Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:07 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times

Advertisements

The facts cited here, with references, are generally verifiable in the Encyclopedia Britannica which was printed on hemp paper for 150 years:

* All schoolbooks were made from hemp or flax paper until the 1880s; Hemp Paper Reconsidered, Jack Frazier, 1974.

* It was LEGAL TO PAY TAXES WITH HEMP in America from 1631 until the early 1800s; LA Times, Aug. 12, 1981.

* REFUSING TO GROW HEMP in America during the 17th and 18th Centuries WAS AGAINST THE LAW! You could be jailed in Virginia for refusing to grow hemp from 1763 to 1769; Hemp in Colonial Virginia, G. M. Herdon.

* George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and other founding fathers GREW HEMP; Washington and Jefferson Diaries. Jefferson smuggled hemp seeds from China to France then to America.

* Benjamin Franklin owned one of the first paper mills in America and it processed hemp. Also, the War of 1812 was fought over hemp. Napoleon wanted to cut off Moscow's export to England; Emperor Wears No Clothes, Jack Herer.

* For thousands of years, 90% of all ships' sails and rope were made from hemp. The word 'canvas' is Dutch for cannabis; Webster's New World Dictionary.

* 80% of all textiles, fabrics, clothes, linen, drapes, bed sheets, etc. were made from hemp until the 1820s with the introduction of the cotton gin.

* The first Bibles, maps, charts, Betsy Ross's flag, the first drafts of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were made from hemp; U.S. Government Archives.

* The first crop grown in many states was hemp. 1850 was a peak year for Kentucky producing 40,000 tons. Hemp was the largest cash crop until the 20th Century; State Archives.

* Oldest known records of hemp farming go back 5000 years in China, although hemp industrialization probably goes back to ancient Egypt.

* Rembrants, Gainsboroughs, Van Goghs as well as most early canvas paintings were principally painted on hemp linen.

* In 1916, the U.S. Government predicted that by the 1940s all paper would come from hemp and that no more trees need to be cut down. Government studies report that 1 acre of hemp equals 4.1 acres of trees. Plans were in the works to implement such programs; Department of Agriculture

* Quality paints and varnishes were made from hemp seed oil until 1937. 58,000 tons of hemp seeds were used in America for paint products in 1935; Sherman Williams Paint Co. testimony before Congress against the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act.

* Henry Ford's first Model-T was built to run on hemp gasoline and the CAR ITSELF WAS CONTRUCTED FROM HEMP! On his large estate, Ford was photographed among his hemp fields. The car, 'grown from the soil,' had hemp plastic panels whose impact strength was 10 times stronger than steel; Popular Mechanics, 1941.

Hemp used properly for all of its INDUSTRIAL purposes, as it was always meant to be utilized, could…

SAVE THE WORLD! We need not cut down another tree. We need not have to rely on Oil Companies anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,515,028 times
You expected them to say something different?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, obviously it does not. There is nothing in pot that you can't get from other medication. Except the intoxicating effects of course, which is the only people people defend it.
I don't smoke pot for medicinal or recreational purposes.

I know however that it allowed a family member to eat by increasing his appetite and reducing nausea during chemotherapy. Trust me, he didn't smoke it for recreational purposes. They came out with a pill containing THC which he also tried but did not get the same results.

I strongly support the use of Medicinal Marijuana.

For that matter I strongly support the use of Marijuana for recreational purposes. Because it's not my thing, why should I care what another does as long as it doesn't hurt me?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:20 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I have 2 friends w/ MS. They have tried drug after drug, w/ little relief. Marijuana is one of the very few things that ease their pain, help them to function. What a crying shame that the govt is denying these good, upstanding citizens of help w/ their debilitating disease. Neither of these ladies did more than try a few puffs in their teens, are married moms w/ children. Unfortunately, they both live in states where MM is illegal.
My son has cerebral palsy. if MM were legal, then more studies could be done to see if it helps the spasticity that millions of Americans w/ CP suffer from, w/ few to no other treatments that help. I have read many reports that it does help people w/ the relentless rigid ,stiff muscles due to CP. All they have now for kids w/ CP is a drug called Baclofen, which has horrid side affects, and Botox injections, which we don't know the long-term affects of, the FDA hasn't approved, and has not helped my son.
I also have MS and it is the only thing that will help the pain and tremors/spasticity I get. These aren't problems everyday so I refuse to take the prescribed meds since they make me feel high all the dang time and unable to drive or otherwise function. If I use mj, I only need it when I am feeling bad (and can control my environment such as being at home). I have tried Baclofen, Neurontin, and Lyrica and they all made me feel higher than anything illegal I have tried. I was told before I tried any of these prescribed pharmaceuticals that I could either have my body or brain (if I wanted my brain, don't take these). Both people I know that take Lyrica daily for their ailments slur there words. Powerful stuff!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I don't see a big problem, the people who want to smoke weed already do, it's such a non issue, I can buy weed anytime I want to.
Most people just don't care.
There is a big problem pertaining to those who are ill. Many folks don't realize that patients who require strong narcotics to control pain constantly in many cases are required to sign a contract with their doctor that they can be drug tested at anytime, at the patients expense, to make sure the patient is obeying their drug intake prescribe by their doctor. My wife is not a pot smoker, never was but would be willing to try it only if prescribed by her doctor otherwise she can lose her care if she tested positive for THC.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
It is one thing for them to say it has no medical use, there is a burden of proof to be met there (and I believe it is increasingly being met), but to classify it as a "highly dangerous drug"? There are several thousand years of a glaring lack of evidence for that.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,767,375 times
If you have pain and it takes away the pain, technically that is medicating the pain. Regardless of what medical properties marijuana has, it is stupid to make a plant illegal.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
I also have MS and it is the only thing that will help the pain and tremors/spasticity I get. These aren't problems everyday so I refuse to take the prescribed meds since they make me feel high all the dang time and unable to drive or otherwise function. If I use mj, I only need it when I am feeling bad (and can control my environment such as being at home). I have tried Baclofen, Neurontin, and Lyrica and they all made me feel higher than anything illegal I have tried. I was told before I tried any of these prescribed pharmaceuticals that I could either have my body or brain (if I wanted my brain, don't take these). Both people I know that take Lyrica daily for their ailments slur there words. Powerful stuff!
Lyrica is a nasty drug advertised constantly on TV " If you have suicidal thoughts, consult your doctor". The doctor who was the head of Lyrica and Cymbolta research for its qualities and to help push to market and pass the FDA was found guilty rigging the reports of the dangers of these drugs. These drugs are being pushed as pain killers and to replace narcotics with the blessing of the FDA and DEA. Lyrica can make you gain weight at a very quick rate, nightmares, severe dizziness and slurred speech.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I am not a pro-pot legalization proponent but I find the hypocrisy astounding that on one hand the DEA is granting licenses to Big Pharma to produce medical marijuana and on the other the FDA claiming it has no medicinal use. It's all about the $$.

DEA allows big pharma to grow pot
Why not?

BTW...that's a pretty good piece. Didn't know about that.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Lyrica is a nasty drug advertised constantly on TV " If you have suicidal thoughts, consult your doctor". The doctor who was the head of Lyrica and Cymbolta research for its qualities and to help push to market and pass the FDA was found guilty rigging the reports of the dangers of these drugs. These drugs are being pushed as pain killers and to replace narcotics with the blessing of the FDA and DEA. Lyrica can make you gain weight at a very quick rate, nightmares, severe dizziness and slurred speech.

But since it is legal, and distributed by big pharm, that's OK! (SARCASM of course.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies