Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
irrelevant. your attempt to spin this into a right vs left will not work on me.

obama is about to break the law and should be called on it.

also, bush had congressional funding AND approval, something obama doesnt (yet.. maybe...)

Actually Bush ignored several provisions within that budget, no bid contracts were part of that. So while he got congressional funding, he didn't spend it the way he was supposed to. And the fact that we went to war for a known false pretense even makes it worse.

But it is relevant, were you protesting the Iraq war at 59 days? Where you calling for congress to declare war?

You see, this is why its important. Because the next time a Republican President goes off on psuedowar, you'll just be a happy follower. Which makes the whole idea of your opposition hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 12:09 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,625,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
And the UN authorization and cooperation was .........?
this has what to do with obama about to break the law.... ?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:10 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,625,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Actually Bush ignored several provisions within that budget, no bid contracts were part of that. So while he got congressional funding, he didn't spend it the way he was supposed to. And the fact that we went to war for a known false pretense even makes it worse.

But it is relevant, were you protesting the Iraq war at 59 days? Where you calling for congress to declare war?

You see, this is why its important. Because the next time a Republican President goes off on psuedowar, you'll just be a happy follower. Which makes the whole idea of your opposition hypocritical.
irrelevant, he had approval from BOTH SIDES and funding. you can argue the semantics on how he spent the money bla bla bla, but the point is, HE HAD AUTHORIZATION whereas obama doesnt.

dont let those facts confuse you

Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 PM

326 posts, read 872,341 times
Quote:

Sorry, but your attacks on DexterCat's motivation in posting this thread are an ad hominem irrelevant to the issue.

The legality of the current situation is not affected by the motivation of an anonymous online forum persona. The policy implications of the current situation are not affected by the motivation of an anonymous online forum persona.

This is exactly what's wrong with our political system today. It's much easier to point fingers at the other side and say "You did it too!" than actually resolve an issue.

I don't care if DexterCat is a hypocrite. If establishing that is a big priority for you, feel free to create a thread titled "Why are actions conservatives considered okay under Bush not okay under Obama?" Personally, I care a bit more about U.S. combat involvement in Libya than the consistency of DexterCat's beliefs. But maybe my priorities are off base...?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Dude, we never declared war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq the first time, Grenada, or Vietnam.
You were doing so well and then you threw in Vietnam. Did we still have troops there in 1973 when the Congress agreed to that resolution?

HOW WAR POWERS ACT WORKS - NYTimes.com

I think that the Congress allowed those others to go on, also, but I could be wrong.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
Sorry, but your attacks on DexterCat's motivation in posting this thread are an ad hominem irrelevant to the issue.

The legality of the current situation is not affected by the motivation of an anonymous online forum persona. The policy implications of the current situation are not affected by the motivation of an anonymous online forum persona.

This is exactly what's wrong with our political system today. It's much easier to point fingers at the other side and say "You did it too!" than actually resolve an issue.

I don't care if DexterCat is a hypocrite. If establishing that is a big priority for you, feel free to create a thread titled "Why are actions conservatives considered okay under Bush not okay under Obama?" Personally, I care a bit more about U.S. combat involvement in Libya than the consistency of DexterCat's beliefs. But maybe my priorities are off base...?
No, I find it is relevant.

Many of the Senators and Representatives who are now raising an eyebrow about this did nothing under the previous administration.

I only support bringing subjects up to enlighten, or to make a change. In this case, the OP and most everyone trying to make an issue out of this don't care about the President going over 60 days without official funding. They simply care that the President is a Democrat.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Oh its a problem, but where was all the bitching when President Bush went into Afghanistan or Iraq?

Thats right, silent.

When you only complain when the other guy is in office, then you're not being truthful on how you feel about the issue.

I'd like to remove the war powers act completely, and if we want to send troops to another country, or into battle, then congress should have to declare war.

I suppose a 90 day commander and chief loop hole could be granted, but only in cases of VITAL strategic interest to the United States, or an attack on the homeland.

By Vital, I mean like Osama Bin Laden, or they are fueling their missiles, etc. Not "Well the CIA is telling us they have a 51% chance of having weapons of mass destruction"
Deflection is one of the better methods of good old Saul Alinsky, don't you think.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You were doing so well and then you threw in Vietnam. Did we still have troops there in 1973 when the Congress agreed to that resolution?

HOW WAR POWERS ACT WORKS - NYTimes.com

I think that the Congress allowed those others to go on, also, but I could be wrong.
Did Congress declare war? No, without an official declaration, its still not a war.

Hence "The United States has never lost a war", which is in essence true, even in Vietnam.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Where you demonstrating the Iraq war?

Simple question, yes or no. At 59 days were you saying that the congress needs to declare war?
If DexterCat was around during the period you are trying to deflect to he has been pretty quiet for a number of years. Good job of deflecting, though.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:50 PM

326 posts, read 872,341 times
Quote:
No, I find it is relevant.

Many of the Senators and Representatives who are now raising an eyebrow about this did nothing under the previous administration.

I only support bringing subjects up to enlighten, or to make a change. In this case, the OP and most everyone trying to make an issue out of this don't care about the President going over 60 days without official funding. They simply care that the President is a Democrat.
Why does the OP matter? I don't expect to ever meet him/her/it.

Next time those senators and reps are up for reelection, by all means raise this issue against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies