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Dude, we never declared war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq the first time, Grenada, or Vietnam.
Quote:
Can you show me your post to

"President Bush, its time to declare war or GTFO of Iraq"?
You're kidding? Bush went to CONGRESS and was given the go ahead.

Remember, he even went to the UN.

Amazing, simply breathtakingly amazing, obama's supporters are now ok with him violating the WPA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...35G_story.html

Death of the War Powers Act?

Thanks to obama.

Quote:
By Friday, the administration’s legal team is likely to announce that the clock stopped ticking on April 1 — the date when NATO “took the lead” in the bombing campaign. Since NATO is running the show, the argument will go, the War Powers Act no longer applies, and the president doesn’t have to go back to Congress after all.

But American planes and drones continued their bombing long after the April turnover — and the drones are still flying over Libya. Since the cost of the mission is at three-quarters of a billion dollars and climbing, it is sheer fiction to suggest that we are no longer a vital player in NATO’s “Operation Unified Protector.”
Obama is absolutely LAWLESS.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Obama doesn't need Congressional approval if it's part of a NATO humanitarian effort, so says Hillary. Bush didn't declare
Iraq a humanitarian effort.

Didn't you see my
sarcastic faces I'm totally against what Obama/Hillary/Susan Rice/Gates did. I know it's a war.

And I never thought I could think anyone was worse
than Bush Jr -but, here comes Obama
Take whatever Bush did, that infuriated the left, and here comes 0bama doubling down on all of it, and the left is...... fine with it? Indifferent with it? Is applauding it? Or excusing it?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Okay, fine, the please tell us where the process for declaring war exists.

I have no clue where liberals and supporters of 0bama stand on this issue. As long as 0bama refers to Libya as a "humanitarian mission", even if he kills hundreds of people and destroy much of the infrastructure of a foreign country, then it's not a war?
BINGO..give the poster a cigar folks cause we have a winner over here in this corner !!!

Call it something other than what it really is and the sheeple will not question it.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:30 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Is Obama about to break the law? - CNN.com

Is Obama about to break the law?

Quote:
Rep. Brad Sherman, D-California, tells CNN he believes Obama is trying to "bring democracy to Libya while shredding the Constitution of the United States."

"He cannot continue what he is doing in Libya without congressional authorization. When a president defiantly violates the law, that really undercuts our efforts to urge other countries to have the rule of law," Sherman said.
Amazing how so many on the Left have left their integrity and honesty in tatters while defending this president. Congressional dems/libs are basically silent, except for a few that retain their honor.

Last edited by sanrene; 05-20-2011 at 11:05 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 AM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
Libya: President Obama, Congress Faces Questions on War Powers Act - ABC News

taken from a non-right wing website.

obama is the first president in history to defy the war powers resolution. libs ***** and moan about bushs illegal wars. how does it feel when the shoe is on the other foot?
Thank you for your concern for the sensibilities of our Liberal friends by posting a link from a left leaning site. That was sure considerate of you.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Is Obama about to break the law? - CNN.com

Is Obama about to break the law?

Amazing how so many on the Left have left their integrity and honesty in tatters while defending this president.
apparently, to the left and the 0bama supporters, if Bush had only made the case for a humanitarian mission in Iraq, then they would have been fine with the Iraq invasion.

I think Saddam was killing more people, on an annual basis, then 0bama would lead us to believe Qaddafi might have.

This quote by 0bama went right out the window, and the left is apparently fine with that.

"No more ignoring the law when it's inconvenient. That is not who we are," Obama said, referring to his predecessor President George W. Bush. "We will again set an example for the world that the law is not subject to the whims of stubborn rulers."

....apparently, just to arrogant rulers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies