Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I often ask myself how so many of these people managed to graduate
This is the new American Education.
Lower the Bar so that No Child is Left Behind.

I think we've now just put the bar on the ground and are carrying them over it.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 PM

865 posts, read 623,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Round up min wage to $8

$8x4 = $32/hour X 40 hours = $1280/week x 52 weeks =$66,560.

Your average HS/GED unskilled burger flipper is now making $66K per year

That's more then entry level college graduate degree folks.
That more than teacher starting salaries.

Your burger flipper just became mid middle class.
Have 2 burger flippers in the family and you now make over $100K per year.

You're looking at probably $200 burgers to contain that type of labor cost.
Nice, I got a good laugh out of this. I didn't think to do the math.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
Nice, I got a good laugh out of this. I didn't think to do the math.
typical corporate greed. your labor costs just went up by a multiplier of 4.All other costs remain the same.........the cost of a burger should increase 4 times.mmmmmmmmmmm I don't recall paying $50 for my last burger at McDonalds........
that folks is how the rich GOT RICHER........I call it gouging

Old 06-24-2011, 09:47 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The rich and wealthy corporations have done very well in the past decade, even as they have decimated the middle class by outsourcing their jobs. Now they want all of the budget balancing to be done in the form of cuts to Medicare, foodstamps, welfare, etc - all the programs that are keeping the middle afloat, and the poor alive.

Why don't they just vote to kill everyone except themselves and be done with it?

Obama would just be allowing the previous tax cuts for the rich expire - do they want to give one penny away? No, because they are rich, selfish and greedy.

'With the clock ticking toward an Aug. 2 deadline, senior Republicans said negotiations led by Vice President Joe Biden had ceased making headway as congressional Democrats pressed for as much as $400 billion in new taxes on corporations and the nation's wealthiest households.'

Debt-reduction talks hit an impasse

How about we round them all up in the square, shoot them and let them lay where they fall. Then we march on and have a revolution in the way of the Russian Revolution!! Yeah that's the ticket!!! Rich people are the devil Down with the rich, down with the rich....this refrain gets so old about successful people, like they are supposed to apologize for their success. Castro would be proud of you though

Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
The rich and wealthy corporations have done very well in the past decade, even as they have decimated the middle class by outsourcing their jobs.
You decimated yourself.

You snubbed your nose at the poor in developing countries, stealing their resources, profits and wealth, and you benefited from that.

Now that you're no longer benefiting you seem upset. Obviously, you're not a Christian, because a Christian would never have coveted his neighbor's resources, wealth and profits, and would never have allowed his government to do it, and would have rejected the benefits of it.

You ought to try expanding your mind and consider the possibility that out-sourcing jobs is actually saving jobs in the US.

I understand you are economically-challenged and strategy-challenged as well, but go ahead and put an end to out-sourcing if you have the guts to stand up and do that.

I don't mind.

Really, I don't.

My plants in the Philippines, Romania and Georgia (the State -- the other State not the US State) will out-produce the snot out of your US plant. And my production costs and labor costs will be lower than you could ever dream.

You'll have to sell your widgets globally for $49 each just to keep the doors of you factory open. I'll sell my for widgets of equal quality for $29 each and stomp your guts all over the place when I gain 90% of the global market share.

Even more embarrassing is that Americans will be falling all over themselves and knocking each other down to buy my $29 widgets while ignoring your $49 widgets.

Then when your stock drops, I'll just buy up 51% of the stock in your company, and I'll own it, and then I'll shut down all of your plants permanently forever and fire all of your employees and you can all have a group hug over your pension plan that is now dead in the water.

And then where will you be working?

Nowhere.

So as a CEO, the best thing for you is to out-source jobs in order to save jobs in the US. The profits from your overseas company can be used to subsidize your US employees and keep them employed, and keep the pension plan funded and going.

That's today's lesson in Global Market Strategy and Global Positioning Strategy.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:13 PM

1,019 posts, read 590,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
You're not looking at the dynamics of your suggestion. You've just increased payroll on every entry level job by 4 times. Businesses can only recoup those costs by laying off or raising prices...and of course they could just close their doors. None of those will help the economy and certainly not the housing market.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Money that changes hands in exchange for nothing, is empty, valueless money. It degrades the entire money supply. Money represents value, and giving it to someone without a corresponding exchange of value is a disasterous proposition.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is the new American Education.
Lower the Bar so that No Child is Left Behind.

I think we've now just put the bar on the ground and are carrying them over it.
That's what has been done for a certain segment of our society. You figure out which one.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
The rich and wealthy corporations have done very well in the past decade, even as they have decimated the middle class by outsourcing their jobs. Now they want all of the budget balancing to be done in the form of cuts to Medicare, foodstamps, welfare, etc - all the programs that are keeping the middle afloat, and the poor alive.

Why don't they just vote to kill everyone except themselves and be done with it?

Obama would just be allowing the previous tax cuts for the rich expire - do they want to give one penny away? No, because they are rich, selfish and greedy.

'With the clock ticking toward an Aug. 2 deadline, senior Republicans said negotiations led by Vice President Joe Biden had ceased making headway as congressional Democrats pressed for as much as $400 billion in new taxes on corporations and the nation's wealthiest households.'

Debt-reduction talks hit an impasse
The difference between the rich and poor is that

the rich are

rich, selfish and greedy,

but

the poor, much to their "credit", are

poor, selfish and greedy (and largely lazy).

Anyone who wants to increase the level of taxation on the economy, regardless of the point of suction, is a fool, pure and simple.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
That's what has been done for a certain segment of our society. You figure out which one.
Judging from this posting
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. Money that changes hands in exchange for nothing, is empty, valueless money. It degrades the entire money supply. Money represents value, and giving it to someone without a corresponding exchange of value is a disasterous proposition.
Wnat to tell me what one you belong to?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Judging from this posting

Wnat to tell me what one you belong to?
Sure, I belong to the College educated, BS and MS, job and a business, work 14 hours a day, 6 1/2 days a week, segment. Any questions? Dismissed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies