Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:56 PM

996 posts, read 1,898,250 times

Advertisements

Slavery, and the Trail of Tears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 11:10 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Slavery, and the Trail of Tears.
It's funny. Those were the progressives of their time.

When Darwin was espousing his theories one of them was that white people were the best of the best so far. His cousin founded eugenics.

Progressives have the hardest time possible when other countries become more progressive. They'll literally wipe other progressive out to maintain the tinkering based life style.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:15 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,633,943 times
Heeelllllloooo people, slavery has occured in almost EVERY country, not just the United States. The thread asks "What's the worst AMERICAN atrocity committed on U.S. soil". If people are going to keep saying "slavery", then at least list the other countries slavery has occured in. The subject has been hashed out over and over. Yes, anybody who owned slaves was in the wrong. Yes it was a horrible thing, so is suicide, drug overdoses, rapes, child abuse and hypocrisy. Slavery does not happen in the U.S. anymore (please don't bring up illegal immigrants, that's their choice), so in my opinion, all of the horrible things that happen everyday is an atrocity. The worst? Any harm done to innocent children who, unfortunately, do not have the power or help to end it. At least slavery ended, child abuse will happen everyday. That is an atrocity.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:17 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Every nation has had it's share of committing evil acts against its own citizens. Darfur, Rwanda, German atrocities, Serbia, Pol Pot and the killing fields, etc.,

What will history record as the worst Atrocity on U.S. soil?

the 16th Amendment and the federal reserve.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:24 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Heeelllllloooo people, slavery has occured in almost EVERY country, not just the United States. The thread asks "What's the worst AMERICAN atrocity committed on U.S. soil". If people are going to keep saying "slavery", then at least list the other countries slavery has occured in. The subject has been hashed out over and over. Yes, anybody who owned slaves was in the wrong. Yes it was a horrible thing, so is suicide, drug overdoses, rapes, child abuse and hypocrisy. Slavery does not happen in the U.S. anymore (please don't bring up illegal immigrants, that's their choice), so in my opinion, all of the horrible things that happen everyday is an atrocity. The worst? Any harm done to innocent children who, unfortunately, do not have the power or help to end it. At least slavery ended, child abuse will happen everyday. That is an atrocity.
Yes, but the US made slavery all about race...Something that has had an effect on the relationship between whites and blacks up until now. How different would things have been if Africans had been brought over and paid even a menial wage rather than kept as slaves? Would've cost more, but I wonder how different this country would be?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Still does not changed or excuse what happened in the US.

What you said is, I stole the money because George, Jim, Jeff, and Ryan also stole the money. The fact remains that you stole the money.

Problem is that George, Jim, Jeff and Ryan stole the money over a hundred years ago and if I steal money now, I would have to pay for George, Jim, Jeff and Ryan stealing the money back then as well as pay for me stealing it now. I don't know about you but I don't like paying for someone else's stupid mistake that happened so long ago. Guess what? On Donner Pass, the Mormons ate two of my family members. Am I going to die because of that? Nope! Does it directly affect my everyday life and happiness? Nope. Do I expect some kind of "settlement" for it? Nope! GET OVER IT!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 PM

250 posts, read 359,963 times
Genocide of the natives followed by nearly every federal action in reverse chronological order.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Yes, but the US made slavery all about race...Something that has had an effect on the relationship between whites and blacks up until now. How different would things have been if Africans had been brought over and paid even a menial wage rather than kept as slaves? Would've cost more, but I wonder how different this country would be?

Does wondering change anything? It happened and there is nothing anyone can do to change it. Beating the subject to death only increases racial differences which, correct me if I'm wrong, aren't we all supposed to be created equal? If the people would stop whining about a horrible thing that happend in the past and expecting something out of it, including "an apology" from every generation of American out there, then it wouldn't be an issue, just something horrible that happened in history. BTW, Mexicans and Indians were slaves too so at least we can't be called "partial" to one race.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,664 times
Default how about 911 ???

I believe Sept 11th 2001 would fit the bill.....

Old 06-26-2011, 11:37 PM

996 posts, read 1,898,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tata4now View Post
I believe Sept 11th 2001 would fit the bill.....
I change mine to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies