Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 06:19 PM

865 posts, read 623,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
More demand=more employment. Not enough money=not enough demand. Give money, and a lot of it, to everyone to spend and you will see a big turn around in the economy. Up the minimum wage by 4X and you will see the housing prices going up not down. This will get more long term growth.
You're not looking at the dynamics of your suggestion. You've just increased payroll on every entry level job by 4 times. Businesses can only recoup those costs by laying off or raising prices...and of course they could just close their doors. None of those will help the economy and certainly not the housing market.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yep, we jumped almost 10% of the population paying zero, in the couple short years Obama has been elected president.. Another 4 years, and only the top 10% will pay, and the left will still be whining about not getting enough..
This is also a major reason the deficit has exploded recently. It's bad enough to have out of control spending. But then to take a huge % of people out of the income tax paying pool (who are quite capable of paying) makes the deficit situation all the worse. It's almost like they are trying to destroy the system.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
You're not looking at the dynamics of your suggestion. You've just increased payroll on every entry level job by 4 times. Businesses can only recoup those costs by laying off or raising prices...and of course they could just close their doors. None of those will help the economy and certainly not the housing market.
You'll find yourself coming here simply for the humor of what some people say. These will be the same people moaning and groaning because an entry level house jumps from $100K to $400K, or gas goes to $10 a gallon, or a Big Mac meal goes to $12.00, the'll of course blame corporate greed because they dont comprehend that the money needs to come from somewhere to pay for the excess salaries.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
You'll find yourself coming here simply for the humor of what some people say. These will be the same people moaning and groaning because an entry level house jumps from $100K to $400K, or gas goes to $10 a gallon, or a Big Mac meal goes to $12.00, the'll of course blame corporate greed because they dont comprehend that the money needs to come from somewhere to pay for the excess salaries.
Thanks for the tip...I'm definitely finding these threads enlightening. I don't know many liberals in my personal life, it's fascinating to see how they think.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,472 times
The way I see it, we have to stop entitlements, welfare and medicare to stop the transfer of funds to the semi-rich (250k up) from the middle class. Poor people use a ton of govt money for very expensive medical treatment/devices and everyday purchases that they have no other way to afford. So entitlements create a "fake demand". And guess who profits from this at the expense of taxpayers? Big corporations (who can offer lowest prices such that poor people buy their stuff there a lot) and medical industry (who give treatment like dialysis, experimental cancer treatments, and transplants to very poor people). If the poor have extra money and funding, the corporations and semi-rich can continue to mark up the prices of these services and products.

Of course the implementation of this information would make me lose many customers and lower my salary, but I don't care. I would much rather that the nation is fixed.

As for how to deal with the ultra-ultra-rich (10 million+ assets), that is a whole different topic...

Taxing the rich more won't stop the hemorrhaging and waste of taxpayer money.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:34 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
The rich could care less about America, do you think the WALTONs cared as thousands of american factories and stores closed while he and his family were becoming the richest people in the country.
They will take their ill gotten gains to China and India leaving us and the politicians who were on their payroll in a third world country

Old 06-24-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The rich could care less about America, do you think the WALTONs cared as thousands of american factories and stores closed while he and his family were becoming the richest people in the country.
They will take their ill gotten gains to China and India leaving us and the politicians who were on their payroll in a third world country
That must have happened after it went off the air. Last I remember, Johnboy went off to college, but Pa still worked his lumber mill at home. Did they strike oil like the Clampetts? Can I get those on Netflix?

[/comicrelief]

Old 06-24-2011, 07:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
Round up min wage to $8

$8x4 = $32/hour X 40 hours = $1280/week x 52 weeks =$66,560.

Your average HS/GED unskilled burger flipper is now making $66K per year

That's more then entry level college graduate degree folks.
That more than teacher starting salaries.

Your burger flipper just became mid middle class.
Have 2 burger flippers in the family and you now make over $100K per year.

You're looking at probably $200 burgers to contain that type of labor cost.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:16 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
At least they pay income tax. That's better than 40% of Americans.

I would suggest that Walmart has done quite a bit for the poor American by giving them a job.
I love how you imply that "giving" someone a job is an act of charity that is bestowed by the altruistic wealthy. Why not just say that the poor are so generous that they "give" their time and labor to Walmart? Both statements are ridiculous. Walmart doesn't "give" anything away when it pays someone $8 an hour to make a profit that exceeds $8 an hour.

Last edited by WestCobb; 06-24-2011 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 07:27 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,527 times
Quote:
I often ask myself how so many of these people managed to graduate
And Vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies