Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:52 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
Genocide of the natives
It can't be any answer but this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 03:57 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
The treatment of the native American population.
Totally agree. From the Cherokee of the Appalachia to the
Apache of the Southwest, and all in between.

---Once a captive of the United States Geronimo was put on exhibit in many towns and cities across the United States, used in parades and fairs to bring spectators, and saw as little more than a savage, non-human.

---the U.S. Army enforcement of the Removal Act rounded up 3000 Cherokee in the summer of 1838 and loaded them onto boats that traveled the Tennessee, Ohio, Mississippi, and Arkansas Rivers into Indian Territory. Many were held in prison camps awaiting their fate. In the winter of 1838-39, 14,000 were marched 1,200 miles through Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas into rugged Indian Territory.

---An estimated 4,000 died from hunger, exposure and disease. The journey became an eternal memory as the "trail where they cried" for the Cherokees and other removed tribes. Today it is remembered as the Trail of Tears.

What we did to the native American Indian in America
is, and will always be, the most shameful act of America.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:46 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Yes, but the US made slavery all about race...Something that has had an effect on the relationship between whites and blacks up until now. How different would things have been if Africans had been brought over and paid even a menial wage rather than kept as slaves? Would've cost more, but I wonder how different this country would be?
If they could have bought Siberians for slave labor they would have. They couldn't but the one place they could was Africa because it was already so prevalent there. It easily made its way up through the Middle East and across the entire eastern hemisphere. The Soviets made themselves slaves and called it "labour" and threw them in camps called gulags.

There's still slave "labour" in China today, right now.

See why America is different? Their slaves weren't already here so it would've been really hard to enslave its own people and there just weren't enough natives to achieve what was needed.

Slavery quickly became the leading market in America.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 06-27-2011 at 06:31 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 06:19 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,735,077 times
I would have to say the Civil War. I believe that diplomacy would have been a better way, but then I always believe that, if given war is the alternative.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
Genocide of the natives followed by nearly every federal action in reverse chronological order.
Other than George Bush, were any of our presidents on a mission from God?

Old 06-27-2011, 07:53 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
The genocide perpetrated against the Indigenous people of continent. It began with thievery, treachery, murder, and broken legal agreements. Andrew Jackson's actions during the forced removal (that's the Whitewashed historian term) of my tribe and the other tribes to the Indian Territory, now Oklahoma, is where Adolf Hitler got many of his ideas on the genocide of the Jewish in Germany. The five civilized tribes forced removal from the south began with the Choctaws. It is documented by historians that Jackson had my tribe, the Mvskoke and the Cherokee rounded up and placed in over crowded holding cells to live in any type of weather and their own excrement before the move.

Just the other day my cousin told me of an incident that is not well documented in the White version of history. That event was that some of the American solidiers who forced the march had Mvskoke women and children get in a boat to cross the Mississippi. Once they were in the middle of the river they were gunned down. There are many family tales that have been handed down that are not well covered, if documented at all, in the history.

How many of you can name the five civilized tribes? After their removal from the south they began moving other tribes like the Shawnee, the Potawatomi, the Sak and Fox and many others.

The worst thing the Americans have done is the theft of land, trickery, and genocide of the Indigenous. And Andrew Jackson is burning in hell.
What about the people that lived there before your tribe kicked them out?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:32 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,723,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Other than George Bush, were any of our presidents on a mission from God?
They all were (are) when campaigning right?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:54 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the 16th Amendment and the federal reserve.

the 14th Amendment too

Old 06-27-2011, 03:05 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Totally agree. From the Cherokee of the Appalachia to the
Apache of the Southwest, and all in between.

---Once a captive of the United States Geronimo was put on exhibit in many towns and cities across the United States, used in parades and fairs to bring spectators, and saw as little more than a savage, non-human.

---the U.S. Army enforcement of the Removal Act rounded up 3000 Cherokee in the summer of 1838 and loaded them onto boats that traveled the Tennessee, Ohio, Mississippi, and Arkansas Rivers into Indian Territory. Many were held in prison camps awaiting their fate. In the winter of 1838-39, 14,000 were marched 1,200 miles through Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas into rugged Indian Territory.

---An estimated 4,000 died from hunger, exposure and disease. The journey became an eternal memory as the "trail where they cried" for the Cherokees and other removed tribes. Today it is remembered as the Trail of Tears.

What we did to the native American Indian in America
is, and will always be, the most shameful act of America.

That doesn't come close to Lincoln's genocide... .800,000 killed and half the country destroyed.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:25 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That doesn't come close to Lincoln's genocide... .800,000 killed and half the country destroyed.
I do agree the Civil war was an atrocity.
I just watched the Civil War documentary on PBS recently - I literally can not comprehend the lose of life that occurred in most of those battles. It just blows my mind.

And it is ironic that Lee was offered the position of the head of the Union army by Abraham Lincoln.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 06-27-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies