Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I don't know about "the standard". I'd just be happy to have "the choice".
You do have the choice to kill yourself,you just have to do the hard part and do the deed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
Quote:
Euthanasia is only illegal on moral (mostly religious) grounds.
What does that law accomplish? It only prolongs needless suffering. Who benefits from that?
As a side note, one should not expect empathy or compassion from religious people.
I already answered that from the Time Mag I posted even earlier in this thread.

Quote:
A study in the Netherlands found that one in four doctors said they had killed patients without an explicit request--including one doctor who believed that a dying Dutch nun was prevented from requesting euthanasia because of her religion, so he felt the just and merciful thing to do was to decide for her.
even if I didn't consider all assisted suicides murder, if 25% of assisted suicides were murder according to any definition then how can we allow such a law to take place.

would you also allow a parents to authorize a terminal ill child to be euthanized all in the name of some foolish attempt for mercy?

how about someone who was 100% mentally incompetent?

sorry to all those oppose religion on these threads, but the facts are liberals are who this verse in Isaiah (5-20) is talking about.
20. Woe to those who say of the evil that it is good and of the good that it is evil; who present darkness as light and light as darkness, who present bitter as sweet and sweet as bitter.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,112,381 times
Oh, the hell with the law. If an obviously terminal friend asked me to help him/her end it all, I'd do it (carefully).

And I'd hope he/she would help me if it was the other way around.

Last edited by Tantalust; 06-06-2011 at 08:24 AM..

Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
I already answered that from the Time Mag I posted even earlier in this thread.

even if I didn't consider all assisted suicide murder, if 25% of assisted suicides were murder according to any definition then how can we allow such a law to take place.

would you also allow a parents to authorize a terminal ill child to be euthanized all in the name of some foolish attempt for mercy?

how about someone who was 100% mentally incompetent?
These are all very good reasons for strictly regulating it.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Oh, the hell with the law. If an obviously terminal friend asked me to help him end it all, I'd do it (carefully).

And I'd hope he/she would help me if it was the other way around.
What if the person was fully capable of offing themselves but just wanted you to do it?

Old 06-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
It IS regulated in the Netherlands....

Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
Quote:
and if you make even 1 mistake your a murderer according to all definitions.
and yes mistakes will happen even with strict regulations. Name 1 regulated area that doesn't have a lot of mess ups? Here 1 mess up will be murder even acording to your definition. (there is no other area where a mess up would be murder.

Another reason why this is immoral even if a person should have the right to forfeit there own life.

I met a perfectly sane patient who 1 day wanted to end it all and would do anything to do so and later in the week was thankfull that she was still alive. Even with strict regulations someone like that could get through would you want that on your conscience (I'm making an assumption you still have one)
people many times make rash decision when suffering. Even with the 24 hour waiting period this patient very well would have slipped through.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Nope,he went to prison for murdering someone,he did the actual deed.

In my opinion he was trying to be a martyr for his cause,and he got to be one in a way,although the cause surely did fizzle...hope he enjoyed his eight years in prison...LOL.
Complete lack of empathy, callousness about suffering, and laughing at other people's misfortunes is one of the main signs of a sociopathic personality.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:40 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
Quote:
...there is no other area where a mess up would be murder...
The death penalty.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
and if you make even 1 mistake your a murderer according to all definitions.
and yes mistakes will happen even with strict regulations. Name 1 regulated area that doesn't have a lot of mess ups? Here 1 mess up will be murder even acording to your definition. (there is no other area where a mess up would be murder.

Another reason why this is immoral even if a person should have the right to forfeit there own life.

I met a perfectly sane patient who 1 day wanted to end it all and would do anything to do so and later in the week was thankfull that she was still alive. Even with strict regulations someone like that could get through would you want that on your conscience (I'm making an assumption you still have one)
people many times make rash decision when suffering. Even with the 24 hour waiting period this patient very well would have slipped through.
Far less mistakes or abuse than if it were not regulated. Like now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies